CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: just how many australians do we have at sgw?
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Are target shooters in Aussie,able to buy semi-auto shotguns,or are they unavailable for the average shooter?.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:36 am 
Tournament Grade

G'day Caerlonie,
The average shooter can not get a semi. But an ACTA member can if they have a dr's certificate stating they need the reduced recoil.
Also primary producers can have a semi.

Andrew.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Thats retarded.I have 2 semi's which I brought,mainly because of the soft recoil factor,you should'nt have to apply for a special permit for these guns they are just sporting guns designed for hunting/clays nothing more.But I guess you already know that.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:04 am 
Field Grade

We can't have anything semi-auto except for pistols which require a special license.

I dont mide the recoil of any of my shotguns. I guess is you've been brought up with u/o and sxs your not missing out on anything as you were never brought up with anything else

Other then recoil in what situation is a semi-auto better then a double barrel? If it takes more the 2 shots to hit a bird (either clay or real) or a rabbit or anything else for that matter you should be spending more time at the range.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:54 am 
Presentation Grade

I used a U/O for the first 10 years or so of my shooting,but prefer a semi nowadays as I got to the stage I really don't like the kick much it put me off shooting.Which is why I use them,NOT because of using 'more than 2 shots' I seldom if ever load more than 2 shells in the mag anyway.I would say semi auto and pump shotguns make up about 80-90% of all new shotgun sales in NZ,because they are more affordable than new decent quality U/O,we still have the choice down here and they are what most shooters buy now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm 
Utility Grade

I also just found this area of the forum have been reading for approx 6 months.

In the central west of NSW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

G'day Aussie Mick .

What part of the central west ?

I live on the coast about an hour Nth of Sydney

Derek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:58 pm 
Utility Grade

I near Dubbo NSW Nice spot when it rains some good hunting around these parts too.

I have brother that lives at Wyong near Newcastle another great piece of OZ.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mick

I lived in Dubbo in 1970-1 .Really liked living there .Work took me away.

Now at Summerland Point .Your brother would know where that is.

Derek

Post subject: Re: just how many australians do we have at sgw?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:51 am 
Presentation Grade

Hi Guys,
Gippsland, Victoria. First love is skeet but shoot more trap currently just because it is available. Used to shoot a lot of F&G Simulated Field and got to AA but also got disillusioned and pissed off by grounds setting ridiculous targets that are more a test of luck then skill so I don't shoot it much now.

I've been hanging around this forum for quite some time but only just discovered this section.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:58 am 
Tournament Grade

aussieblackduck wrote:
Used to shoot a lot of F&G Simulated Field and got to AA but also got disillusioned and pissed off by grounds setting ridiculous targets

I'm with you ABD. Also used to shoot F&G several years ago but when they started to set targets at 60yds+ and then going away from you, that was the last straw for me.

Shoot skeet predominately now, as well as DTL. Also a little ACTA Sporting Clays as the presentations are much more reasonable and reflect the shots you are likely to take in the field.

Phantom

Post subject: Re: re: just how many australians do we have at sgw?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:04 am 
Presentation Grade

Caerlonie wrote:
Are target shooters in Aussie,able to buy semi-auto shotguns,or are they unavailable for the average shooter?.

It depends on which state you are in to some extent. There is a general ban on semi-auto rifles and shotguns and pump action shotguns in all States and Territories but they are available on special licences to Farmers for use on their farms and to competition clay target shooters for use only on clay target shooting ranges. In Victoria (and presumably all the other sates and territories as well because it was part of the Police summit agreement) there are two ways to qualify for a Category C license for clay target shooting.
1. You owned a semi-auto or pump action shotgun for use in clay target events on 15th Nov, 1996 (the date the new laws were enacted) and were at that time a member of the ACTA.
2. The sporting shooter requires the firearm for clay target events due to a lack of strength or dexterity.

Note that supporting documentation is required for the above reasons.
For 1. it includes proof of membership at the date and proof of ownership at that date.
For 2. it includes a doctors statement outlining the physical condition that is given as the reason. (This provision inherently accepts that semi-auto shotguns significantly lessen the effects of recoil on the body).

In Victoria, the use of Semi-Auto's has been extended to include target shooting with Field and Game membership. Semi-Auto's can be used for clay target shooting on any clay target range by shooters that hold a Cat. C license for clay target shooting, but under this license they can NOT be used for any kind of field shooting. Note that when I wanted to visit a F&G competition in Tasmania I was informed by the Tasmanian Firearms Officer that I could not legally use my semi-auto forearm on the F&G range, only on ACTA ranges. :( I think the same might apply in NSW.

In Victoria, a holder of a Category C licence for Clay Target shooting may own up to four Category C firearms for this purpose. For example, I have a Trap Gun, a Skeet Gun and a Sporting Clays Gun under this provision and intend to acquire another spare/backup gun in the near future.
As I understand it, in NSW they may only own one. (There goes the backup gun....... :( ) EDIT: Had correspondence with SoT today and he has been informed that NSW has no limitation on number of firearms on the special clay shooting Cat. C license - good news!)
I don't know the details of this in the other states. Perhaps someone who does can let us know?

I am not a Lawyer so I am not an expert on the laws but I have gone into it in some detail a number of times so if any Victorians are thinking of applying for a Category C license I am happy to help with what I know. I know of at least one case where it seems to me the Victorian Firearms Branch seriously misled an applicant with incorrect advice so beware.

PM me if you have any questions and I will happy to try to help.

PS. I forgot to mention that people who use a firearm for professional purposes may also obtain a category C firearms license. For example, professional pest destruction, where a person derives a significant proportion of their income from this activity. (Quite difficult to satisfy this requirement and I know of only a few people who hold this license).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:10 am 
Utility Grade

Gidday all. Brand new ( Aussie ) member here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:18 pm 
Field Grade

aussieblackduck wrote:
I know of at least one case where it seems to me the Victorian Firearms Branch seriously misled an applicant with incorrect advice so beware.

Only one?!
RG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:42 am 
Presentation Grade

cadet wrote:
aussieblackduck wrote:
I know of at least one case where it seems to me the Victorian Firearms Branch seriously misled an applicant with incorrect advice so beware.

Only one?!
RG

at least!!! :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:05 am 
Utility Grade

hi guys, new to forum. been shooting for about 20 years but only just getting back into clay shooting. from western australia.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi guys I am in Gippsland and shoot sporting clays. Have been on this site for a little while but just noticed this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ahhoy there

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 am 
Presentation Grade

bigjedd wrote:
Hi guys I am in Gippsland and shoot sporting clays. Have been on this site for a little while but just noticed this thread.

Welcome! :D
Field and Game? If so we have probably crossed paths at one or more of the Gippsland clubs. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yep F&G member at Moe club I am only new to clays and shoot "C "grade Have been Rotating weekly on Sundays between Morwell, Traralgon, Sale,and Moe. But now its Duck season so I will try for some waterfowl and only shoot Bairnsdale or South Gippsland until end of June.