Shotgun Forum banner

Value Winchester model 21/16 gauge double barrel shotgun

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Researcher01 
#1 ·
I am seeking information on a Winchester Model 21/16 gauge double barrelled shotgun w/single trigger/button select, serial #11838. Inherited this gun, last fired approx. 1975, in good used condition (original blueing, shows some wear on wood), would love to know about how old it is, value, scarcity, etc. Have been told this is a scarce piece, valued at several thousand dollars. If I need to insure, etc., I need more info. Have no plans to use it - it was grandad's - but want to make sure I preserve/insure/do whatever I need to do to keep it correctly for next generation. It has its original leather case, showing some wear, marked 72D/28. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
It is hard to date Model 21s by the serial number, as they made up and numbered lots of receivers then assembled guns in no strict order from them. Probably a gun in the 11xxx range would be pre WW-II. Model 21s are the darlings of both collectors and shooters, and with the cachet of the Winchester name, they draw big dollars. Value depends heavily on originality and percent of original finishes, but most any 16-gauge Model 21 with single selective trigger and automatic ejectors will draw $4000 to $5000.

You can get a research letter on your Model 21 from the Winchester records in the archives at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming.

If you are anywhere in the mid-Atlantic area, bring it to The Vintage Cup at Pintail Pointe Farms, Queenstown, Maryland, 24-27 September. There will be plenty of experts there to give you advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.