ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 Gauge Load Questions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a 28 gauge semi that I am planning on using for dove, upland, and sporting clays, and ducks. I got the gun because of the "ballistic perfection" and the stellar patterns they allegedly throw. My question is, what is the best load to take advantage of that ballistic perfection? Also what choke is best as I know it's a lot different than using a 12 gauge.

I also am going to load some HW13 for ducks out of the 28ga this year. If you have any loads/advice that ya'll have used for ducks you like please share as well!

Post subject: Re: 28 Gauge Load Questions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Best load for what exactly? Difference between sporting clays, trap, skeet and upland birds. Choke decision follows after you have decided what you're using it for.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:49 pm 
Utility Grade

best load for
1. sporting clays
2. dove

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1) Mod
2) Mod

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

All guns pattern differently with different shells and chokes. Time spent at the pattern board will yield the best answers to your question. There are no short cuts.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:33 pm 
Crown Grade

To add to jack's choke selection, I would use Winchester AA's Sporting Clays ammo in 8.5 and 7.5 for both clays and doves

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:37 am 
Crown Grade

"ballistic perfection" - not sure what you mean. If you're referring to the old wives tale about a perfect square load, then you'd be wrong. The 28s equal shot height to bore diameter was suppose to be the perfect combination. Well, a 12ga, .729 bore with 1oz of shot has .681 of shot height, 7/8oz load a .607, and 3.4oz load a .52. Just thought I'd bring up these facts before you go out thinking you've found the perfect gauge to hunt with. I own from 410 to 10ga guns and would never think of going duck hunting with my 28. Doves and clay targets, ya. I like both ends - a 410 for SCs and my 1882 Remington 10ga SxS with 15/16oz of shot. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:43 am 
Crown Grade

abell5 wrote:
... Also what choke is best as I know it's a lot different than using a 12 gauge....

How is a choke different in a 12 gauge as opposed to a 28 gauge?
Do you mean less constriction is required in a 28 than in a 12 to achieve a particular percentage of pellets within a circle?
There is a difference but not sure it is a "lot".
Just curious.

The magic and perfection of a 28 are in the same league as "a 28 hits the pattern board so hard it jars out the tacks holding the paper!". :D

I think that any perfection in the 28 gauge, and that is in the eye of the beholder, is in the match of scaled frame esthetics to a use on birds where ...enough..is easily obtained.
Light, thin-feathered birds most often fitting the bill with the 3/4 ounce load that, pert well, defines the gauge.
Up the pellet count, watch the distance, chose a proper choke and shoot well can allow the 28 gauge to work well above it's union card...same for most any gauge.

I will say that, ime, ruffed grouse shot with a 28 often have more instances of being returned or found with it's head up.
Whether that matters is on the individual but other larger birds are unlikely to make the possibility disappear.
Edging away from the 28's sweet spot happens and should never be covered up by the old golden bb of dumb luck.

Use 'er well, enjoy the 28 gauge but don't fall to being in the 28 Fits All mentality....imo, the birds deserve more than our needs of being a known do-all. {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

50 yrs ago , a gun-writer got some sweet swag and made up that ballistic perfection nonsense.

I have found that 28 will do OK w/ tight chokes starting w/ Mod. My 28 has fixed IM/F chokes and hits hard (but solely when I do my part...there's no magic).

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:59 pm 
Utility Grade

While I'm brand new to the site I love to read opinions. Glad to see the little 28 still strikes the fancy of others. I've been shooting both of mine for over 25 years and while I agree there is no magic it's alway a joy to carry. Always fun to compete along side of my friends shooting their 12's and find I end up about the same success with my little 28's (maybe a few more birds, lucky me ). I'm still shooting dirty old Win 540, that dog gone old 8 lb can seems to last a lifetime. Got to love that little 28!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:57 am 
Field Grade

I can second the use of WWAA sporting clay loads as I have used them and had great success with them on clays and use them for quail and dove hunting. I use the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads for pheasants and prairie chickens. I mostly use the IC and mod chokes in my G2 Bobwhite.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Win 540 (or HS-6) still gets the job done and I couldn’t care less about how dirty it burns.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:41 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
True wingshooting aficionados know that both the 28 ga and 16 ga possess magical qualities which deliver extraordinary performance transcending the pedestrian concepts of the laws of physics.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I use 20/28 in the 28 ga. Aahs hulls and the claybuster wads. Works for me. 20/28 is a touch denser than universal so it crimps better on the aahs hulls, imho. Universal is fine too - unless you have some of the early, shorter aahs hulls.

I have hunted stocked birds with the 28. Found some 1 oz #6 winchester load that did the job. I tend not to take it hunting wild birds, though the kent bismuth loads do fine. Where we hunt there is sometimes a chance at some low flying geese so I prefer to hunt with something I can stuff some BB in if the geese are coming in.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:51 am 
Crown Grade

Use the recipes from the Alliant website for 20/28 powder, or the recipes from the Hodgdon website for Longshot powder. They are good, safe pressure loads and work very well.

The 28 ga. is a fine gun for shooting clays, and upland birds and bunnies as well. But I wouldn't push my 28s for serious waterfowl or turkeys. While it CAN be done, I think that's pushing the limits of "clean kills"!

As far as chokes go, I use the same choke designations for the same distances as I would for my 12 or 20
gauge guns. It works well for me! Don't overthink this.