Shotgun Forum banner

Helice

11K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  Colonel Angus 
#1 ·
I'm lucky to have a Helice ring 30 minutes from my home (Selwood Farm)
I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago, and I have to admit it is a little expensive at $3 a target.
I have shot the last three weekends and have had a ball, it is very challenging and is also addictive.
You never see the same target twice and it takes a strong hit to separate the cap.

If you like to wing shoot or clay shoot, I recommend you try it at least once, just getting to see the guns some guys bring is worth it, lots of really nice Superposed and really nice SxS's.

#5 ·
Gunsite Guy said:
I would shoot it regardless of cost, once. I guess that would determine if I shoot it again ;^)

I have no idea where it is offered. Maybe some SGW members could report. Most anywhere is possible but I do avoid communist locales.

s/f Steve
Tucson Trap and Skeet / Coyote Springs Sporting Clays has a permanent field. They have jackpots nearly every weekend, but the field is open to the public seven days a week.

Reactions: ColtAuto7
#7 ·
Here is a video (it promotes the maker's automatic machines) but gives some good video of shot being taken.
Watch for the techno music background

#9 ·
Kannoncocker said:
jusanothajoe said:
If anyone wanted to try it and your willing to make the trek to Alabama, I'll be glad to go shoot with you.
May join you for that, Joe. I've been telling myself "I'll go to Selwood" for three years now, so maybe it's time.

How large is the typical crowd on a weekend?
I have shot the last three Saturdays, usually always a group shooting on Saturday.
usually 5-10 shooters.
Selwood has a Helice Race every third Saturday of the month.
30 bird race and lunch provided, 15 shooters this past Saturday.
I'm shooting in a sporting clay shoot this Saturday, and July 4th the next Saturday, but after that I'll be glad to meet you there.

#10 ·
jusanothajoe said:
If you like to wing shoot or clay shoot, I recommend you try it at least once, just getting to see the guns some guys bring is worth it, lots of really nice Superposed and really nice SxS's.
Unless you can find a live bird shoot this is a true statement. It's as close to live box birds as it gets. Great stuff. I hope it grows in popularity. Standard clay games are nothing like it.

#11 ·
Helice is great fun when shot in small groups of shooters. I went to the NA Cham'ps in Dallas and shot w/ 86 other shooters. It too about 10 hrs for us all the finish. That was HELL to me.

#12 ·
sera said:
Helice is great fun when shot in small groups of shooters. I went to the NA Cham'ps in Dallas and shot w/ 86 other shooters. It too about 10 hrs for us all the finish. That was HELL to me.
Ten hours, ouch! You'd want three rings for that many shooters.
I'm at a private shoot today with 61 registered and there will be three rings running. We should be done in four-five hours not including the Calcutta.
Hard to build interest in the sport with wait times like that.

#15 ·
oyeme said:
Looks like a bunch of fun and addictive! I would love to try it!
East of you is South Florida Shooting Club; they have the only Helice ring I am aware of in Florida. You'll need to be the guest of someone. If you attend a registered trap, skeet or sporting event there (all open to the public) perhaps you might be able to get a chance to shoot some helice.

#16 ·
Thank you, I will check into it if temperatures & humidity drop below 96! Heat index today & balance of week is supposed to feel like 110 degrees! Hotter than the hinges to Hell! Sheesh! Another lovely Summer in the Swamps! :shock:

I appreciate the info.

#19 ·
Dallas Gun Club
Texas 46 Helice
Abilene Clay Sports
Austin Gun Club
Elm Fork
ASC
I think there's also one at Windwalker in Midland but I'm not sure.
And probably a few more in Houston. I don't get down that way much.

Once you get to know the crowd there are opportunities for private ZZ, box bird, and columbaire shoots on private ranches.

PM me for more info.

#22 ·
This is my favorite shotgun discipline, really hope to see more rings added. And I like when clubs make a designated tournament on like a particular one Sunday out of the month. I feel like that's how they pay for it, one good weekend a month with a bunch of shooters and it will pay for itself, a lot of people complain that it's expensive, but the pay out is good, it's a very crowd and spectator friendly game, we love heckling and kidding each other, it is nice when you shoot at a club with multiple rings to speed up the race. All I can say is it's my favorite game by far, I think I even enjoy it more then the game it was made to replace, lighter shells and lighter on the wallet, but who am I kidding, I love shooting at a pigeon...