It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sporting clays with a trap gun
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Has any one shot sporting clays with a trap gun? I was reading where someone asked Gorge Digweed why he shot with a gun that has a trap type stock, and he replied that he liked to be able to see all of the sheet when he shot.

Post subject: Re: Sporting clays with a trap gun
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

A trap gun, by design, shoots high because trap is a game of rising targets. So if all you ever shoot is a gun that shoots high you learn what your sight picture should be to hit a given target presentation. The problem comes in with falling targets and crossing targets in clays. you have to adjust your point of aim for a gun that hits high.

I have shot clays with my trap gun, a Winchester 101 Pidgeon grade trap with 32inch barrels and choked IM and full. I do well but have to make a mental adjustment on targets to shoot low since the gun hits high. I really get messed up going between my calsy gun and my trap gun to shoot clays. To make matters worst for me my trap gun does not have screw in chokes so on close targets I am really mentally messed up and either smash the target or miss it clean. close in rabbits mess with me as well. It's the combo of both a high shooting gun and tight chokes and knowing it gets me thinking too much and I miss targets I am capable of hitting.

APEXDUCK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:52 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

The duck is spot on!

I have a Browning Lightning Sporting Clays Edition with 30" ported barrels. High rib model. It shoots about a 70-30 pattern. I just noticed the other day if you look at the stock specifications for the Browning SX Trap you will find it is exactly the same as the Sporting Clays Edition! Yes, I've shot it for trap a time or two and I indeed do use it for Sporting Clays and an occasional round of Skeet. I too still have difficulty remembering to allow for the fact that this bugger shoots a bit high, I miss some easy shots that I just shouldn't be missing simply because I've shot over them! I'm not ready to get rid of it yet, but I'm going to shoot Sporting Clays and Skeet with a different shotgun and see if my luck changes. So, yes, you can shoot Sporting Clays with a Trap gun. I do it all the time!

BP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:47 pm 
Crown Grade

If your Trap gun has an adjustable comb, you may be able to adjust the comb lower and the gun will shoot lower as well. If it does not have an adjustable comb, you might want to have one installed if you are unwilling to buy a second gun.

My Skeet gun has an adjustable comb and I plan on adjusting the comb higher and installing tighter chokes when I shoot Trap. My Skeet gun will get slightly tighter chokes when I shoot Sporting Clays.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:49 pm 
Limited Edition

If you shoot a lot of trap and are familiar with where it shoots you will be better off using it then switching to a flat shooting sporting clays gun. I tried to use a "sporting model" for a while and my score suffured in both disaplines. I went back to my doubles trap gun and at least I knew why I was missing.

Kent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Do not let my wife read this post! Christmas is coming - - if you know what I mean!