Shotgun Forum banner

J. Stevens 12 GA single shot, need to know model number

38K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  MikeBNj 
#1 ·
The title pretty much sums it up. All I know is it was my grandfather's shotgun. It is a single shot with a snap on forestock. I will get some pictures up by this weekend. It needs a firing pin, so that is why I need to know the model number.Thank you in advance for your help {hs#

#2 ·
Probably a 94 or a 940. Most of those old single shots have interchangeable parts. Try Numrichs for parts.

A photo will confirm the model number.

#3 ·
Thank you. I just need to find my camera and I will get some pictures up. are parts for the different series of model 94's interchangable? Where on the gun would I find the model number (if it isn't worn off like half the other markings :? )

Also, one last question... my grandfather had the forestock wraped with wire to keep it from coming off when fired. I'm not sure if I should also replace the foreend spring, the foreend spring spring, or both?

#5 ·
If the name on the gun is J. Stevens Arms Co. it was made between WW-I and WW-II. If the name is J.Stevens Arms & Tool Co. it is pre WW-I. The No. 94 was introduced about 1930 as a Springfield. The No. 94 wasn't a Stevens until after WW-II. During the J. Stevens Arms Co. years there were a number of J. Stevens single barrels. The No. 181 and 183 were hammerless. The hammer singles were the No. 85 and 89 were heavy 12-gauge guns known as the "Dreadnaught", the No. 85 plain extractor, and the No. 89 with automatic ejector; The No. 105 plain extractor and No. 107 automatic ejector were made in 12-, 16-, 20-, 28-gauges and .410-bore; the No. 106 plain extractor and the No. 108 automatic ejector was called the "Featherweight" and was offered in .44, .410, or 12mm and 14mm or 32-gauge; The No. 115 was like the No. 107 but with a checkered stock and forearm; and finally the No. 125 was the "Ladies Model" like the No. 115 but with a 13 1/4 inch length-of-pull and offered in 16-, 20-, 28-gauges and .410-bore. By 1925 the hammerless singles had been dropped. In 1927 they added a solid rib version of the No. 115 called the No. 116.

#9 ·
I really appreciate everyone's help. My photo of the top of the barrel didn't come out, and I forgot to mention that it is marked High Pressure 1 Piece Barrel.

After comparing it to other pictures and everyone's advice I know it is a 94. I just need to find out which model 94 so I can get the correct firing pin. Any help is still greatly appreciated to narrow it down :)

#10 ·
Your gun looks like a No. 105 or No. 107 to my eye. In all of my Stevens/Springfield paper the No. 94 is shown with a completely flat-sided receiver, not profiled back toward the grip like the No. 105 or No. 107, and your gun. In all likelihood all these various Stevens/Springfield single barrels had pretty much the same action, the real differences being the quality of the wood and the finishing details.

From the J. Stevens Arms Co. 1919 catalogue --

#12 ·
I know its an old thread, but I stumbled upon a few of these pictures and saw a part im looking for. On the front grip there is a "u" shaped part on a spring that keeps the front grip on the shotgun. anyone have any idea where i can find that part?

Just picked up a 107 model and the grip wont stay on because that part is broken. even if someone can tell me what its called would be a big help.

thank you!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.