It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need approx. age / model for Stevens dbl-barrel shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an old Stevens double-barrel 12 ga. that came from my uncle. I know from past reserch that records are sketchy for these old guns. I am told the wording of the company name can help bracket the age. I would also like to know the model, if there is one. Below is the info off the gun:

Right side of receiver has: J. Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls, Mass, U.S.A.
Patented April 20, 1915

Left side of receiver: STEVENS, followed by an engraved goose flying over what looks like marsh grass or reeds.

Under the wood grip is a number H15825, but I am told that is not a serial #.

Any help is appreciated. Not concerned with value, but would be curious. It is shootable, but I've been told the barrels have thinned somewhat so to use "light" loads and fire only the occasional round. It will be a wallhanger primarily.

Post subject: Re: Need approx. age / model for Stevens dbl-barrel shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Your gun sounds like a Stevens No. 330, which was a slightly upscale version of their Springfield No. 315. The No. 330 was introduced around 1923.

About 1930 the No. 330 got a Jostam Anti-Flinch recoil pad and twin ivory sights --

In 1936 the No. 330 was replaced by the No. 530 with Stevens new 5100 action.

For any more information, you'll have to contact the Savage historian --

John T. Callahan
Arms Historian
P.O. Box 82
Southampton, MA 01073

I believe John charges $20 for info on old Stevens guns.