It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Realy Apreciate the Timber-doodles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Grouse have been pretty thin the last few years but the timber doodles have ben very plentiful. I really Love hunting them their in the same places we fine grouse. Beautiful birds and fun to hunt. We are dog less hunters but do very well.

Post subject: Re: Realy Apreciate the Timber-doodles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:34 pm 
Field Grade

It was the opposite where I hunt.
Plenty of ruff's but I didn't see a single woodcock. A friend hit a small pocket and got one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:40 pm 
Crown Grade

We did pretty decent on both but I hit the mudbats hard as I was working a pair of young dogs and an older one that was indifferent to them.

One can find both species in the same coverts but the prime areas will be a little different for each. I tend to concentrate on primes areas for each unless it is dry when grouse key a lot on wetter areas. From mid September to the end of October I get nearly a couple hours of hunting daily at a minimum. We get a fair number of grouse and woodcock over the season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:55 am 
Presentation Grade

In FL for vacation, hunted quail yesterday the 410 did its trick nicely. There was a 13-15 mph wind, I got all my quail with the first shot (SKT). If I missed the second (Lt-Mod) did not connect all day. I guess I did not calculate the extra speed thus extra lead needed for that second shot due to the extra wind.

A pheasant tower hunt in a few days my first, need bigger gauge, the 410 is now clean and boxed for shipment home.

Deep fried Quail has to be the best way to devour these tasty creatures.