ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking of buying a Winchester 101
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am thinking of buying a Winchester 101 with a 26 inch barrel. This would be dedicated for Skeet. Anyone have one that they use for Skeet and what do you think of it? What about recoil with one ounce loads?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Post subject: Re: Thinking of buying a Winchester 101
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well, the 26 inch barrels are way out of vogue, now. Does that keep them from breaking targets.............no.
A lot of people who have Winchester 101's say they recoil far more than they should. I'd be one who rather agrees with that.
Unless you can get it for a song, I'd look for something else. In fact, I did. Any time I was looking for a skeet gun, a 101 was NEVER in the running.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Classic Doubles 101 (Same gun as Win 101) with 26.5" barrels and Briley thin wall chokes. I shoot it sometimes at skeet. It weighs 7.5 lbs. It has a 3/4 inch Kickeze pad to my length and pitch. I like shooting the gun and shoot it maybe better than I do my 30" barreled Beretta. I have owned and shot various 101's over the last 50 years and in general like them. I do not think the recoil is excessive for the weight of the guns. 101's generally have thin barrels and are light weight guns. I generally load and shoot 7/8 oz at skeet no matter what gun I am using. I shoot this gun at sporting sometimes and I am just fine with 1 oz loads for the 110 or so shots a round. Some days it is just fun to shoot a gun that is light weight, lively, and that does not swing like a fence post.

I did have to have a trigger job done on the gun I mentioned above because it started to double occasionally. The gun has true mechanical triggers. That is a reasonably common repair for the 101. Fairly cheap and the new trigger pulls are very good. I did over the years have a full/mod gun that was very badly regulated.

If you want a lightweight field gun that doubles as a skeet gun the 101 is a great choice. But if you are only going to shoot clay targets and are going to shoot a lot of them I would recommend just buying a different gun right up front. You just do not need the lightweight feature of the 101 for that use.

Winchester made field guns (which I have always had) and they made target guns. I know nothing of the target guns except that they tend to have inertial triggers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:27 pm 
Field Grade

My friend has one and he loves it - shoots 1-1/8 oz loads out of it regularly. It's not the heaviest gun in the world but it doesn't push you around too much.

I'm used to shooting heavier guns, so it's not my cup of tea personally, but I've heard nothing but good things from people who have owned them.

My buddy is mainly a SC and Trap shooter (he uses his for SC - he has a 725 that he uses for trap) but he likes it since he is used to field guns, and his example shoots pretty much 50/50. I'd say as long as you don't mind having a light weight gun then go for it, and it would be a great field gun. Personally I like having a heavier gun - but then again, I am also one of those people who prefers a heavier field gun as I don't really care about weight all that much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Major146 wrote:
I am thinking of buying a Winchester 101 with a 26 inch barrel.

Would this be a newer, made in Belgium gun, or an older, made in Japan gun?
They are different...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ceh383 wrote:
Major146 wrote:

They are different...

Don't know, it would be a new one. What is the difference?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Major146 wrote:
ceh383 wrote:
Major146 wrote:

They are different...

Stock geometry is different for one thing. The old Japanese 101's were known to give a lot of cheek slap. The newer Belgian built guns are much more comfortable to shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ceh383 wrote:
Major146 wrote:
ceh383 wrote:
Major146 wrote:

They are different...

Stock geometry is different for one thing. The old Japanese 101's were known to give a lot of cheek slap. The newer Belgian built guns are much more comfortable to shoot.

I did end up buying one and the markings on the barrel says it was made in Belgian.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Major146 wrote:
I did end up buying one and the markings on the barrel says it was made in Belgian.

Well, you will be happy with it...I think.
I had an FN SC1, same basic gun, I loved it, wish I still had it.
Enjoy your new gun {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ceh383 wrote:
Major146 wrote:

Well, you will be happy with it...I think.
I had an FN SC1, same basic gun, I loved it, wish I still had it.
Enjoy your new gun {hs#

Thank you but I didn't like it as much as my 3200 and have it up for sale.