It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me ID Grandpa's double barrel 16 Ga. from Europe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi,

I am hoping someone here can help me out. I am the proud owner of a 16 Ga., side by side, double barrel. My Grandpa fought in Europe during WWII and the tale goes that when the GI's would liberate a town in France then they would require the townsfolk to produce all their firearms and put them in a big pile in the town square. My Grandpa apparently selected this gun from the pile and had it sent home in one of these towns. So from around 1944 to now this gun has been in the possession of either my Grandpa, my Dad, or I. I heard this story straight from his mouth and I did not ever know him to embellish much so I am pretty confident this is accurate.

Description:
16 Gauge
Double Barrel (side by side)
Two Hammers each with their own trigger

In lettering about a mm high block letters engraved into left hand barrel on near underside, "MANUFACTURE LIEGEOISE D'ARMES A FEU-LIEGE"

The wooden cheekplate is stamped with some numbers "1" and then "2 1 2" with a space between the 1 and 212 of about a finger width.

The gun has a metal butt plate that is held on with two screws.

The metal parts of the gun are not highly decorated. Between the barrels the "rib" has kind of a scallop pattern on it and where it meets the main part of the gun (where the shells go) it has kind of a fireworks looking pattern (engraved lines with dots on the ends). Each barrel has kind of an interlocking "T" pattern at the end where the shells go in.

The gun has oval shaped rings to accept a sling under the barrels and also on the butt stock. These are on swivels.

The wood front stock on the gun is knurled in several places with kind of an art deco effect (think the top of the empire state building). Same goes for the part where your trigger hand would rest. The butt is undecorated other than the stamped numbers on the cheek plate mentioned above.

When you break the gun down on the part that is immediatley forward of the firing pins on the right hand side are stamped two stylized lions standing on their hind legs facing opposite directions one over the other and then a horizonal line with the lettering P.V under it. Under all that is an oval shape with a squiggle at the top and then the letters L L or M L. These are all very small and hard to make out.

On the right side the numbers 213092 are stamped.

That's about all I can see. The gun is in first class shape with no dings or scrapes on metal or wood.

Any ideas about this gun, where it was made, or a rough idea of the value?

Post subject: re: Help me ID Grandpa's double barrel 16 Ga. from Europe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:33 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

That maker was located in Liege Belgium from about 1863.. They were better known as a maker of handguns than shotguns.. However they did make shotguns of various grades and styles. Yours sounds like a lower grade gun. Most of these are in the $200 to $500 bracket, depending on condition,,Bushrod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the insight. I guess some French family bought a Belgian gun then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/ar ... u%20gb.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:26 pm 
Utility Grade

There is a double barrel shotgun on that page that is very much like Grandad's. The markings on the body of the gun are identical as well. Thanks for sharing!