ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting with TSK Stock
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I have only been shooting sporting clays this past year. I am considering upgrading my Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting Black (12 gauge) to a TSK stock. Does anyone have any opinion on this option? Is thee anything that I should be aware of?

Post subject: Re: Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting with TSK Stock
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:35 am 
Crown Grade

The stock will be worth more than the gun. Something to think about.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:16 am 
Utility Grade

Yes, I realize this. I have never seen this stock in use on the sporting course and curious if it would make a difference there. The gun is a real clay buster, but I think that adding a custom stock or maybe a TSK (both expensive options) would make a difference in helping me improve to the next level. I am very new to shooting (1 year in) and open to exploring. At this time, I do not see myself in the next few years making the big jump too a premium O/U and I do not want to purchase a mediocre one now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:11 am 
Crown Grade

Equipment won't buy you targets. Lessons from an instructor with a proven track record will. Save the 2k for lessons, targets and ammo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:28 am 
Utility Grade

I totally agree. I work with a world class shooter and instructor weekly and practice in between since I took up the sport. I am just pushing to better myself

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Robert M. wrote:
I totally agree. I work with a world class shooter and instructor weekly and practice in between since I took up the sport. I am just pushing to better myself

Equipment doesn't make up for mediocre skills. Don't waste 2k on equipment until you have developed your skills. Save the $$ for your upgraded gun later on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:23 pm 
Crown Grade

lt0026 is talking sense Robert. Don't mess with your set up without first checking with your instructor.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:27 pm 
Limited Edition

On the other hand, I think there is something to be said about your equipment if it is limiting you. Is there a fitment issue with your current setup? Shooting a gun that does not fit will certainly limit your ability to score well. Even at a beginner or intermediate skill level, investing in a well fit stock or new gun can absoluting result in an increase in targets.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Robert M. wrote:

What does the instructor say? Usually the first thing they do is make sure your gun fits. If you haven't had a fitting with your current gun do that first.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gun fit and natural hand to eye coordination is the very basis of championship scores. Technique is learned then practiced until good habit develops. Mental skills/discipline will always remain the most important part of clay shooting. Confidence is learned/developed and easily lost.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:51 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your advice, my shooting coach is very supportive of a custom stock on all guns. I totally trust his judgement as he has been exceptional coach (and is also an exceptional competitive shooter). I just wanted to explore other opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:49 am 
Tournament Grade

www.shotgunreport.com just posted a video on TSK stocks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Robert M. wrote:
I have only been shooting sporting clays this past year. I am considering upgrading my Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting Black (12 gauge) to a TSK stock. Does anyone have any opinion on this option? Is thee anything that I should be aware of?

I doubt you'll be able to put one on because the recoil spring extends out the back of the receiver, right where the TSK stock would be. The only way to rig something like that on a semi-auto is if nothing extends out the back, like on a Remington V3.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:32 am 
Utility Grade

Coles in Naples can do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm 
Crown Grade

mpolans wrote:
Robert M. wrote:

I doubt you'll be able to put one on because the recoil spring extends out the back of the receiver, right where the TSK stock would be. The only way to rig something like that on a semi-auto is if nothing extends out the back, like on a Remington V3.

FYI: The A 400 Xcel doesn't have a recoil spring in the butt stock. They can and are installed on the A400.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

lt0026 wrote:
mpolans wrote:
Robert M. wrote:

FYI: The A 400 Xcel doesn't have a recoil spring in the butt stock. They can and are installed on the A400.

My mistake. I thought it did, but on closer examination, looks like the rod out of the back was just to attach the stock. Saw pics of the Coles gun. Looks neat, but too bad they didn't do the glove grip.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Coles does a great job with this gun. As an instructor, I wish I had folks willing to pony up and get a great fit in a gun at the beginning. Would save me headaches and him money in the long run. Yes his mount will change with experience but I can then adjust with him as we go. If he wants and OU later, we can go that route, but the A400/TSK is a solid combo.

Too many guys show up with a $500 gun that runs a few weeks and dies. Then they search the internet for a mid-level gun and spend $2500. It has muzzle jump and needs stock work, and they limp along for a while until they buy a used mid-level gun at $4000 that may come close. So now they're $7000 into a first truly decent fitting gun. Better off to spend $3000 on the first one and skip much of the pain.

Rich can also do more of a true glove fit; it's only money.