Shotgun Forum banner

Ruger red label 20ga value?

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  DoublesForever 
#1 ·
Unfortunately I need to sell my Ruger Red Label 20 ga and I'm trying to figure out a reasonable value. From the serial number it looks like it was made in 1989, has the blued receiver, and the full and mod fixed chokes. Condition is 95% with not rust and a few tiny dings in the stock. Do not have the original box. I saw two identical guns currently listed on GB for $1400 and $1500, but that seems pretty high. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Can post pics if that helps.

#3 ·
Don't forget that they are discontinued and not supported by Ruger any longer - and it all depends on how fast the OP needs to move it.

#4 ·
oneounceload said:
Don't forget that they are discontinued and not supported by Ruger any longer - and it all depends on how fast the OP needs to move it.
Not in a rush, selling to thin the herd to keep the peace on the homefront. Plenty of classic O/U's on the market that are no longer supported by the manufacturer but still are considered valuable so that should not affect price.

#5 ·
Unfortunately, the Red Labels don't have much of a market; especially the fixed choke versions. I've had one for sale for $850 over the past year with no takers...and, it is in very good condition. The RRL has a bad rep for reliability and, for being a "kicker." My 20-ga has been very reliable and I don't think it has heavy recoil, but it seems to suffer from the bad rep anyway.

#7 ·
Sobrepuesta said:
b5davis said:
Plenty of classic O/U's on the market that are no longer supported by the manufacturer but still are considered valuable so that should not affect price.
Except Red Labels are neither classic nor considered valuable.
+1..... {hs#

#11 ·
Not sure why this got dredged up, but since it is I will relate my recent experience. Gun was a first year Red Label, serial number under 2000, 26" barrels, fixed IC and MOD, with original box and paper work. Gun was in excellent condition and always reliable for me, but retired from grouse hunting use for many, many years.
Looking at prices on GB and knowing the reputation I figured I might get 1K and have to screw around with shipping, but my wife suggested leaving it at Cole's on consignment when were there in September.
They had it about 6 weeks and recently sent me a check for $1200 after their selling fee, yes I'm smiling. :)

#12 ·
Based on Gunbroker SOLD prices, the 20 gauge RRL like yours are going from $985 for one with a great deal of wear showing to about $1,375 without the box. To get the final price you would need to add in shipping and tax which if sold at $1,200 would be about $135. Again, these are all No Reserve sold prices, not "asking" prices.

The original box adds about $400 to the sale price. Good luck with your sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.