ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prescription shooting glasses
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:45 am 
Field Grade

I know this has been drained but my search on here didn't help me. Who makes a nice RX pair of shooting glasses? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Prescription shooting glasses
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 am 
Limited Edition

Google is your friend. Look at Decot, Randolf Ranger, Post 4, Castillani, (high end) Pilla.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:27 am 
Tournament Grade

My shooting buddy is a professional photographer and recommended Decot. I went with them and have been completely satisfied and will continue to use them.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:42 am 
Field Grade

kyskeet wrote:
Google is your friend. Look at Decot, Randolf Ranger, Post 4, Castillani, (high end) Pilla.

Thanks

Last edited by toadstool on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:44 am 
Field Grade

Sporting Fan wrote:
My shooting buddy is a professional photographer and recommended Decot. I went with them and have been completely satisfied and will continue to use them.

s/f Steve

Awesome, thank you!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I use the Randolph XLW with the insert. A lot of people don't like them because the two lenses add to the weight, which it does, but it's not enough to bother me. What is an inconvenience is the extra time it takes for any fog that develops in between the two lenses to clear due to the limited airflow.

Without this system I'd be limited to a single color lens, as I can't justify the expense of multiple color prescription lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Be careful of Phillip's saftey rx. I had a very bad experience they couldn't get my prescription right. I had just gone to eye doctors here . Had a 1 week old prescription. I brought them in to my eye doctors and they checked them they weren't any where close to my prescription. Sent back twice after that then I finally gave up on them. They regular glasses I got from my eye doctor are fine. And they had no problem giving my prescription to them since they didnt offer saftey glasses .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm quite happy with Randolph Rangers with clip on colored lenses. They happen to be made 400 yards from where I worked during the 13 years prior to my retirement. I ordered them from Morgan Optical at the Great Eastern Lobster Shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

I had Rangers with 3 lenses and it was a PITA to have all three made new when my Rx changed. Now I wear Pilla Outlaws with an insert. Wish I would have started with them. In my opinion they are the best of the bunch when it comes to clarity. The eyes are the most important part of our game. Buy once, cry once.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a pair of Randolph Rangers and when I went to a scrip lens, I used LM lenses; they also sell full glasses:
http://lmlenses.com/

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:33 pm 
Limited Edition

My optometrist had me bring my gun in and worked with me on getting a pair of glasses off the rack that worked great. He wasn't a shooter but had worked with people before who were. Just ask your local guy if he has any experience with shotgun shooters or can recommend a local guy who has. The hands on thing was great even though he insulted my big head and wide spaced eye.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a pair of Decots I am quite pleased with.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, then his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Dtech shooting glasses! Great product for a great price. Love mine!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:22 am 
Field Grade

Thank you all!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Another vote for Randolph Engineering, Ranger Classics or XLW. Either will work with RX without the insert adapter but XLW is the only frame that works with the adapter. Lifetime guarantee and they stand behind it. Great customer service. Your local optometrist can make the lens or order from Morgan in NY.

CSM/TRACS Instructor

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

The Internet is a Delphi Process without the experts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:13 am 
Presentation Grade

Sporting Fan wrote:

s/f Steve

I agree & they are good people to deal with!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 am 
Utility Grade

I just recently got a pair of Ranger Classics. I absolutely love them.
I worked with Morgan Optical and was very pleased. Great customer service!
They even sent me several different frames to try out and see which I liked the best.
I was surprised it was the CLASSICs rather than the EDGE or XLW models.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 am 
Limited Edition

I chose a frame at my optometrist that were comfortable and had a wide open view. Then I chose a color (vermillion) and he wrote up a distance prescription based on my exam. They were sent out and made. They nailed it. Have had them 3 years now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:47 pm 
Utility Grade

I'll put in another vote for Randolph Engineering. I have the Edge Rangers and really like them. They sit high (and can be made to sit even higher with the sliding nose piece) so that the top edge of the glasses doesn't obscure your vision. I was using my normal Rx glasses or sunglasses and the top of the frame was directly inline with the bird with the gun mounted so I literally couldn't see what I was shooting at.

I've dealt with both Wayne at Morgan Optical and Gregory at Leonard Maggiore Opticians -- both great. Greg also sells frames & lenses on ebay if you have coupons or ebay bucks to spend.

Lastly, if you wear bifocals or progressives, I'd recommend just getting single vision and carrying some readers in your pocket. I got bifocals on one set of lenses, but since they sit high the reading bifocal lens interfered with my distance vision.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:15 am 
Field Grade

I have a set of smith range glasses that have a spot to put in my prescription lenses, Once I past the age of 46 my eyes started to get worse. I called ahead to my eye doctor and spoke of getting glasses for shooting and he was not too keen on working with me and a firearm ( I have a new Eye DR now). A range I shoot at had some business cards for an eye DR familar with shooting ,I called and they were very accommodating. The person scheduling said bring in my unloaded gun in a case that the doctor can see and open chamber in as soon as the case is open and All would be good. the appointment was almost the same as a regular appointment except we brought out the gun and we focused on the sights . Been 3 years since my last appointment and I plan on going back in in September. I can shoot with out the prescriptions but I shoot better with them. My sights look like they are 3d and crystal clear with my prescription

the glasses
https://www.opticsplanet.com/smith-opti ... asses.html

The inserts
https://shop.opticsplanet.com/smith-opt ... gIQIPD_BwE

Once you get past the cost of the glasses and the inserts ,the lenses that go in are not expensive at all. Most medical insurance companies pay for DR visit but not he lences
As we mature we should use what we can to assist us