It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just bought new O/U... quick maintenance questions:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:21 pm 
Utility Grade

So I am trying to break my new 725 Citori Sporting 12 gauge in due to the stiffness in the break associated with the gun being new. I have only shot the gun twice with about 300 shells through it so far. I have been applying gun grease to the hinges and just opening/closing the action while watching TV or sitting in my study.

What do I do to remove the gun grease before applying another coat? Just wipe off with old rag and re-apply? Or after the rag wipe-off should I also clean the hinge area with a solvent or witch hazel or rubbing alcohol?

Also, I assume it is best to apply grease just before you shoot and then wipe-out old grease just after shooting, correct?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Post subject: Re: Just bought new O/U... quick maintenance questions:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:20 am 
Tournament Grade

You bought a good gun. I wouldn't worry to much on how it opens. Let it age with time. Here is what i do, after shooting i clean my gun real good. If an o/u ,i grease the hinges or trunions. You don't have to grease the gun before shooting. I just wipe the oil from the BBL and i'm ready to go. I would practice mounting the gun instead of trying to make it loose. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chuck,

Good advice from troutbum1. As he wrote, the gun will eventually loosen up. opening and closing it won't hurt it though but as he said, practicing mounting the gun would be more beneficial.

A consistent gun mount is very important. The mount is key in locating your eye relative to the rib. This eye/rib relationship when you fire, controls where the pattern will go.

If your eye is above the rib, the pattern will go higher than if your eye is lower. As the eye moves, so moves the pattern.

Ideally, when you mount the gun, you should not need to lean your neck forward and lower your cheek to the comb. If you need to do this, try mounting your gun higher on your shoulder. As much as an inch of the recoil pad extending above your collar bone if necessary, is OK.

To check to see if you are leaning your neck forward when your gun is mounted, have someone look at your eye from just beyond the muzzle of the empty gun. If your head and neck are in a good position or posture, your eyes will be in the vertical centers of their sockets.

The only way to develop a consistent gun mount is with practice. Mounting the gun ten or so times a couple times per day for a couple of weeks will develop a consistent mount. It would be best if you wear the same clothing when practicing that you will wear when shooting.

Practice makes perfect - and it's worth it because a consistent mount is important.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 am 
Field Grade

+1 Rollin Oswald and troutbum1