ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st O/U
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:08 pm 
Field Grade

I am kinda liking the SKB 90TSS Sporting. It comes in a left hand version. Almost $1,000 less than a similarly equipped Citori. I have not seen one in person, but it is very adjustable out of the box, so fit should not be a problem. Any feedback?

Post subject: Re: 1st O/U
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:37 pm 
Limited Edition

The old SKB out of Japan were great shotguns. The new SKB are Turkish and maybe not so. You get what you pay for. I would go for the Citori

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:12 pm 
Crown Grade

kgwolo wrote:
The old SKB out of Japan were great shotguns. The new SKB are Turkish and maybe not so. You get what you pay for. I would go for the Citori

^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:19 pm 
Field Grade

I don’t believe that you ALWAYS get what you pay for. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. Sometimes you get more than you pay for and sometimes you get less. So, you cannot go by just price alone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

You are correct. I believe the Browning Citori CX with adjustable comb is an example of a shotgun where you get more than what you pay for. It's about the same price as the SKB and a much better shotgun. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872911449

Today's SKBs are not nearly the quality of the old made in Japan SKBs. The Citori beats both by a considerable margin. I am not anti SKB. I've owned a Model 700 Crown Match, a Model 500 field and still own a model 385 SxS. I like them all, but none of them are anywhere near as durable as a Citori.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Going to be very hard to beat a Citori or Beretta 69x for a first clays O/U. IMHO you are way better off buying one of the above used before any of the Turkish versions. Note that while the Turkish guns look quite good from the outside, my smith tells me he's seen internals vary from okay to pure junk (his words).

PS: There's a reason most clubs that rent O/U's, rent Brownings and Berettas -- and that is they both hold up to the rigors of constant use and are relatively easy to get parts for and repair.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:45 pm 
Field Grade

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the present day SKB's. Totally reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 pm 
Field Grade

DEG wrote:
You are correct. I believe the Browning Citori CX with adjustable comb is an example of a shotgun where you get more than what you pay for. It's about the same price as the SKB and a much better shotgun. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872911449

Thank you for your input. I was comparing the Citori CXS White to the SKB 90TSS Sporting. The Citori is about $2,499 https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867646212 compared with the SKB which is about $1,000 less.

So, I wouldn't say the two are about the same price. It looks like the SKB is about $1,500 and the Citori is $2,500. I would rather invest in the Citori, but that's a pretty big price difference. I could save a bit by going with a Citori with blued receiver over the in the white, but still . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:28 pm 
Limited Edition

This one will narrow the gap.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866334099

I own both, 2 new model SKB SxS's and 2 CXS whites.
I have no problem with the SKB's but I think the Browning's are a little better gun.
The one above would be worth the $500 more IMHO.

And the one below is even cheaper.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870742329

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:37 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Justanothajoe. At about 2 large, that CXS looks like the way to go. I think the Citori will hold it’s value better too

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Coopdog wrote:
Thanks Justanothajoe. At about 2 large, that CXS looks like the way to go. I think the Citori will hold it’s value better too

As others have said, you get a great gun for a decent price in the CX series. Good luck with your journey.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Coopdog wrote:

You also get world class barrel regulation with the CXS along with the fact
it is part of the family of the most successful O/U's ever.
They will be around a long time from now with support and solid resale value.
That Turkish SKB could be just a bad memory in 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:08 am 
Field Grade

My personal opinion:

Save the money and buy the Browning, and my opinion lies in the parts longevity. The Browning will literally last you hundreds of thousands of rounds with minimal and very inexpensive parts repair, and looks much nicer.

The triggers in budget guns are a big part of what separate them from guns slightly higher in price like Berettas and Brownings. I have never ever seen a Browning double fire in my life. I have seen it regularly with cheap O/Us.

Many generations of Browning guns have proven this. I personally own a Browning that is in its third generation of use and is still going strong. The SKB has no such record and so I can't really compare it to the Browning at all, to be honest. This seems like a clear choice to me.

This is all just my $0.02.