CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap ammo in Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 am 
Utility Grade

hi all,

trying to find a place selling cheap around melbourne for skeet shooting.. cheapest i found is $149 for a case (500) of champion 28gm 9 1/2. thanks in advance...

Last edited by Johnnydelva on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: Cheap ammo in Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:05 am 
Tournament Grade

That's pretty cheap Johnny, we are paying NZ$88 per slab (250) of Fiocchi/Target over here. (Well actually, they are always too expensive , no matter where you live!!!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:51 pm 
Field Grade

Have you tried Ballantine in Laverton? I understand they wholesale direct to the public - at least shot they do - and may do cartridges too.
RG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:04 am 
Utility Grade

thanks guys.. i'll give them a go... if i can get it cheap i'm willing to purchase 10+ cases (5000+ shots)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:07 am 
Tournament Grade

G'day Johnnydelva,

Ballantine's number is (03) 93637154. I can get them for around $155.00 a case (500 shells), they don't come in half cases as far as I am aware, here in Mildura. You should be able to do better than that. I heard a rumour that Fio's were going to go up to $115.00 per half case....ouch.

G'day Bulltahr,

NZ$88 is just under AU$70 so that would be about AU$140/case, which I just paid for some fio targets but they were a run out special. They are usually AU$160/case.The guy that stocks them says they are going to be too expensive.

Andrew.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:10 am 
Utility Grade

so would it be worth thinking about reloading?

Post subject: Re: re: Cheap ammo in Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Johnnydelva wrote:

Without doubt. If you are into Skeet shooting definately reload.

With the price of all factory loads heading skywards, it still makes economic sense to reload. The big thing is to buy in bulk. Empty hulls are freely available on most club grounds, primers and powder choices are limited but generally it pays to go with the ones that are always available. The big saving can be made on shot and at skeet ranges (out to 25m) that means re-claimed shot.

New commercial shot has come back from the $80/10kg highs of last year to settle at around $40/10kg at the present time. Re-claimed shot is available at the moment for around $20/10kg.

At those prices you should be able to load 1oz skeet loads for around $100 per case (500) and if you make them 7/8oz loads then even less.

Best of Luck :D

P

Post subject: Re: re: Cheap ammo in Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Phantom wrote:
Johnnydelva wrote:

Without doubt. If you are into Skeet shooting definately reload.

With the price of all factory loads heading skywards, it still makes economic sense to reload. The big thing is to buy in bulk. Empty hulls are freely available on most club grounds, primers and powder choices are limited but generally it pays to go with the ones that are always available. The big saving can be made on shot and at skeet ranges (out to 25m) that means re-claimed shot.

New commercial shot has come back from the $80/10kg highs of last year to settle at around $40/10kg at the present time. Re-claimed shot is available at the moment for around $20/10kg.

At those prices you should be able to load 1oz skeet loads for around $100 per case (500) and if you make them 7/8oz loads then even less.

Best of Luck :D

P

I am very interested in reclaimed shot. Can you give me some details of where to get it please? I am in Victoria.

Post subject: Re: Cheap ammo in Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Reclaimed shot is available from our major gun shops in the City.

There is a gentleman at our Club that salvages the shot from the ground, cleans it thoroughly, tumbles it, grades it and graphites it before sale. Covers his shooting costs and it is perfectly suitable for skeet loads. He is retired and it gives him an interest and something to do with his time.

Another shooter obtains reclaimed direct from the ACTA. I can only assume that this comes from the National Ground at Wagga and is repackaged in heavy plastic 10kg bags.

Ask around at your local gun shops or Clubs. Perhaps even contact the ACTA Office. I am sure that with a little research you will be able to come up with a local supplier.

P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:40 am 
Field Grade

28g Champion are $140 per case (500) @ the factory.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Hardtop_110 wrote:
28g Champion are $140 per case (500) @ the factory.

As of July 09 now $145