It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to forum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi All-

New to the forum and pretty new to shotgun sports.

I have started shooting some Trap and Skeet of late and I intend to do so for the foreseeable future. I enjoy both very much and I wish I would have started a while back, but I have been mostly preoccupied with long range shooting and some pistol competition.

I'm a lefty and left eye dominant. At the moment I shoot my only shotgun which is a Remington 1100 LH purchased used with a 30" and 26" BRLS. It has been running flawlessly for me and I feel comfortable with it.

I would like soon enough to dip my toes in the world of O/U, but I lack the knowledge of what would work for me best as an overall Trap/Skeet shotgun. I would imagine that being lefty would make sense for me to stick with a LH model. My budget is from $2K to 3K and I'm willing to purchase one used. This would most likely be a gun I will have for quite a bit of time as I'm not sure quite yet if I'll be good enough or have the availability to go into competition etc.

Would welcome suggestions from those of you who are experienced and perhaps are lefty as myself. Thanks for your input and I look forward learning a bunch.

Post subject: Re: New to forum
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to SGW. There is a wealth of information available; all you need to do is ask.

The 1100 is an excellent shotgun and a left-handed one is rare. Hold onto it.

Many other SGW member know more about gun recommendations than do I. To help them recommend guns, how tall are you and what do you weigh?
That information will help determine how well guns will fit you and if anything will need to be changed to make them fit.

"Fit'" describes how well the dimensions of the stock along with your individual size and shape allow a recommended, stance, gun mount, head, neck and body posture (shooting form) to be used when you shoot.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:43 am 
Crown Grade

G-Lo100 wrote:
I would like soon enough to dip my toes in the world of O/U, but I lack the knowledge of what would work for me best as an overall Trap/Skeet shotgun.

The first thing to learn is that trap and skeet are two very different sports and that the optimal skeet gun will not be the optimal trap gun (and vice versa).

Having said that, the ideal all around gun is an over/under with 32" barrels, screw-in chokes, a weight of 8 to 8.5 lbs, and a pattern distribution of 60% above POA and 40% below.

You can shoot skeet, trap singles/handicap, trap doubles, sporting clays (including 5 stand and FITASC), international trap, and international skeet just about as well with all the same gun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Rollin and Sobrepuesta. I'm of average height about 5'10" and average weight (Yes I could lose a few #s..). From what I have read on this forum and others seem Brownings fit most shooters. I'm trying to get to my Club on a more regular basis and starting to make friends who would be willing to let me shoot their guns just to see what those feels like. I was talking to my instructor today and seem of the idea of going with a dedicated trap gun for the time being and use the 1100 for Skeet and 5 Stand etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Your height and weight are those that most stock designers use when choosing dimensions for their stocks. For that reason, most guns will fit you quite well, with only minor dimensional changes (if any) needed for a perfectly fitting stock, given a good shooting form.

Your 1100 with the 30" barrel would work well for both skeet and trap if, you had choke tubes installed. Mike Orlen, the Moderator of the gunsmith forum here on SGW does a great work and a very fair prices and short turn-around times. Hw also does adjustable combs if you're interested.

That would involve investing money in your older 1100 but they never go out of style and tubes and even an adjustable comb would raise its value if you ever intended to sell it. Remember. left-handed 1100s are scarce.

The stock dimensions on the gun should come very close to fitting you well with one possible exception: When you put your cheek on the comb, it would be best if your eye were looking slightly down onto the rib when shooting rising trap targets (to provide the vertical lead necessary to break them without having to cover targets with the barrel).

For shooting skeet, your eye should be a little closer to the height of the rib so you were looking along the surface of the rib with no or very little surface visible.

That would make the gun shoot "flat" or nearly flat indicating that the point of aim (POA) is the same or nearly the same as the POI), which is where the center of the pattern impacts. This is best because skeet targets rise much slower than trap targets.

Something else you should consider is a shell catcher or deflector for the 1100. A gunsmith could install a shell catcher wire that would catch an empty as it was ejected. This would not work well for skeet.

Better yet, a post could be installed that would deflect empties down to prevent them flying and hitting the shooter to your left, which can be very irritating and can even cause damage to that shooter's gun if an empty hits it.

I wouldn't be in a rush to get an o/u. They are nice guns, are high-brow, i.e., fashionable, and require less cleaning but an 1100 will break just as many targets, and with less felt recoil.

One final thing you may wish to consider. That is the Jack West adjustable, composite, stock - http://www.billdavisenterprises.com/Adj ... tocks.html

The benefits of one of these stocks are several: First there is the parallel comb. This is an excellent feature because the eye remains at the same height relative to the rib during sloppy gun mounts before you practice mounting the gun enough to develop a consistent mount.

The stock has a four-way adjustable comb. It also has the more modern grip shape and there is even one model that has adjustable stock length (length of pull or LOP), which you probably do not need.

One reason I favor shooting the 1100 is because you could invest some of the money saved in good shooting instruction. There are some excellent trainers available, some who travel to various locations around the country for one or two0 day clinics.

Other members can recommend which they feel are the best.

Presently, you may be fighting the tendency to aim at targets given your rifle and pistol experience. Although aiming works, most will say that learning to point at targets and avoid aiming is preferable. That may take time to master as may shooting with both eyes open. A good trainer or coach can make them easier to master and at the same time, teach you good shooting form if and when you make minor stock dimensional changes to make your gun fit.

Again, please take your time deciding to shoot an over/under before you learn more about shooting trap and skeet.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384