ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wanting a pump for informal clay shooting.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Gard72977 wrote:
This is my first post I'm a new shotgun shooter. I have been at it for about a year. Nothing serious just practice at local range and one trip to a sporting clays course ( I really sucked!).

I have a few CZ SxS and a CZ English Sporter O/U. Last weekend I shot with a friend who had a Ithaca 37. I really liked shooting the pump gun. It got me thinking about getting one.

I'm some what of a traditionalist. I have been looking at nice Winchester Model 12s with Imp cyl choke and the New Ithaca 37 with choke tubes and 30" ridded barrel. I would pay extra for the AAA wood with the Ithaca.

Any advice for which one would make a better pump gun for informal clay shooting.

Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lb1Y9k ... e=emb_logo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 pm 
Utility Grade

No that's not what I expect to accomplish........

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

gard, it's not a detour if you talk about pump guns. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:49 am 
Utility Grade

I grew up hunting rabbits and quail with grandpa's Model 12 20 gauge. I put a lot of meat on the dinner table with that gun. I had my own 20 gauge Model 12 for some years but found as I aged and retired even in 20 gauge the nickel steel was tasking me. I managed to find a matched pair of Winchester 1200's in 12 and 20 in Skeet grade that are the cats' meow for a weak old man. I even ran the 20 to top gun in my club's sub gauge tournament a few months back. Most everybody shoots O/U and I can beat most of them with 60 year old pump guns. I giggle every time I think about it. :twisted:

Yes, I know, 1200's won't stand up to high volume clay shooting. Hell, I'm 73! How much volume do you think I have left? These will be running long after I'm gone, I didn't spend inheritance money and can shoot to the top of my club outings. Get whatever gun appeals to you then go shoot snot out of it. It's a game, I'm old and it's all about having fun with friends.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:53 am 
Crown Grade

Good deal Buck45, sounds like you have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:37 pm 
Field Grade

Buck45,
Right on!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:20 pm 
Field Grade

This post makes me really happy. I was about to start a thread called "I've never pointed a shotgun at the sky. Can I have fun at the range with a Wingmaster 26" 20 gauge, or do I need an O/U?"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:32 pm 
Crown Grade

No, you need to have an O/U. Better make it a stupid expensive one while you’re at it.:-)

It, you could probably have fun with your 870, if you tried hard.