ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Newbie question(s) on practicing
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Robert-- I know dozens of shooters in M class who have never had a fitting , have funky form but somehow get the gun in the right place to achieve a high ranking. Your insistence on perfection means you are w/out ranking.

Results is the way we tell if someone is a good shooter. NOT perfection of form.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
And also this: gun fit is a lot like meeting your in-laws for the first time. You only have one chance to make a first impression. With shotguns the fit you adapt to on your first one will be the one you apply for the rest of your life. It is imperative to get it right the first time. If you fit yourself to the gun instead of vice-versa, you are lost. Maybe not if you are world champion material, but for sure if you are like most other people.

Oh Roberto......this tired song again?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

sera wrote:
Robert-- I know dozens of shooters in M class who have never had a fitting , have funky form but somehow get the gun in the right place to achieve a high ranking. Your insistence on perfection means you are w/out ranking.

Results is the way we tell if someone is a good shooter. NOT perfection of form.

Your reply is flawed in two respects. First, I’m getting tired of a few smart alecks referring to me as Robert and various nicknames of that. I don’t know what is going on, but I would appreciate you stop it.

Second, we aren’t talking about how to tell if someone is a good shooter. We are talking about how to help them to become one. Surely you don’t want to go on record as saying that good fit isn’t helpful to accomplishing that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:
And also this: gun fit is a lot like meeting your in-laws for the first time. You only have one chance to make a first impression. With shotguns the fit you adapt to on your first one will be the one you apply for the rest of your life. It is imperative to get it right the first time. If you fit yourself to the gun instead of vice-versa, you are lost. Maybe not if you are world champion material, but for sure if you are like most other people.

Oh Roberto......this tired song again?

I will tell you about tired. I don’t know what you are trying to accomplish, but I am tired of you referring to me as Roberto and other random names. Just cut it out. You have your opinions and I have mine. Go ahead and tell us how you would do it, but it is not your job to critique me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Auldthymer, I'll tell you what is going on. Your posts bear a remarkable resemblance to those of dearly departed SGW member rpenmanparker aka moishepipick aka Robert, and some here seem to believe in reincarnation. Did you have a former SGW life?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

lossking wrote:
Auldthymer, I'll tell you what is going on. Your posts seem to bear a remarkable resemblance to those of dearly departed SGW member rpenmanparker aka moishepipick aka Robert.

So what? Do you think he was the only one to think his way? If you don’t agree with me, just state your alternate view. Personal references aren’t called for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You wanted to know what was going on.

I don't agree or disagree with your thoughts on fitting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

lossking wrote:
You wanted to know what was going on.

I don't agree or disagree with your thoughts on fitting.

Thank you. I didn’t mean to offend you. I’m just getting frustrated by this infantile foolishness. Not your fault.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No problem, I wasn't offended and can understand your frustration. All the crap with Robert/rpenmanparker/moishepipick occurred before you were here, and I guess that some thought you were him trying to sneak back in. Don't let it bother you. {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

“Not Robert” , I have to agree with Sera , Proper form does not come from a textbook , it’s what works for the individual.
I would hazard a guess that you practice text book form and it’s reflected in your ranking ?
Btw , I tend to agree with Rooster also.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

(not)Robert - I like that--there are 2 rules in shooting

1. only when you have no one to blame but yourself , can you learn to shoot. Every time you miss , It HAS TO BE your fault. Nothing else to blame.

2. the shooter who practices will be luckier on tournament day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

captjsjr wrote:
“Not Robert” , I have to agree with Sera , Proper form does not come from a textbook , it’s what works for the individual.
I would hazard a guess that you practice text book form and it’s reflected in your ranking ?

So if I understand you correctly, any fit is okay if it works for the individual EXCEPT the standard fit recommended by experts like Jeff Meloy and Rollin Oswald. So if I comfortably follow the recommendations of those two experts, I must necessarily be an inferior shooter. Are you not embarrassed to suggest such an absurdity?

And the name is Frannie, short for Francisco.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

sera wrote:
(not)Robert - I like that--there are 2 rules in shooting

1. only when you have no one to blame but yourself , can you learn to shoot. Every time you miss , It HAS TO BE your fault. Nothing else to blame.

2. the shooter who practices will be luckier on tournament day.

Do you think we do not agree about this? Both points are right on. But I will politely ask you to address me as Frannie. It isn’t so hard, is it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Frannie ? Fair enough .
In no way would I cast aspersions on either of the two you mentioned nor on any qualified fitter or coach. However it is my opinion that there are any number of factors involved in Fit & form with regards to the individual shooter. Thus, it is my contention that the experts give you a solid starting point based on known factors of the shooting sports. Nothing is written in stone. I believe ( based on my personal experience ) that you take this info , and as your game evolves , you start to develop the style and form that works best for you.
As far as your opinion on fitting yourself to the gun and you’re lost , I can only speak from my experience. Three of my shotguns are fitted, 20 some odd are not and I experience no trepidation on fitting myself to those guns for any clay game or hunting situation I may choose that day , With no small level of success. Thats me , your results may vary.
As for the reference to “ Robert” bear in mind that you are conversing with some people who have verifiable registered targets , and as no one is familiar with your accomplishments then you have little more veracity than a young kid messing around on his mom’s computer.
You’ll find people here will cut you some slack once you prove out.
I’ve said enough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
captjsjr wrote:

So if I understand you correctly, any fit is okay if it works for the individual EXCEPT the standard fit recommended by experts like Jeff Meloy and Rollin Oswald. So if I comfortably follow the recommendations of those two experts, I must necessarily be an inferior shooter. Are you not embarrassed to suggest such an absurdity?

And the name is Frannie, short for Francisco.

Nice try;-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don’t think that other guys name is really Rooster either :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

captjsjr wrote:
Frannie ? Fair enough .
In no way would I cast aspersions on either of the two you mentioned nor on any qualified fitter or coach. However it is my opinion that there are any number of factors involved in Fit & form with regards to the individual shooter. Thus, it is my contention that the experts give you a solid starting point based on known factors of the shooting sports. Nothing is written in stone. I believe ( based on my personal experience ) that you take this info , and as your game evolves , you start to develop the style and form that works best for you.
As far as your opinion on fitting yourself to the gun and you’re lost , I can only speak from my experience. Three of my shotguns are fitted, 20 some odd are not and I experience no trepidation on fitting myself to those guns for any clay game or hunting situation I may choose that day , With no small level of success. Thats me , your results may vary.
As for the reference to “ Robert” bear in mind that you are conversing with some people who have verifiable registered targets , and as no one is familiar with your accomplishments then you have little more veracity than a young kid messing around on his mom’s computer.
You’ll find people here will cut you some slack once you prove out.
I’ve said enough.

I’m glad you are well suited to you chosen method. As I am to mine. That’s all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

captjsjr wrote:
I don’t think that other guys name is really Rooster either :lol:

I dunno. He is cocky enough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

And most often correct in his assertions as is Sera.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Let me add one more thing to the equation.

Fitters can't agree when they are 400 yds from each other. At the NSCA Nationals--which is happening right now in San Antonio--the various "expert" fitters will come to a lot of different sets of numbers. They will not look at you and all come to x+y+z.

For one example , the guy who owns and runs a Shotgun magazine will fight you to the death that for certain games , your LOP should be 1.5 inches less than the vast majority of other fitters. He thinks you shouid shoot w/ a squared off stance (ie Open). Most other say more toward the closed end of the spectrum.

To put the idea in a new shooter's mind that "perfect fit" is available right from the git-go is a cruel lie and if you said that to one of my students , I'd punch you in the nose.The theory of perfect fit does a huge disservice to good fit.

Same w/ certain shells , payloads , chokes , guns , ....you name it.