ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Recommendation for 1st O/U
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:05 pm 
Field Grade

Coopdog wrote:
jml wrote:
Just don’t buy a cheap O /U ....... Stick with Browning or Beretta...... in the long run you wont be disappointed....

How does the Beretta Silver Pigeon I compare to the Browning CXS?

They fit quite different. All my research last year pointed me toward a CXS, I wanted it bad. Found a course that rented both the CXS and the SP1. After shooting them both side by side for a 100 shots at sporting clays, discovered that I simply could not shoulder the CXS correctly. Talked with one of their instructors and he verified it just didn't fit me.

I bought the SP1, but that is not a recommendation just my story. If the CXS had fit it would have been a different story...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:22 pm 
Field Grade

Misplaced Lead wrote:
Coopdog wrote:
jml wrote:
Just don’t buy a cheap O /U ....... Stick with Browning or Beretta...... in the long run you wont be disappointed....

How does the Beretta Silver Pigeon I compare to the Browning CXS?

They fit quite different. All my research last year pointed me toward a CXS, I wanted it bad. Found a course that rented both the CXS and the SP1. After shooting them both side by side for a 100 shots at sporting clays, discovered that I simply could not shoulder the CXS correctly. Talked with one of their instructors and he verified it just didn't fit me.

I bought the SP1, but that is not a recommendation just my story. If the CXS had fit it would have been a different story...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:28 pm 
Field Grade

Good advice. I will try both before I buy one. I shoot mostly left handed. I am leaning toward the CXS with adjustable comb. Because the CXS has a neutral cast, it will be easier to re-sell than a SP1 LH. So I am taking resell value into account as well. But as you say, fit is the most important between these two

Last edited by Coopdog on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Coopdog wrote:
Good advice. I will try both before I buy one. I shoot mostly left handed. I am leaning toward the CXS with adjustable comb. Because the CXS has a neutral cant, it will be easier to re-sell than a SP1 LH. So I am taking resell value into account as well. But as you say, fit is the most important between these two

If you need the cast, you need the cast. Resale value isn’t going to help you use a gun that doesn’t fit. And bending the stock after the purchase to add the cast could certainly be needed, but won’t be worth as much resale as having Beretta LH wood to start with. Actually the market for LH guns is pretty strong. I would start with the gun that is most likely to fit, not least likely. With luck that will be the gun you like the best. Aftermarket modifications might be needed anyway, so don’t make a decision that depends upon avoiding them.

Last edited by rpenmanparker on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

Have you considered an SKB?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:58 am 
Presentation Grade

You don't say your budget, but if you're looking at new Browning 725s and Beretta 686s, you can also probably look at a used Beretta 682 Gold E (or other 682), used Perazzi MT6, used Zoli Kronos, and maybe a used Caesar Guerini. I think I also saw a Krieghoff K32 with 30" or 32" barrels and K80 trigger updates for about $3k online somewhere recently in one of the forums.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm 
Field Grade

I didn't want to start a new thread, since seems pretty on point, but I'm about to try trap, and the local range isn't doing rentals during COVID, so I thought it might be an excuse to pick up a shotgun. :)

I grew up around rifles, and I've owned a variety of handguns (currently a 1911, a Ruger Mk III, and a 686), but I've probably shot 15-20 shotgun shells in my life.

Is the Mossberg Silver Reserve II at all worthwhile as I try out trap? I'm assuming it will swing and point better than comparable $500 guns designed for other purposes (870s, 500s, SXPs, etc.), but maybe I'm wrong? Is the Silver Reserve the kind of gun you hold on to as a vackup for friends after you know what you're doing, or is it something you get rid of at a steep loss as you move on?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Can someone enlighten me as to which Browning O/U has an automatic safety ? I must have missed that model. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

captjsjr wrote:
Can someone enlighten me as to which Browning O/U has an automatic safety ? I must have missed that model. Thanks

Pretty much every field model of recent O/U of any make has an auto safety while
competition models have a manual safety.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks Jaspo , I just haven’t kept up with the recent offerings from Browning. What I have read on Brownings website only mentions “manual” safeties. Most of mine are pre ‘66. I appreciate the reply.