ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Golf carts Gas vs. Electric
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:12 am 
Presentation Grade

oneounceload wrote:
bladesmith wrote:
I own two battery carts and you'd think being a retired electrician I'd know better. Being very careful about keeping them fully charged when ever possible they still need new batteries every 5 or 6 years. That figures out to about a hundred a year for batteries. My friends sure don't put that much in their gas carts.

We'll call the cost of gas versus electricity a wash so it comes down to maintenance. My gas cart needs an annual tuneup; with no way to crawl under, I take to someone (am about to anyway). That tune-up runs right at $125. When I priced batteries after my mom died, they were running right at $800 every 5-6 years (48V system), so that is also basically a wash.

My gas rig a Kawasaki 600 has had 1 spark plug in 15 years and an oil and filter change every year and 1 battery. That comes to about $25.70/year + gas and It only needs about 10 gal/year.

CT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

That's awesome! My understanding was that some of those UTVs have a LOT of zerk fittings all over than need to be greased regularly.............

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:12 am 
Presentation Grade

oneounceload wrote:
That's awesome! My understanding was that some of those UTVs have a LOT of zerk fittings all over than need to be greased regularly.............

1oz,

Don't know about other makes but no zerks on the Mule.
It has been as reliable as one could ask for. I do use high grade oil and top line filters as insurance.

CT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:

Takes under 10, maybe only 5 minutes per year to pump grease into my Polaris suspension zerks.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Awesome, good to know

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:57 pm 
Limited Edition

I used my cart with the solar charging system and the 2 new 12 volt automotive cooling fans this past weekend. We shot 2 100 bird courses and the new system kept the batteries well charged even though the sky was overcast and half of the course was in deep shade in the woods. The charge never fell below 48 volts when the cart was at rest. By the time I hauled the cart back home the charge was up to 50.7 volts. The fans worked great and we were glad to have them; it was warm and very humid. The best part is that I won AA in the morning and picked up 2 magical punches.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Excellent!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have both kinds... gas and electric...Polaris Ev and Honda 1000 ...gas all the way no doubt.