It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Staying downwind
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:21 am 
Diamond Grade

I live in the Appalachian mountains. We don't get many strong winds here, one to five mile per hour winds are the norm. That being said, I am not a deer hunter. I have shot one deer in my entire life. I like squirrel and rabbit hunting and sometimes turkey so I never have worried too much about scent.

I have to wonder how anyone stays downwind of anything around here. I go outside to smoke at night and have been observing something. You can watch the chimney smoke go one direction and then curve around in another direction while my tobacco smoke will travel in yet another direction. Then at any given moment it will change. You can walk around the yard and the wind will blow a different direction on every side of the house like it is just swirling around. I seem to remember from traveling to southern Georgia and central Florida that the wind there tends to blow more steadily in more or less one direction.

So what I am wondering is if people experience that sort of wind condition elsewhere and if so how do you deal with it when hunting?

I know this is probably an unusual question but it has been weighing on my mind.

Post subject: Re: Staying downwind
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:25 am 
Diamond Grade

First, be nice if deer were few but since they sadly are not.....I suspect wind is dealt with in deer hunting in several ways, at least that was so back when I actually hunted the stupid things.
Multiple stand locations, scent reduction products, stand height, cover scent would be four in play today.
In the Apps and most areas, wind direction varies with slope in the mornings and evenings so that helps to consider.

In the central and southern Apps., the deer hunter focus of Locate, Lease and Lock Up along with feeding nest predators nearly 365 and indescriminate means of deer protection have negatively affected many critters and, of less importance, those who hunt the huntable critters.
If only deer had no antlers. :idea:
Maybe one day that ship will sink of it's own weight....which would be good tho good too late for some critters. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

The deer are plentiful here. I should be doing my part I suppose. I do enjoy eating them. You have to be careful driving at night because of them, even through town. People think they are pretty and won't try to scare them away and even feed them like pets. They aren't so pretty splattered over the front end of a vehicle. There should be laws against harboring deer if you live anywhere near a highway.

They darn well know when season is. They aren't afraid of people within 15 yards until the rifles start cracking. I've had multiple close encounters in the past year where the deer knew I was there and they didn't seem to mind being within spitting distance of me. They act like cattle. You can walk towards one and they won't bother moving until you are right on them. Had a couple of young ones run right in front of me in the woods the other day. They crossed the trail and went about ten yards into the woods and just stood there looking at me. I talked to them and everything and they wouldn't leave. I could have easily killed one with my pistol.

Deer aren't all that difficult to get a shot on. Then you have coyotes and wild hogs. Let them catch a whiff of you and you can forget about it. I'd like to master the art of staying downwind for tracking dogs and hogs. Being a smoker I never will be able to mask my scent unless I quit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Is the wind different in Louisiana?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Multiflora wrote:

I wouldn't know. Seemed like it was different in Florida and Georgia. I was wondering if the landscape here doesn't create unique wind patterns. Come to the mountains and build a campfire on the river bank. You'll soon find that you can't avoid the smoke no matter where you sit because the wind is constantly changing directions. I thought maybe that doesn't happen so much in flat areas.

You can see how the landscape here is all hills, valleys, and ridges. It's no great mystery why the wind shifts around so much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

fishinpolejoe wrote:
Multiflora wrote:

I wouldn't know. Seemed like it was different in Florida and Georgia. I was wondering if the landscape here doesn't create unique wind patterns. Come to the mountains and build a campfire on the river bank. You'll soon find that you can't avoid the smoke no matter where you sit because the wind is constantly changing directions. I thought maybe that doesn't happen so much in flat areas.

You can see how the landscape here is all hills, valleys, and ridges. It's no great mystery why the wind shifts around so much.

There is wisdom in this. I fly hot air balloons and we launch just before sunrise and are much aware of something called drainage. As the hills around us catch the morning sun, the breeze generated by cascading densities changes constantly. Rise up a couple dozen feet and you can change your drift by quite a few degrees. Wait a few minutes, descending or rising just a bit can almost reverse your direction. Sometimes one is held motionless while hanging in suspense. If someone passes gas at that moment it stays in the basket. Early morning shifts in slight breezes is common. Watch the sun on the hills nearby and learn what they do.
Regards,
Skydancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

That's very interesting, Skydancer. Piloting a hot air balloon and getting it to take you where you want to go must be quite challenging.

I hiked to the highest point in the county on a ridge yesterday. I laid back on the cliff for a while and watched the wind that was coming up the ridge blow the falling leaves way up in the air above everything else and watched clouds run into each other from opposite directions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I hunt deer every year and enjoy a good plate of venison. I have taken deer with both bow and rifle. For bow hunting I used an old trick and tied a slim piece of thread to the bow string. Even helps to add a lite feather. This way one can set up according to wind. Bow hunting is the most critical because you need time before the deer is spooked and you need to be close.
During rifle season I prefer to have a wind advantage but most wildlife have a kind of a comfort distance where they do not get as antsy although I have had some get spooky. Last two deer I shot were over 100 yards away. Deer stands seem to help where they are built like kids tree houses. I prefer to build to take advantage of prevailing winds. Also I hunt on my own land or my brother in laws. Deer are more used to human activity and not as spooky to scent.

DP