It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Selecting a sporting over/under high rib
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all,

New to this site and really appreciate the amount of knowledge here.

I am looking to purchase an over & under shotgun mostly for sporting clays. this will be my first o/u and I have been looking at multiple manufacturers. I think I have a good understanding of each, so I don't think that is much of a (Best gun post) issue for me. My questions is regarding high vent rib models and your thoughts on them. Is this mostly a personal preference thing? The reason I ask is that I like how they mount for me. It just seems easier for me to get a flatter view of the rib with out lowering down on the comb. Please let me know if you have an opinion either way.

Post subject: Re: Selecting a sporting over/under high rib
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Craiger1960 wrote:
Is this mostly a personal preference thing?

Yes,have you been able to shoot one ? shouldering and actually shooting one don't always match up.

Good luck {hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was never a mid/high rib guy until I bought a Citori CX, I love that gun.

It is a preference thing though. It was with me, until I got this gun and it changed the way I looked at it, literally.

Hopper is right, what might look good in the store may not be that great on the course.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Google, or use the search function up top. There are a few threads here about this and there is this article: https://nsca.nssa-nsca.org/2015/12/11/21029/ I just finished reading this myself because I had the same questions you did.

Bottom line: there is "literature" out there that the high rib is helpful for some people; that it might just be accommodating the fact that most stocks have too much comb (the Gil Ash thread here); and that it can be helpful for targets coming from down below, like in trap. The design might complicate handling for other types of shots.

My takeaway from the last hour reading about this: I wouldn't buy one without first having the opportunity to do a side by side comparison with a traditional ribbed gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The stock dimension that you are describing is the "drop at the comb" dimension. It describes the distance of the comb below the level of the rib.

On guns without a "Monte Carlo" stock (the ones that look like they have a notch of wood removed from the end of the stock), the drop at the comb dimension is measures the distance below the comb at the front "nose" of the comb. The distance below the rib increases the farther back on the comb that you measure.

Most guns have similar drops at the comb. The one you tried apparently had too little drop at the comb for your facial structure. That would require you to use excessive cheek pressure on the comb to lower your eye so you could look along the surface of the rib.

That is a bad idea. It is likely that excessive cheek pressure on the comb would decrease during swings to targets and that would cause shots to go high. (It would probably be good for trap shooting however, since trap targets always rise.)

I agree with those who recommend to shoot a high rib gun before buying one. There are even a few shooters who cannot use a high rib gun because it is too easy to create sight pictures (front bead position relative to the target) with the muzzle rather than the front bead, which is 1/2" to 3/4" above it.

How tall are you?

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shot a high rib Zoli once and fell in love with the gun and the concept right then and there. Have also shot a 725 high rib and it reinforced how much I like how a high rib gun fits and shoots for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a High Rib Caesar Gurini and a High Rib K-80 Pro Skeet. Love them both.

Bob