It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: If you had your dream dog, what breed would you choose?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi Wyobirds - as I have said before...that's Annie is one beautiful and intelligent looking Epagneul Breton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thank you and Annie thanks you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd give just about anything to have my old Weimaraner back. RIP Judge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My dream dog would be a trained squirrel dog. Breed doesn't really matter. Twenty years ago, I had a small mongrel that weighed in at 6 lbs that was a great squirrel dog. He would tree coons, also. If he saw me with a gun in my hands, he would dance and cry until I let him do his thing. Best squirrel dog I ever had. I miss him.

I have a couple of ankle warmers now, the wife's pets, that she uses for burglar alarms. They are worthless for anything except pets. I want a dog that pays his way.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I have had a few "dream" dogs over the years but my one choice would be an English Pointer. They are smart and can be taught to do about anything with upland birds. Their best quality to me is their drive to hunt. I never got along with a dog breed that did not like to hunt as hard as I did.

To get specific if I could have a dream dog now I would want a mostly white with a lemon ring around her right eye English pointer with some connection to the late great Riggin's White Knight. Not asking for much huh?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I've been fortunate to have good pointers, good sitters and good brittanys. My most recent companions have been brittanys of the french persuasion, and would recommend the breed to all but the longest legged, big country hunter. They also behave quite well inside your home should they get that opportunity. Don't however leave then alone in your truck with an open package of molasses cookies and expect your half to still be there when you come back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Deutsch Drahthaar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:51 pm 
Field Grade

Field Bred English Cocker. Up North Michigan grouse/wc, SoDak pheasants and everything else.

Will post some pics when I have more time.

NB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

PUDELPOINTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leomat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Do had a 1/2 lab and 1/2 Gordon Setter. I would like to find another but I imagine I would be disappointed. It would be hard to match that dog.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Why if? If you can have a dog at all why not your dream dog? I am on my 3rd Lab, and for what I do and where I live I couldn’t do any better. I have had others, but I only dream about Labs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'd pick any pointing dog that has a tail over 8 inches. I grew up hunting with pointers and setters. You brit and shorthair boys just don't know what you're missing.

I have hunted over brits and shorthairs. Some very good some not. But for style and bird sense, can't beat a good english pointer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

EPbirddog wrote:
I will probably always have a big oafy looking lab around here. haha. I am fond of them, but since I don't do much waterfowling like I used to and since we started raising English Pointers, I spend 99.9% of all my time afield behind my pointers. There are alot of great breeds out there. I would love to own a drathaar some day. However, that would just feed my impulse, and wouldn't be very practical for me. I hunt wild pheasant and quail exclusively and having a true versatile hunting dog around here would be like going to a general surgeon for specialized brain surgery. It wouldn't be fair for either one of us.

Now that's what a bird dog is supposed to look like.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:00 pm 
Field Grade

I love GSP's because it's hard to argue with their well established, and well earned reputation for versatility and being all around great house, social, & field dogs. My next GSP is going to vbe a German Deutschland Kruzathar(sp?) --more controlled & limited breeding based on rigorous field ability scores.

1100 G3
Spartan o/u
870 Wingmaster
870 Tactical
105 CTI
Versamax (faux wood)
V3 Walnut

Mossberg
500 Synthetic
Youth 505 bantam

Browning A5 Ultimate
Benelli Legacy Sporting II
Beretta 692 Sporting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:17 am 
Limited Edition

Viva la Annie!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:24 am 
Crown Grade

That is a tough question. What would be a versatile breed with a proven track record that has very few genetic problems. I'd want a breed with good stamina and a strong natural prey drive. I'd also look for a breed that was good around people, especially children. I know that is asking a lot, but I know there has to be a breed out there that does all that. Wonder what it could be?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 am 
Tournament Grade

I fully understand everyone's decision to pick the breed that they already have/have previously owned. That is as it should be.

My choice is my 3 year old GWP. Why? Endurance to go all day, every day; sufficient size to handle the really gnarly cover (26+ inches and ~70#); large hard feet and nails; great nose; very biddable and trainable; great companion & lap dog; smarter than me.

Of course, my list could go on as could everyone elses. I guess that if I were to prepare a short list (other than the companion), I would highlight the endurance and nose.

I know RM's two dogs pictured above and you can take it from me, they are outstanding canines!

OklaMike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've had a handful of Labs, a Weimaraner and a Boykin. While nearly all of them excelled in some area, and some of them excelled in multiple areas, none of them was ever a dog that excelled in all areas. Now, I have a new Braque Francais pup, and he's currently my dream dog, because I'm dreaming of all he may be...

USN 1989-98

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:32 am 
Field Grade

Sorry guys, working with photoshop problems, but for the point of this thread....either of these guys back again...both lost too young.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 am 
Field Grade

Here is the other one....I think of him every day

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next