It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vizsla vs. Pointing Lab
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Thinking ahead to my next dog. I've got a couple decades of experience owning/training/hunting retrievers and flushers, but as I close in on 50, I'm thinking more strategically about what skills/traits I want in my next pup...

1. close-working pointing dog
2. short, no-maintenance coat
3. as low-shedding as possible
4. 50-60 lbs

The pup will be an indoor member of the family, likely the only dog. I'm thinking either a Vizsla or a Pointing Lab. Probably a smaller female. Since I've no background/experience training pointing dogs, she will receive professional training, rather than me just reading a book. I've read that both breeds are close-working dogs, with the Labs being a little more laid-back and methodical, while the Viz's are more driving and energetic. Both are said to be very attached family members. Of course, those could just be gross generalizations.

Those of you who've had experience with both breeds, what would be your recommendation(s), and why?

USN 1989-98

Post subject: Re: Vizsla vs. Pointing Lab
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:02 pm 
Crown Grade

For the greats odds of getting a pointing dog, get the vizsla. This due to genetics as the vizsla has been bred to do so for hundreds of years while the pointing lab is fairly new in the game. This is not to denegrate pointing labs but, as one can still get a dud with long established pointing breeds, the odds of getting a less than stellar pointing lab will be greater.

If you can live with a lab that might point, then that line might be a good option. This only because pointing would be a bonus and not a necessity.

I am mostly a pointing dog person so would gravitate to the vizsla. For the greater premium that a pointing lab will run, one can get a vizsla from well proven lines. For that reason alone I would recommend the vizsla though the number of options in litters would be a strong factor for the vizsla too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:30 pm 
Crown Grade

How about a female GSP? Fits all of your criteria

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:07 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
How about a female GSP? Fits all of your criteria

X2. I have a GSP, male, all Liver color (dark brown), who ended up being the runt of the litter, about 55lbs. He's an incredible soft and sweet mannered dog, just butter in our hands, not a mean bone in his body. He's never growled or snarled at anyone. He's a good alert dog & barks at any strange noises, not overly hyper (does need exercise), is wonderful with kids, & ignores other dogs. He was house trained in under a week, & hasn't made a mistake in 5 yrs. he never runs off, very well mannered, and listens excellently to all commands.

Hunting? Best I've ever seen. We've taken over 300 birds together--pheasant, quail, chukkar, grouse, woodcock--equally versed in all, and I didn't do any special bird specific training either. I did daily obidence training when he was a pup to about 6 months, then started doing basic retrieving and generic scenting exercises, then just started taking him to the field and after about a season & a half, he was locked in. Easy all around dog, I'll never have another breed.

1100 G3
Spartan o/u
870 Wingmaster
870 Tactical
105 CTI
Versamax (faux wood)
V3 Walnut

Mossberg
500 Synthetic
Youth 505 bantam

Browning A5 Ultimate
Benelli Legacy Sporting II
Beretta 692 Sporting

Last edited by adeluca73 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In my opinion, for the eight months a year you will be living with a house dog, the lab is the far better choice. For a much better chance of getting a natural hard pointing dog, the Vizsla is the better choice. I live with two pointing labs in my house without regret, so I admit to being prejudiced.
Mine are only used for Pheasants. One is a natural pointer every time, one is not. The one that is not is the better retriever. Go figure. Maybe my lack as a trainer.
Labs just flat out love people. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I thought this thread had died, and y'all go and resurrect it. I decided on a Braque Francais Type Pyrenees. Think of them as "GSP Lite." I've had him since just after T-giving, and he's showing a lot of promise at a very young age. Meet Gus...

USN 1989-98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Beautiful dog! I'd love to have another bird dog but birds are so scarce around here, I wouldn't shoot one if I saw it.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
Beautiful dog! I'd love to have another bird dog but birds are so scarce around here, I wouldn't shoot one if I saw it.

As someone who's been to S.D. more than once for opening day, a week-long bird hunting trip is SOOOOO worth the investment. And it's even better behind your own good dog.

USN 1989-98

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 am 
Utility Grade

Can I suggest a great organization that will help you maximize your dogs potential? NAVHDA is an organization that stresses a complete versatile hunting dog - that is also a member of your house/family. Your new pup is one of the breeds that fits perfectly into this organization.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:59 am 
Tournament Grade

Gus looks like a marvelous pal. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

GUS is a beautiful DOG. Feel free to post photos of the pooch!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:48 am 
Tournament Grade

I was using Photobucket to post pics, but with their recent policy changes, how is everyone posting pics nowadays?

USN 1989-98

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

First comment .... I love Gus! Grand little chap.

Some years ago I hunted over Braques in France around Rouen where there is a good head of partridge, and just a few pheasants. Really sweet tempered dogs who did it all.

As to the pics, I've used Flickr for a long time with no regrets; no saying if they won't eventually do the dirty like Photobucket, but it works for me at the right price (free!).

Eug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Until I figure out this whole picture thing, here's a link to my "Gus Update" on GDF, complete with pics...

http://gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=51985

USN 1989-98