It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone wear snake boots while hunting ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm in the market for a pair of Snake boots I can use while dove hunting . Does anyone here own a pair or had a pair and can comment on them ? I've searched all the web I could find and have lot's of different brands and price ranges . Not sure if I want insulated or not , depends how comfortable they are .

Post subject: Re: Anyone wear snake boots while hunting ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Snake boots are about all I wear while hunting. About the only time I switch to something else is when the temp drops for my area.

Mine are Danner Jackal GTX? I Think thats what they are called. They are very comfortable and light weigth in my opinion. Unfortunately they are in the $200 price range and are supposed to be water proof. They started leaking early in their life. I havent bothered replacing them yet because I havent found anything more comfortable. When I know the ground is going to be wet I just slip my feet into a plastic sack to keep my feet dry.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:00 pm 
Utility Grade

I have the Danner Pronghorn snake boots. As stated, Danners are expensive, but mine have been " field tested" and worth every nickel. You don't need insulation, when it's that cold, the likelihood of a strike doesn't go away, but it's unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for both your replies . I've checked out some Chippewas but for no more than i'll use them this year the price isn't justified at the moment . I know Danners are suppose to be really good but can't afford those right now . Right now my local Academy have some for $99.00 that I checked out and are really good and fit good . I know you get what you pay for but I have to go with what I can afford . These are the ones on my list next time I'm in Academy :

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-wi ... id=1098489

Thanks again for both replies !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:30 am 
Presentation Grade

My Rockies were $99 from bass pro and I love them. The shin protecting gators are really nice because you can take them off when at your shooting spot if they get too hot. Usually under $40

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a set of Rockys. before I bought them I contacted rocky and asked about them. the man I talked to said each pair took 6 strikes from a 4 ft. cottonmouth and 6 strikes from a 6 ft. eastern diamondback and I it was penetrated it was thrown in the trash. Mine has turned a 2 1/2 ft. copperhead with no problem. that test was not by choice. so far they have been comfortable and water proof. I have no complants.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:04 am 
Presentation Grade

Yep when it hunt in FL. Never seen one while hunting but they are there killed one dog a cotton mouth and guides said a big rattle snake crawled through the compound.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In Newest Mexico snake boots are awful hot most days. I wear a set of gaiters. Not expensive, easy on , easy off , cool, light. And they must work cause every time I wear em, I don't see snake one...
http://www.snakeguardz.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:09 pm 
Utility Grade

No, but I think I might try wearing them

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thought about them but quickly realized they would have to come up to my chest to be effective for the size rattlers there are in Montana where we hunt:-))

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:44 am 
Tournament Grade

jrd22 wrote:
Thought about them but quickly realized they would have to come up to my chest to be effective for the size rattlers there are in Montana where we hunt:-))

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jrd,
They strike up^ do they? There is less gravity in Montana than in years past? Global warming?
We have some sizable vipers here but as a rule they are ankle> biters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Came across a couple of 5 footers sunning themselves on a ledge in a draw I was walking past a couple of years ago. Face to face ain't how I like to first see a rattler!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh no, that's never good, or in trees either, you might require a "snake suit"?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Russel makes them, custom to your foot if need be; not cheap but they're about the best, Another idea might be good leather boots and chaps

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:07 am 
Tournament Grade

I remember watching a show on TV one time on true events and a young couple went out hiking with their young children both under 7 yrs old . One went off trail and then started crying and when parents found him they heard a rattler so they grab the young one and got back on trail but then the child was crying so they checked him and found a snake bite on his buttock . They barely got him to the hospital cause he started passing out . Doctor said the rattler must have been 5-ft or bigger cause . Said they could tell from the bite size and distance between the teeth marks. Child did survive . The bite was approx. 2-ft off the ground . Child must have seen it and started to run or backed into the snake to be bitten in the buttock . Child learned to never get off the trail tho .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gaiters. Always use 'em during dove and early Quail season. Easy on, easy off.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wear mine 24/7 when doing anything with outdoors in rattlesnake county.
Armando's boots in Raymondville , Texas. Many options for budget.
Once he has your measurement to just call and they'll make whatever you want. I have big calves so store-bought options do not work. Mine are 18 years old and still chugging along.

IMHO - Justin Dune Tractions are the best store bought option if they fit you.

DL