It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do with single shot 410
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:27 pm 
Field Grade

So Scout82's thread about single shot guns still being useful got me thinking of my own single shot.

Years ago I bought a New England Arms single shot 410 with fixed full choke. I bought it to shoot over my Springer Spaniel when he was in training. Well long story short the dog was wicked stupid, he is since passed and I still have the shot gun and I don't know what to do with it. I don't Deer hunt, I believe it would be to small to shoot Coyote unless using slugs

We went from having grouse everywhere to none at all. I almost never see Rabbit or Hare anymore. I suppose it would be a good Fox gun but that is all I can think of trying to harvest with it. How about crow?

What are you guys taking with 410. And what loads are you using. BY THE WAY 410 loads seem to be a bit pricey in my neck of the woods. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: What to do with single shot 410
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:29 am 
Crown Grade

I use both an old Iver Johnson and a Browning Citori in 410 fairly regularly. I used to use them for hunting woodcock when the season opened on Sept 1, two weeks before the ruffed grouse season started, but no longer do so as the two seasons run concurrently and I feel the 410 is too light for grouse.

I used the IJ quite a bit growing up as a "meat gun" using it to shoot a lot of squirrels, rabbits, and ruffed grouse as I found them walking through the woods. I used it a couple of times for pheasants but found the payload to be lacking which resulted in too many cripples to run down.

My primary use for either is now sporting clays/backyard targets, dog training, and pest shooting (such as starlings and jump shooting English sparrows from the bird houses) around the place. The IJ also gets called on to rid the yard of vermin like raccoons or fox that the dogs corner and they can be shot at close range.

With a typical effective range of not much more than 20 yards on a good day and the small amount of shot useful for larger game, I don't see the 410 as being much of a fox or other such gun. Those critters which are shot around the house are invariably very close, typically 20 feet or less. There are also a couple of dogs immediately present which lessens the odds of a wounded animal getting away greatly. Being light and low recoiling, it is something my wife has no problem grabbing to use around the house. She prefers it to her 12 auto for such use.

As for loads, it is mostly 1/2 oz of 8 shot for training and much of my target use. I do have a few boxes of 3" shells with 11/16 oz 7.5 shot for the odd chance I will want to use it for pigeons, crows, or planted pheasants. There are also a few 3" shells with 4 shot to handle close range pests.

410 shells are indeed expensive which is the reason most who shoot it much reload. I am still loading for under $3 a box which is pretty reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:15 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks,for the reply. Just as I thought but wanted to ask the question. I will just use it to shoot slugs thru for fun and let the boy shoot it as well as my daughter if they want. I may want to try to take a Coyote at close range with it. But getting into enough coyotes around here to shoot one with every caliber and gauge is hard. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Use it for small game at 20yards, don't know about putting slugs through it as it's full choke and I've never shot slugs, check up on this before firing slugs though it. Safety being paramount.

Charlton Heston

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a Rossi 410 single shot that is my official truck gun. I've filled the freezer with grouse, quail, and the odd porcupine. I've made so many stupidly lucky shots with it that I'm tempted to use it for skeet.... But the doubles might be problematic. I love that gun, 4.5lbs of Chinese plastic and pot metal, worth about $80. Kicks like a 1 1/8" 12 gauge, and kills stuff like an anemic house cat:) but you can be assured it will be in my truck next year.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:28 am 
Presentation Grade

They are great for squirrels but are really fun on turkey's in thick woods with close encounters of 30 yards inward

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:57 pm 
Field Grade

Mag3 wrote:
Use it for small game at 20yards, don't know about putting slugs through it as it's full choke and I've never shot slugs, check up on this before firing slugs though it. Safety being paramount.

Yes it is fine to shoot slugs thru the full choke. When I got the shotgun years ago I emailed the manufacturer to be sure. I have shot many thru it and it is actually pretty accurate. I was hitting 5" steel plates with it at about 30ish yards.

I ask the question because I like to use what I own and it isn't getting much use. I will let my 8 year old boy use it as I am introducing him to firearms.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:59 pm 
Field Grade

Terrapin wrote:
I have a Rossi 410 single shot that is my official truck gun. I've filled the freezer with grouse, quail, and the odd porcupine. I've made so many stupidly lucky shots with it that I'm tempted to use it for skeet.... But the doubles might be problematic. I love that gun, 4.5lbs of Chinese plastic and pot metal, worth about $80. Kicks like a 1 1/8" 12 gauge, and kills stuff like an anemic house cat:) but you can be assured it will be in my truck next year.

My NEF cost $80 at Walmart back when my area Walmart sold guns. I refrain from using it as any time of Defense weapon as it is single shot.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:01 pm 
Field Grade

67galaxie wrote:
They are great for squirrels but are really fun on turkey's in thick woods with close encounters of 30 yards inward

I just can't even think about eating a squirrel. I used to shoot squirrel but then read that the Owl population suffers when there are less squirrels. So now I only shoot chipmunks, I HATE chipmunks.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Chrisnick wrote:
...I just can't even think about eating a squirrel. I used to shoot squirrel but then read that the Owl population suffers when there are less squirrels. So now I only shoot chipmunks, I HATE chipmunks.

What owl specie would have their population so negatively affected?

I vote bunny, squirrel, tin cans and clays.
On many game bird species I would consider considering the ethics of the .410 which operates on a narrow-er margin for success.
The reality of that margin overrides, or should, the appeal of anecdotal .410 "I got 'em" stories....if critter matters more than "watch 'is".

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Pattern the thing at 25 yards with some 3" shells and see what you get. You might be pleasantly surprised.

The .410 has been the "starter" shotgun for legions of shooters, myself included, but it's really an expert's gun. Nobody should have to learn to shoot with a .410, but once you get fairly good with the bigger gauges, you might be surprised at what you can do with it.

Take your pick.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Chrisnick wrote:
Mag3 wrote:

Yes it is fine to shoot slugs thru the full choke. When I got the shotgun years ago I emailed the manufacturer to be sure. I have shot many thru it and it is actually pretty accurate. I was hitting 5" steel plates with it at about 30ish yards.

I ask the question because I like to use what I own and it isn't getting much use. I will let my 8 year old boy use it as I am introducing him to firearms.

Glad to hear that you done your checks with manufacturer before putting slugs through it, way to go.

Charlton Heston

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:28 pm 
Field Grade

Mag3 wrote:
Chrisnick wrote:
Mag3 wrote:

Glad to hear that you done your checks with manufacturer before putting slugs through it, way to go.

Yeah, there is no messing around.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:29 am 
Presentation Grade

Send it out to have the choke opened to MOD or LT-MOD. Then it will be a very useful gun out to 35 yards for woodcock, grouse, and quail with #8 or #7.5 shot. I would use #5 for squirrel and rabbit.

The full choke makes the 410 pretty much useless, too tight of pattern inside of 35 yards and not enough pellets for longer range patterns at moving targets.

Pricey is under stated, you have to reload them if you plan on doing any serious shooting. I use mine for both hunting and sporting clay's. I reload a box for $4.17 at last seasons prices.

I use SKT & IC for 95% of all my shooting. That combo just works best. I have tried IC & Lt-Mod for sporting clay's when I have to use factory ammo in #7.5 shot but with #8 hard mag shot in my reloads the pellet count is up where IC is the tightest choke I need for out to 35 yards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I purchased an NEF .410 for a snake gun. It sits next to the front door and has ended the life of quite a few snakes wanting to come in the house. Full choke and nine's.

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School