ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to shoot a 40 yard quartering crosser?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

This presentation never looks right to me. At my club it is also a fast target. If you can describe how best to acquire and shoot this beast, please do.

Post subject: Re: How to shoot a 40 yard quartering crosser?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Is it more ‘quartering’ or ‘crossing’?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Even though the angle of the quartering shot is only about 1/2 that of a full crosser, it still needs about 3/4 of the lead that the full crosser does at whatever speed the target is moving. That is just trigonometry. Make sure you are leading the target enough horizontally. But also don’t forget to check whether the target is still rising, at its peak, or starting to drop at your chosen break point. And be sure the vertical behavior you think you see is not an optical illusion due to the terrain. In other words make sure the ground isn’t moving up or down rather than the target.

I apologize for not talking in terms of staring hard at the target. I just don’t think that way.

Having said all that, I will admit the quartering target gives me fits. I’m hoping that thinking about it on your behalf will help me as well tomorrow when I go out to shoot.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jim--swing thru.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rooster booster wrote:

The trap was moved 2 weeks ago. Now it is set to the shooter right and is more a quartering Bird. It is fast and heads out far

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:17 pm 
Limited Edition

moishepipick wrote:
Even though the angle of the quartering shot is only about 1/2 that of a full crosser, it still needs about 3/4 of the lead that the full crosser does at whatever speed the target is moving. That is just trigonometry. Make sure you are leading the target enough horizontally. But also don’t forget to check whether the target is still rising, at its peak, or starting to drop at your chosen break point. And be sure the vertical behavior you think you see is not an optical illusion due to the terrain. In other words make sure the ground isn’t moving up or down rather than the target.

I apologize for not talking in terms of staring hard at the target. I just don’t think that way.

Having said all that, I will admit the quartering target gives me fits. I’m hoping that thinking about it on your behalf will help me as well tomorrow when I go out to shoot.

Good luck!

You should probably stare harder at the target. HeHe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

mdlott wrote:
moishepipick wrote:

Good luck!

Not so much. When I do, I get so busy trying to count the rings and read the writing, I forget to pull the trigger. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:16 pm 
Crown Grade

mdlott wrote:
moishepipick wrote:

Good luck!

You can’t look at the target while concentrating on the rib and trying to use trig to calculate 3/4 lead of a true crossing target at 40 mph and pick that spot as a break point. You can only look at the target after you miss and have lost bird.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

drawdc wrote:
mdlott wrote:
moishepipick wrote:

Good luck!

You can’t look at the target while concentrating on the rib and trying to use trig to calculate 3/4 lead of a true crossing target at 40 mph and pick that spot as a break point. You can only look at the target after you miss and have lost bird.

Whether or not you calculate it doesn’t much matter. It is still the same amount. As our President likes to say, “It is what it is.” Denial changes nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Head firmly to stock + butt-belly-beak-bang + follow-thru = X, on a score sheet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is a tricky presentation especially if the line is off the horizontal. I hold about halfway between the breakpoint and the trap, take my eyes back about halfway from the hold point to the trap, keep the muzzle still as the target passes it then swing through and shoot, starting from a soft mount. Works for me most of the time. Just need to keep the gun moving on the line.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

my current thinking is that swing through on these long crossers keeps me from doing a bunch of measuring.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:00 pm 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
my current thinking is that swing through on these long crossers keeps me from doing a bunch of measuring.

I think most of us agree with you. Trying to measure lead on a long quartering away shot will lead to more misses then hits.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

You don’t measure lead. You apply it. It has been firmly established by Brister that you can’t swing through a 40 yard crosser fast enough to not shoot behind it. You are applying lead if you are hitting the target. Denying that doesn’t change anything. The sooner you accept the fact, the more targets you will hit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:45 pm 
Crown Grade

moishepipick wrote:
You don’t measure lead. You apply it. It has been firmly established by Brister that you can’t swing through a 40 yard crosser fast enough to not shoot behind it. You are applying lead if you are hitting the target. Denying that doesn’t change anything. The sooner you accept the fact, the more targets you will hit.

Wow. Will I get as good as you?

Too bad you didn’t understand what Brister said.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:47 pm 
Crown Grade

JerseyJim wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:

The trap was moved 2 weeks ago. Now it is set to the shooter right and is more a quartering Bird. It is fast and heads out far

Easy to shoot in front and over fast quartering targets IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

drawdc wrote:
moishepipick wrote:

Wow. Will I get as good as you?

Too bad you didn’t understand what Brister said.

Too bad you are wrong. I understand exactly what he said. And I have already quoted it to you. But you refuse to understand it. In plain English he said you cannot swing fast enough to hit a 40 yard/40 mph crosser without applying additional lead. You can fight it all you want, but it is in black and white. Sorry that the truth is inconvenient. But if you give yourself up to it, you will become a better shooter.
Attachment:
Brister_1.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by moishepipick on Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Easy Mooshie.......ghosts of Christmas past, and all that stuff;-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rooster booster wrote:

Thanks. I needed that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:

You shouldn’t stop him like that. He was about to go over the edge.