It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neophyte with questions regarding a Remington 1100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Gentlemen,

I'll start by saying that I know little or nothing about shotguns, I just had several land in my lap and am in the process of determining what I have.

I spent the last couple of days searching the vast knowledge base here and have had most of my questions answered but still am not entirely sure about the Rem 1100.

How do I go about deciding which model I have? This thing has no markings, except for the scroll work on both sides, of the receiver. It has a 30", vent rib barrel, (remember here that I know very little), and no means of changing chokes. It does have "MOD" stamped on the barrel next to the receiver so does that mean it is a fixed Modified?

The date stamp is "RY", so, depending on who I listened to it was manufactured in either 2004 or 1931...???

The serial # is M******V, does this tell me anything?

Is this any help or am I not giving the correct info?

I thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: Neophyte with questions regarding a Remington 1100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:17 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Here is a little info: The M1100 had fixed chokes like your modified choked gun until 1986 when they became an option. In 1987,Rem.Chokes became standard. So your gun predates 1986. The M1100 came out in 1963 so your gun was made between '63 and '86. You can call Remington and they can tell you the DOM by the serial number and markings. The direct line to the Remington Historians is 1-800-243-9700.

I am no Remington expert but I think that the R & V in the serial number means that it is a Field grade with a ventilated rib. This may be incorrect let me know what you come up with.