ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choke tubes for trap (Remington 870 20)?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:27 pm 
Field Grade

Hi.

My wife just bought an 870 pump 20 gauge with a 26" barrel (her first firearm ever). It's clearly not a trap gun, but we have a membership at the local trap range, and she wants to get used to it. At some point, when our indoor range opens, we'll head there so she can shoot some buck and slugs at a level target, but for now, she just wants to spend some time on the gun (and really liked shooting trap with a rental during her lesson).

I believe the 870 comes with a MOD choke tube. Any idea what tube we should be using for this kind of shooting?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Choke tubes for trap (Remington 870 20)?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

cormacf wrote:
she wants to get used to it... but for now, she just wants to spend some time on the gun

For your/her described purpose, the Mod. tube will work just fine. Get some 20ga 7/8-ounce #8 lead loads and let her have at it.
If you just want to get another choke tube, many trap shooters shoot a full choke at all yardages, but at 16 yards the Mod. may get her another target or two if she isn't centering them.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Her modified will work fine. You can probably get a tighter choke by simply switching to quality ammo target ammo such as Remington STS or Winchester AA. In theory the better quality ammo should give you a tighter pattern but that is not a sure thing and would need to be verified on a pattern board.

Make sure she has a some good recoil mitigation devices like a quality vest and recoil pad. Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:21 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, all! We just bought vests (she got the Browning Ace for Women and I got the Browning Trapper, and we got got G3 REACTAR pads), so we should be good there. My Mossberg has the old C-LEKT adjustable choke, so I'm curious to try it at a few different settings on the pattern board before I start shooting clays.

Anything that keeps my wife excited about going to the range is a good thing worth buying. I'd rather spend dollars than marriage karma any day. She asked about "going somewhere to practice defensive shooting," so 100 rounds of 20 gauge #4 buckshot and rifled slugs showed up at our door two days later, ready for the range to reopen. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:38 pm 
Crown Grade

cormacf wrote:
Thanks, all! We just bought vests (she got the Browning Ace for Women and I got the Browning Trapper, and we got got G3 REACTAR pads), so we should be good there. My Mossberg has the old C-LEKT adjustable choke, so I'm curious to try it at a few different settings on the pattern board before I start shooting clays.

Anything that keeps my wife excited about going to the range is a good thing worth buying. I'd rather spend dollars than marriage karma any day. She asked about "going somewhere to practice defensive shooting," so 100 rounds of 20 gauge #4 buckshot and rifled slugs showed up at our door two days later, ready for the range to reopen. :)

{hs# You sir, made a very wise choice in a life's mate. Well done and enjoy that time together. I taught my ex how to shoot skeet and she got quite good shooting a 24 after about 6-8 rounds. She lost interest after that.

In retrospect, it may have been symptomatic of suicidal tendencies on my part! :shock: