CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W. Richards Double-Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:50 am 
Utility Grade

I've been surfing around on the forum, and have come across several posts talking about these shotguns. However, I can't seem to match any of the information to what I have. It's a VERY old and beat up shotgun, with the break lever under the barrels, where the fore end would be. There is a metal plate that covers the grip portion of the stock that is stamped "W. RICHARDS" in all capital block letters. The only other markings I can find on it are the number "32100" stamped under the break lever, and between the barrels, about halfway down on the underside. It also has the number "89", with "BC" under it, stamped in the wood under the right barrel, towards the pivot.

I'm positive it's not a Westley Richards, and it doesn't match the descriptions of ID marks given by the W. Richards website. I'm sure it's probably a Belgian copy, just curious if it might be something else.

Post subject: re: W. Richards Double-Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

It's not a copy of a Westley Richards. just a cheap knock off of the name. They were imported from Belgium by the thousands around the turn of the century. they were made in several configurations, yours being an early one with the Lefaucheux type action.. These guns are $100 wall hangers and shouldn't be fired.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:49 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Your gun sounds like it is JABC (just another Belgium clunker). If you take the barrels off, you will probably find the letters ELG in script or the peron mark that looks like the Washington Monument. These are Liege proofs.

In the early 1900's many small shops in Belgium made cheap guns for import to the US. Many of these cheap guns used the Lefaucheux action that you describe. These guns often had names that mirrored the better English guns but were misspelled such as Purdy (Purdey) and W. Richards (for Westley Richards). Many of these guns had no real maker since one shop made barrels, another actions, another stocks and then they were assembled by yet another shop.

In his book The Gun and It's Development , W.W. Greener uses these words to describe the Lefaucheux locking system: "a crude mechanism" and this statement, "The great fault of the gun is the weakness of the breech action and the clumsy and inefficient method of securing the barrels thereto; defects which English gun-makers were quick to observe and remedy.".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:55 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Guess that I was looking up what old W.W. had to say about the Lefaucheux action as Bushrod was posting! :)

Just goes to show that great minds sometimes will run in the same direction. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:55 pm 
Utility Grade

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info guys. The gun has no hammers, and is in a horrible state of disrepair, so I won't be doing anything to it. Not even good enough to hang on the wall.