CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying 1100 trap instead of Wingmaster?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 am 
Field Grade

Hi all,
I posted in the general section about getting a wingmaster as a first all-around shotgun to get into some different aspects of the sport. I decided on a 28" barrel so I could use it for trap and maybe wingshooting (pheasant farm kind of thing). I put up a WTB add a few places and was offered a 30" 1100 trap model as an alternative. It's not what I was looking for, but I'm intrigued.

The questions:
would it make a good first shotgun?

Can I use it for pheasant hunting (remember, 30" barrel)

Will a semi be annoying for a left-hand shooter?

If it's the same price as a wingmaster should I jump on it?

I know the 1100 is more difficult to take down, but I have semi-auto pistols and am not afraid of challenging disassembly. However, longevity is important to me.

Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: Buying 1100 trap instead of Wingmaster?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many 1100 Trap guns have a fixed full choke, which limits it's versatility. Some lefties don't seem to mind the shell ejecting in front of their eye. Can you try shooting one first? Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:18 pm 
Field Grade

three_weight wrote:
would it make a good first shotgun?

Yes

three_weight wrote:
Can I use it for pheasant hunting (remember, 30" barrel)

Sure, but like mentioned, it might have a fixed full barrel, but you could always buy a different barrel and sell the one that is on it.

three_weight wrote:
Will a semi be annoying for a left-hand shooter?

I'm a rightie, but I would think that if you're new, you might get used to it and it won't bother you at all.

three_weight wrote:
If it's the same price as a wingmaster should I jump on it?

If it's in nice shape, I would take the 1100. They are really not very complex (if you take down SA pistols, you can take down an 1100 with no problems), and it's a proven design that has been around since the 60's.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:48 pm 
Field Grade

It is indeed fixed full choke.
I don't want to buy too many barrels. I was really hoping for one gun to try out everything (trap, pheasant, etc) and then maybe get a specific gun for whatever I really enjoy. That said, the wood and engraving is a nice touch on the 1100 trap, esp for the same price as a used wingmaster.

I guess I'll do more research. Anything else a newbie should know? Sadly I can't shoot the 1100, at least not this guys. And they don't rent guns at the trap range near me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:57 pm 
Field Grade

You don't need to buy "too many" barrels. Pick up a used 28" modified choke barrel, slap it on, then sell your 30" full choke barrel.

Your choice, but if the price was right, that is what I would do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

Being a lefty ain't gonna stop ya from shooting this gun. I are one(a lefty) and I shoot mine just fine. If the price is right, buy it. Afterwards, buy you a factory barrel that has the RemChokes. My BIL picked up a 26'' barrel for not too much at a gunshow and still has the original that he uses occassionally for trap.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

It would be a great gun to shoot trap with. It may shoot a little high on pheasants but you can adapt. Send the barrel to Mike O. up on the gunsmith forum and for $35 he will tap it for choke tubes. Jump on it before some one else does!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A couple of things that might be considered advantages with the Wingmaster might be that most (maybe all?) newer receivers are magnum receivers and would allow the use of 3" loads (you did say all around gun) whereas the 1100 in question probably wouldn't....and that the Wingmaster would probably be a bit lighter for field carry. (but the lighter weight will also result in some greater recoil...especially with the 3" mag loads).....Weigh the pluses and the minuses carefully...As they are both great guns.....IMO.....Art

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I own and like the 1100 but would not recommend this one for you because it is a trap model. Like was stated it will probably shoot a little high and that will be a hinderence as you learn to shoot. Having to adapt to that as learn will make it harder and potentially introduce bad habits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:57 am 
Field Grade

Thanks everyone. I went with the wingmaster instead. It was a really great price (he wanted $400 for the 1100 trap). But I knew I would end up putting more into it, and if I decide down the road to get a designated trap gun it will probably be a break action, so why not get the "all arounder" right now, right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I still have Wingmasters in the safe, even if I don't shoot them much any more. They are part of shotgun history, and are still fun to shuck. Now, go have fun with your new gun. Mark