It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: old shooter new buyer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:56 pm 
Utility Grade

So first off greetings and salutations from a brand new member. Great site.

I have been busting clays with everything from from my first Mossberg Bolt action 12 guage, police model 870's , Ruger Red Label, 16 guage sxs that I still love to shoot. But now I want to start competing on a regional level at Sporting Clays , and 5 stand , might even stop by the local trap range when they decide to open on the weekends.

Looking at all the hype the manufacturers would have me believe that I need to spend upwards of 3K to buy a gun that will break clays for years to come.

I do however need to fin d a better fitting gun as I have been shooting off the rack for 30 some years. I stand 6 ft 7 in and have had several neck surgeries over the years.

Any help in breaking the marketing war down would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

Post subject: Re: old shooter new buyer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No "off-the-rack" gun will fit you. With your height and neck length and even if you mount the gun high on your shoulder with the recoil pad extending as much as an inch above your collarbone, you will need to lean your neck forward and lower your cheek down to the comb on virtually all the guns that are available.

Leaning the neck forward and looking up to shoot is not good for several reasons.

The fix however, is quite simple. You will need to have a unit called a pad adjuster mounted just forward of the recoil pad. Two common adjusters are the Jones and the 100-straight. There are others as well.

These units allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered, rotated and moved to the right or left. They are most often used for shooters who wisely desire to have a normal or natural head and neck posture when they shoot.

Stock length (its LOP or length of pull, which describes the distance from the center of the trigger to the center of the butt or recoil pad) may also need lengthening for you. (How you stand or the amount of body rotation when you shoot affects the LOP as does the width of the your shoulders.) Rotation of less than 45 degrees is best.

The distance of the comb below the rib may also need correcting. 4-way adjustable combs are available on a few new and used guns or can be added to almost any wood stock. Pads to raise the eye relative to the rib are also available.

It is the distance between shooters' eyes and their cheekbones that affect the correct "drop at the comb" stock dimension. It describes the distance of the comb below the rib.

Pad adjusters increase the distance of the top of the recoil pad (the heel), below the rib. This dimension is called the drop at the heel dimension.

Some stocks have combs that slant upward and some, usually those on guns designed for clay target shooting, are parallel with the rib. Parallel combs are better than the slanted combs on field stocks in my opinion because they promote consistent gun mounts, which are very important in shooting any clay target discipline. (The secret to gun mount consistency is practice, practice, practice.)

Your budget for a gun is very realistic. Good new and used over & under guns are available for 3K.

I am no authority on different gun manufacturers and models but other SGW members here, are. You have but to ask.

Welcome to SGW.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition" explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bib ... 1451570384

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Rollin, Thanks so much for your reply. It appears I need to purchase a book and figure out how to make the gun fit me correctly. Everybody wants an arm and a leg for custom to fit stocks.

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply.

warmest regards
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A wood stocked, gas, semi auto with a 30" rib, choke tubes, an adjustable comb and a pad adjuster is what you need.

I suggest a semi auto for low felt recoil and a pad adjuster, which would allow you to lower the whole recoil pad so you don't have to lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb.

An adjustable comb may be needed to vertically align your eye with the rib and to easily switch from trap to other shooting disciplines. These can be installed on most wood stocks and are usually superior to factory installed adjustable combs.

Remington 1100s, Beretta 300 series guns as well as other gas guns would work well. If necessary, the stock could be lengthened, which is unlikely if you eliminate the need to lean your neck forward with a pad adjuster.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition" explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bib ... 1451570384