It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A very offtopic question - hunting as excuse?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:51 am 
Presentation Grade

Dear members of the board, I've got a question.

Sorry if you find this question inappropriate, as it touches on a delicate subject.

In my next column in Russian Hunting Magazine I'm touching on an issue of "hunting as an excuse". That is, a guy tells his wife he's going hunting, puts on his camo, packs up his gun and leaves home for a couple of days, but uses the time away to check into a motel with his mistress, or go wherever booze and loose women are available. In Russia it's pretty common; so common, in fact, that in just about every hunting and fishing lodge prostitutes and drink are only a question away. This sometimes makes life hard for people who really want to hunt and fish, and damages the image of hunters in the public eye, and... (go on for 1500 words and you'll get yourself a column).

The point is that it's a cultural question, and with every cultural question you've always have to check how it is in other cultures.

Thus the question.

Assuming you've never done it yourself, how common or uncommon is this practice around you?

Experientia est optima magistra.

Post subject: Re: A very offtopic question - hunting as excuse?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:01 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

In the United States, it is not at all associated with hunting, that simple.

Hunting trips are done with friends and family: most folks try to take their kids and their wives if at all possible.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Randy, around here it is a friends and family endeavor!

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not sure that its association is unique to Russia, but as others have already stated, infidelity is not a practice that is associated with hunting here in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:27 am 
Presentation Grade

Why would a person seek out floozies when the company of good men and dogs can be had?

obozocare--It's so good, you'll be fined if you don't buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

stripersonfly wrote:
Not sure that its association is unique to Russia, but as others have already stated, infidelity is not a practice that is associated with hunting here in the US.

When I lived in northern NV, a town named Winnemucca had 5 brothels who always saw an uptick in business when the out of state hunters were either - passing through on their way to another state, or staying in the area going after mulies or chukar. While not as prevalent as it seems to be in Russia, to say it doesn't ever happen is incorrect.

There was always some form of adult beverages in any hunting or fishing camp as well - not saying everyone got toasted, but after a long day, relaxing with a beer did/does happen.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Assuming this question has a touch of legitimacy, there is, for example, a difference twixt Birdhunter/Birdhunting and birdhunter/birdhunting.....and, with bird shooting.
The farther one sits from or fails to understand that capital letter 'B'....the more likelyhood of such decisions, as were alluded to, controlling the immature amongst us.
As well, birddogs added to the equation will normally further sit that capital 'B' from the hoi polli adopting an image and along for an upland ride. IF a birddog is simply to round out an upland tableau then that is sad.

I find it sadder still that this possible issue appears of enough interest to even rank as column filler.
I would reckon that there would exist far more important issues afoot in many areas of the world re Habitat, game, non-game and even...hunters and hunting to relegate such silliness to the gossip rags.
:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Hard core drinkers are not hard to find in hunting country, it is common to see men in hunting close load their vehicle with a fairly large quantity of liquor before embarking on a trip. It is especially common on the opening of some seasons such as deer, waterfowl, or pheasant. I made more DUI or other alcohol related arrests the mornings (0400-1100) of the weekend of the waterfowl opener and the first 9 days of deer season than the rest of the year combined- excluding Labor Day, Memorial Day, and the 4th of July if a three day weekend.

I also guided goose hunters for a while and had more than one party I refused to take out due to their condition in the morning. More than one threatened violence on me but they tended to back off when they realized I wasn't backing down.

This is not to mention the actions of some i was associated with during a time I leased land. It was bad enough that I slept in the truck which I parked as far from the house as I could, started buying my own gear rather than use the club's so I could avoid hunting with most of the members, and worked hard at finding private property to hunt to be even further away. By the time my 5 years were up, I only used the yard for parking and the house for the bathroom and shower. I even brought my own water jug to keep my distance. Bad memories there.

I have also had experience with some of these "hunters" picking up women to cheat on wives. About a quarter of the guys in the lease I bought into cheated on spouses when out there. There was one who also cheated on his mistress. A fair percentage of the hunters I guided tried chatting up gals in the local diner and bars but the girls were smart enough to not go down that direction.

I was not a prude then but at least I was single with no steady girlfriend so if I would have picked some Floosie up, it would not have cheating. But, sleeping in the truck with often wet and dirty dogs was not conducive to picking up chicks and I was of an age the girls I was interested in usually did not have their own place. More importantly, I was a smart kid in those days and realized messing with a farmer's daughter was a good way of getting shot or being forced into a marriage.

The above actions are not the norm for hunters but they are not uncommon. The drinking aspect is by far the more common of the two but considering how common local bars have "dancers" making guest appearances on the deer hunting opener one must believe there is some fooling around happening.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:46 am 
Utility Grade

Not around me, we take our hunting seriously. Plus to do any whoring or such we need to go to the big city not rural America.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:42 am 
Crown Grade

I guess when it comes to being unfaithful to your spouse, ANYTHING can be used as an excuse.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you all for your very valuable insights.

Guess I owe a little explanation. The magazine issue for which the column is intended is how do others see us hunters, and I'm going to take on the problem described for a variety of reasons. To be honest, I hold very liberal views on sex, but I can't understand how people can sacrifice the very limited opportunities to hunt for something like that, and it's really damaging to the image of hunting imo. Finally, I have a few personal grudges, as I really don't like it when I arrive with my wife and children at a hunting or fishing lodge and see the residents of the next cabin call in a carload of questionable females. I'd really like to have hunting in Russia perceived as a family affair, and while I don't think a couple of columns could change that, I'm sure gonna try.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:32 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It is not a good topic. The word "excuse" as you are struggling to use isn't correct. What you mean is "lie." Whoever wants to lie, cheat, or deceive their family or friends will do so. It has nothing at all to do with hunting, for you could concoct the same type of social issue article about golf, tennis, chess, tennis, hiking, camping, a car show, going to the movies, or concerts.

Whether it is a restaurant, a night club, a gym, a resort, etc., the proprietor decides on whether it is family friendly or not-- and those who frequent different establishments do so based in part on the environment they prefer.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Guess you're right, Randy. After all, my ultimate goal is to promote hunting as a family thing, and so that "most folks try to take their kids and their wives if at all possible", as you wrote in your first comment, and perhaps it would be better indeed to focus on the positive rather than to rand against the negative. Spread the light, not fight darkness kind of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Part of it as Randy touched on is I DO NOT surround myself with liars and cheaters. A man that cheats on his wife is not to be trusted, if they will do that to her how could you ever trust them?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have several close friends from Russia who would look at this thread and role their eyes. If the original poster is truly from Russia, he will understand why. Please don't waste our time with this kind of drivel.