ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Newbie question(s) on practicing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gun fit and POI setting are 2 different things. Gun fit for comfort and freedom of movement to the target. Felt recoil reduction, delivery to the shoulder parallel with the bore equal top of the pad to the bottom.

POI setting as important is setting where the gun delivers shot to the intended target with you doing the pointing. Center pattern is best. Learning to center the pattern on all target angles, speeds and distance is the learning curve. Practice with purpose the vehicle.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:03 am 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Auldthymer, I'll tell you what is going on. Your posts bear a remarkable resemblance to those of dearly departed SGW member rpenmanparker aka moishepipick aka Robert, and some here seem to believe in reincarnation. Did you have a former SGW life?

Hmmmmm! Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
Let me add one more thing to the equation.

Fitters can't agree when they are 400 yds from each other. At the NSCA Nationals--which is happening right now in San Antonio--the various "expert" fitters will come to a lot of different sets of numbers. They will not look at you and all come to x+y+z.

For one example , the guy who owns and runs a Shotgun magazine will fight you to the death that for certain games , your LOP should be 1.5 inches less than the vast majority of other fitters. He thinks you shouid shoot w/ a squared off stance (ie Open). Most other say more toward the closed end of the spectrum.

To put the idea in a new shooter's mind that "perfect fit" is available right from the git-go is a cruel lie and if you said that to one of my students , I'd punch you in the nose.The theory of perfect fit does a huge disservice to good fit.

Same w/ certain shells , payloads , chokes , guns , ....you name it.

Bingo. New shooters wanting to buy the perfect fit haven’t paid their tab at the practice range enough, to really benefit from a ‘perfect fit’. ‘Close’ is a great and good enough start, while working on developing your own style.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:09 pm 
Crown Grade

te4handjr wrote:
Newbie here with a question(s) on how to practice...

After spending every weekend at the local sporting clay/skeet/trap club for the past 4 to 6 weeks I realize I may need some type of structure on how to approach practice.

Some of what I have noticed is I do not know how to fix those clays that give me the most trouble. My biggest issue seems to be not knowing why I am missing them so, I don't know how to fix it...... too high? behind, in front of, how much lead to give, etc...

Thought process is, if I can understand where I am missing I can better adjust my shooting to start hitting more......

So, do I go back to the stations that I perform well on and practice mounting, looking, swinging, etc...? or, go to the stations giving me trouble and keep trying till I find the sweet spot? Just thinking I do not want to take an approach that will only get me better at a certain station and not better overall.....??

Newbie looking to get better than <60%...... but, still enjoying the heck out of it....

Personally, if a new shooter, I would consider a year of shooting nothing but Skeet.
Easier on the billfold, incorporates all the basics of swatting stuff and bettering swatting itself while introducing, a bit, fewer what-ifs and I needs as one's confidence improves.

A coach is wise if, like fit, you are at a level to benefit by being open to listening rather than Internet-ing your way toward a prettier scoresheet.
For example, "fitting", imso, requires a consistency in mount with which fewer newer shooter are born.
Bad mount happening....less value in the fit that is determined.
"Bad" happened to us all in early days....consider accepting that idea.
It's ok to not rush into all the must-dos found in the Internet shooting tally book.

An importance in practice sessions tho, to me, is to work toward never practice missing....often, folks believe they are there to shoot and so they try to beat their way to success.
It's ok, again, to stop ......maybe think....maybe come back and try again.
Pounding out targets to conquer a station or blast your way out of a slump is....many times...unwise.
Further advice on practicing may really be best tailored to the individual rather than the pasta test method found on message boards.

I do not know where the "Robert" fella is at present but I do hope he is less lonely and has now discovered a wiser method to fight any remaining loneliness.
The world can a nice place if we folks simply understand how little we know.

Good luck on your shooting journey.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Multiflora wrote:
te4handjr wrote:
Newbie here with a question(s) on how to practice...

After spending every weekend at the local sporting clay/skeet/trap club for the past 4 to 6 weeks I realize I may need some type of structure on how to approach practice.

Some of what I have noticed is I do not know how to fix those clays that give me the most trouble. My biggest issue seems to be not knowing why I am missing them so, I don't know how to fix it...... too high? behind, in front of, how much lead to give, etc...

Thought process is, if I can understand where I am missing I can better adjust my shooting to start hitting more......

So, do I go back to the stations that I perform well on and practice mounting, looking, swinging, etc...? or, go to the stations giving me trouble and keep trying till I find the sweet spot? Just thinking I do not want to take an approach that will only get me better at a certain station and not better overall.....??

Newbie looking to get better than <60%...... but, still enjoying the heck out of it....

Personally, if a new shooter, I would consider a year of shooting nothing but Skeet.
Easier on the billfold, incorporates all the basics of swatting stuff and bettering swatting itself while introducing, a bit, fewer what-ifs and I needs as one's confidence improves.

A coach is wise if, like fit, you are at a level to benefit by being open to listening rather than Internet-ing your way toward a prettier scoresheet.
For example, "fitting", imso, requires a consistency in mount with which fewer newer shooter are born.
Bad mount happening....less value in the fit that is determined.
"Bad" happened to us all in early days....consider accepting that idea.
It's ok to not rush into all the must-dos found in the Internet shooting tally book.

An importance in practice sessions tho, to me, is to work toward never practice missing....often, folks believe they are there to shoot and so they try to beat their way to success.
It's ok, again, to stop ......maybe think....maybe come back and try again.
Pounding out targets to conquer a station or blast your way out of a slump is....many times...unwise.
Further advice on practicing may really be best tailored to the individual rather than the pasta test method found on message boards.

I do not know where the "Robert" fella is at present but I do hope he is less lonely and has now discovered a wiser method to fight any remaining loneliness.
The world can a nice place if we folks simply understand how little we know.

Good luck on your shooting journey.

Really well said. If skeet practice is good for GD, it’s plenty good for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:14 pm 
Field Grade

I'm not an instructor but I always recommend talking to someone who can teach.

For general advice, I like to do several things:

1. Take each clay one shot at a time. When I miss, I ask myself where I missed and for what reason, and then try and micro-manage that mistake out of my shot routine.

2. Practice your gun mount. Not everyone will agree with this since you don't technically need to mount for NSCA, but having a good gun mount will get the gun more as an extension of your body so that they can move together as one during a mount/shot. Having a good mount that is consistent will make you less aware of the gun.

3. Keep shooting :)