It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help identifying a Russian made O/U, possibly a Baikal?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey guys, I've hade this shotgun for a while now, and I'm interested in fixing it up finally. It needs a new stock (hence the tape on the stock) due to a split in the wood. I've searched around quite a bit, and I'm fairly sure it's a Baikal, but I'm not positive.
bottom side: (sorry for it being so blurry) it says "Made in Russia"
right side markings:
left side markings:
under the T03-34EP on the left side, the number stamped is "9326229" and under that is stamped "12x70" and "18,5"

I'm wondering what brand it is for sure and which of the numbers is the model number. does the "12x70" mean that its a 12 gauge?

Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a Russian made O/U, possibly a Baikal?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Looks like a Baikal. 12/70 refers to 12 gauge 70mm (2-3/4') chamber. 18.5 is the bore diameter in millimeters ( 0.728").

Check with European American Armory ( also Remington-Spartan ? ) for availability of a replacement stock

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This shotgun is not a Baikal Calebe5.

Your O/U is actually a TOZ 34. The shotgun was built by Tula Arms in Russia. The dead give away is the forearm and the way the gun breaks down, which is unique compared to most O/U's. Since this shotgun was not built by IZM Baikal forget about contacting EAA for a replacement stock. The gun also looks like it has a adjustable aluminum Morgan butt pad which is made in the US. The 0,6 is Modified choke bottom barrel. 1,0 is Full choke top barrel. The gun is a 12 gauge as mentioned with a 2-3/4 chamber.

http://www.tulatoz.ru/en/history.html

http://www.tulatoz.ru/en/toz34.html

Here is the US distributor for TOZ linked below. I would get the tele # off this site and start there first for a replacement stock. Currently they are out of 34's (The Gun) in stock. I know because I was kicking around buying one. The only O/U model they have in now is the TOZ 120. I wanted the 34 over the 120 because the 34 has been around for several decades overseas.

http://www.ssmedwi.com/

We also have a couple members here Tozman and shotgunguru who are familiar with this shotgun. You might PM both these guys for more info. If memory serves me correct Tozman currently owns a TOZ 34.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:22 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for taking the time to help me out! This will help me out a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:10 am 
Presentation Grade

JDS has already provided a lot of info.

The only bit I can add is that this one was produced in 1993 (can tell it from the serial number).

Good luck finding a replacement stock.

Very nice low weight shotgun with a low profile. I love mine.