ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanting a pump for informal clay shooting.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:22 pm 
Utility Grade

This is my first post I'm a new shotgun shooter. I have been at it for about a year. Nothing serious just practice at local range and one trip to a sporting clays course ( I really sucked!).

I have a few CZ SxS and a CZ English Sporter O/U. Last weekend I shot with a friend who had a Ithaca 37. I really liked shooting the pump gun. It got me thinking about getting one.

I'm some what of a traditionalist. I have been looking at nice Winchester Model 12s with Imp cyl choke and the New Ithaca 37 with choke tubes and 30" ridded barrel. I would pay extra for the AAA wood with the Ithaca.

Any advice for which one would make a better pump gun for informal clay shooting.

Last edited by Gard72977 on Mon May 18, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Wanting a jump for informal clay shooting.
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:04 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't know which of those guns is better mechanically. but fit of the shotgun, while it does not have to be perfect, is important. if you don't know what to look for in fit, go back to the sporting clays course and ask around.....someone knowledgeable can show you in a couple minutes what to look for. then handle both of those guns and any others of interest......what fits you and feels better. for informal shooting and a fixed choke, IC is a good choice.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gard72977 wrote:
I'm some what of a traditionalist. I have been looking at nice Winchester Model 12s with Imp cyl choke and the New Ithaca 37 with choke tubes and 30" ridded barrel.

The Winchester 12 and Ithaca 37 are both true classics. Both attract diehard fans. Figure out which one you love and go for it. You can't go wrong with either one.

Chances are, this next one won't be the last one you buy. Chalk it up to part of your education.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:33 am 
Crown Grade

Two of the all time greats. See which fits the best and buy it!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Forget about the pump gun and get yourself a nice O/U.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:15 am 
Crown Grade

I would also look at the Browning BPS, reliable, parts and repairs easily done, heavy enough to soak up recoil

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Post subject: Re: Wanting a pump for informal clay shooting.
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:54 am 
Utility Grade

This is just hobby for me. I have been shooting my SxS a lot and can really tell the difference. I shot a friend's Ithaca and really enjoyed it.

I think I want both the Model 12 and the New Ithaca 37. There is something interesting about shooting a gun that is 75years old. I do see some advantages with a new Ithaca. Long barrel with vent rib and screw in chokes would help.

I think I'm going to get a vingage model 12 first.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Get the model 12 and update it with a rib, a reblue and refinish the wood. Tubes if you want.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Gard72977 wrote:
This is just hobby for me. I have been shooting my SxS a lot and can really tell the difference. I shot a friend's Ithaca and really enjoyed it.

I think I want both the Model 12 and the New Ithaca 37. There is something interesting about shooting a gun that is 75years old. I do see some advantages with a new Ithaca. Long barrel with vent rib and screw in chokes would help.

I think I'm going to get a vingage model 12 first.

Well now! There you go! The answer to your dilemma.....buy `em both!! :D

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I realized after I made the post that I really want them both.....

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:11 pm 
Field Grade

Benelli Super Nova. It's a tank in disguise.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 am 
Crown Grade

I also shoot SxSs about 95% of the time, but on occasion shoot one of my Remington pumps. The model 31 was considered one of the smoothest working pumps, and the 870 that followed it has quite a following. Rudy Etchen, a trap shooting hall of famer, shot the same 870 50 years apart and had a 100 straight in trap doubles. Many shooters still shoot the 870 in registered trap events.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:12 am 
Crown Grade

Gard72977 wrote:
This is my first post I'm a new shotgun shooter. I have been at it for about a year. Nothing serious just practice at local range and one trip to a sporting clays course ( I really sucked!).

I have a few CZ SxS and a CZ English Sporter O/U. Last weekend I shot with a friend who had a Ithaca 37. I really liked shooting the pump gun. It got me thinking about getting one.

I'm some what of a traditionalist. I have been looking at nice Winchester Model 12s with Imp cyl choke and the New Ithaca 37 with choke tubes and 30" ridded barrel. I would pay extra for the AAA wood with the Ithaca.

Any advice for which one would make a better pump gun for informal clay shooting.

If you’re happy with CZ, get a 612 Target. Very affordable, ready to cream clays.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:57 pm 
Crown Grade

I use an Ithaca Model 37 to shoot both sporting clays and 5-stand. The big issue, and one that takes a bit to get right, is loading the bottom ejection gun. It was awkward loading 2 until I learned how to get the first shell in the chamber without having to rack the slide each time. Then things got a lot easier. On a side ejection, they are much easier to load.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:36 am 
Field Grade

870 Wingmaster is my $0.02

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'll also concur with the CZ Target. It's a very nice Pump with adjustable shims to fit the gun to your dimensions. Shot a demo one at the Nationals in 2018. Liked it so much bought one and competed at the Nationals and whatever event that becomes available. Great gun.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:26 am 
Tournament Grade

I just picked up a Winchester 1300 in 20 gauge. Very inexpensive gun. I love shooting that gun.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

We shoot a side game at my club - pump gun Friday. In SCs, 8 stations with 6 birds, all on report. Number 9 station a true pair for 50 birds. It's the only time we allow more than two shells loaded. Just about everyone bought a 870 and the extended magazine tube from Brownells. There was a little learning curve with the pump - short racks and just forgetting to rack it. I'm known for shooting only SxSs, but also being a Remington man the 870 was allowed. Now they want to shoot some 410 leagues/events. So I got another 870 in 410. Then a Mec 600. The guys are shooting two Mossburgs and four 870s so far with a couple of those Turkish O/Us for the 410 events. I think Remington is up to 11 million 870s sold. The Model 12 will cost more to be fixed - not in production any more. The Ithaca is a bottom eject.

Last edited by bladesmith on Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:53 am 
Utility Grade

Well this really took a detour! I bought a Benelli Ethos Sport as my main Clay's gun. Can't wait for it to come in.

I may still add a vintage pump later.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:39 am 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Two of the all time greats. See which fits the best and buy it!

^^^^^^^^^^^