ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shotshell Target Loads
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

joed49 wrote:
Interesting answers. I've never been a shotgun person as I mostly shot rifle or pistol. I even had a bullet casting business so I've dabbled in lead formulas.

Might be a silly question but isn't all shot the same? I'd have thought all shot was pure lead.

I guess I'll see how the Remington ammo works for me. I'm new to Trap and right now I need to practice.

No. Antimony hardens lead for a price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hard lead deforms less in the barrel during the shot and patterns more consistent with added density. Hitting the target with more pellets insures a broken target to score. Crushed targets offers more confidence building than chipped or chucked targets. If your chipping your soon to lose targets. Lost targets destroys confidence leaving that lost feeling and shooters hate that lost feeling, really hate the developing slump.

So.....this all comes down to equipment selection. Gun fit to your size and shape. Then POI setting that delivers dense patterns visually centered on moving targets. Enough effective practice with purpose to develop consistent response and complete confidence.

This is the sequence to better scores and improving skills. The mental side of the equation will remain the single most important aspect of shooting winning scores. Knowledge and personal analysis is key. Being able to apply said knowledge to your skills is the transition.

Consider the rest as dribble. Success in the clay games is only about you and your efforts to find personal perfection.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:46 am 
Diamond Grade

joed49 wrote:
Interesting answers. I've never been a shotgun person as I mostly shot rifle or pistol. I even had a bullet casting business so I've dabbled in lead formulas.

Might be a silly question but isn't all shot the same? I'd have thought all shot was pure lead.

I guess I'll see how the Remington ammo works for me. I'm new to Trap and right now I need to practice.

Harder pellets (made with antimony alloyed with the lead) produce better patterns. Premium target loads have the hardest pellets... and the highest prices.

For a beginning shooter, and at skeet and beginners' trap distances, the advantage is moot. Expert shooters at the higher levels might want the advantage. Most everyone else is happy with economical target loads.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Harder pellets (made with antimony alloyed with the lead) produce better patterns. Premium target loads have the hardest pellets... and the highest prices.

For a beginning shooter, and at skeet and beginners' trap distances, the advantage is moot. Expert shooters at the higher levels might want the advantage. Most everyone else is happy with economical target loads.[/quote]

Exactly

Also depends on the importance of the targets. 3 weeks ago while shooting the US Open/Fall Handicap at Osage Beach, MO we were shooting 200 singles (16 yard) Championship Singles on Saturday. My choice...... Had in the truck both new Estates and reloads with West Coast Mag #8s. Important targets. Chose to shoot my reloads and lost 1 for a 199. That loss was certainly my fault, not the ammo selection. Choosing the Estates (low cost promo) would have left me wondering.

If you need to be perfect, choose equipment that leaves only your skills to depend on. If shooting fun targets with the boyz, promo loads work fine for singles. I usually run one tighter choke to help deliver a more dense center core.

When coaching College shooters, we spent time with each team member at the patterning board. Making the shooter aware of where they are placing shot down range and to evaluate their choke selection. Trending was the less experience, the more open choke selected and after review both coach and shooter has opportunity to see results and discuss resolve if needed. POI and choke selection.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:16 pm 
Field Grade

Find ammo that falls within your budget and buy it. All the manufacturers make decent loads, they HAVE to in order to stay in business in a world like todays.