ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Both eyes open ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:19 am 
Presentation Grade

as someone that started out doing the same thing, calling pull with both eyes open, making the move the mount then I would close my right eye and shoot. I realized that after coming through C and B class that was not going to work, so I just started to force myself to shoot with both eyes open, it was a very humbling experince, but I got the hang of it after a few months, and after my scores got to the bottom of the curve, I started to pick them back up again, event by event.

Shotguns are meant to be pointed not aimed.......you are trying to break a clay using a pattern to essentially "swallow" the target. As mentioned look at the bird and only the leading edge of it, and then your hands and your gun will go to that spot, and you will know with great instinct that it's time to pull the trigger.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me via PM.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:49 pm 
Utility Grade

UPDATE: I posted this thread about three weeks ago. I have done the three shell drill every night after work and have also started the flashlight drill. Today I was able to shoot at a sporting clays beginner course. I was able to shoot both eyes open and did much better. I even busted all six at a couple stations. I really had a great time even with the real feel temp about 96 degrees. I noticed a new problem but will save that for another post. Thanks for all the advice!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:49 am 
Crown Grade

Well done. In case you're not aware, vision operates with muscle control and, as with other types of skill, eye muscles can learn through training.

I know a couple of people who've overcome cross dominance in order to shoot with 2 eyes, and one is a AAA class sporting shot.

As I said above, all it takes is commitment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ditto to what Trickster said.......you have to commit to shooting with both eyes open, the depth perception that you will gain from shooting with both eyes open is going to put you light years ahead of anyone that shoots with only one eye and doesn't make the change.

Keep working at it, and keep us updated.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"