ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 Question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

New guy here. I'm getting into shooting skeet and would like to use my 1100. However, it has a Hastings replacement barrel which is a problem for two reasons; first of all, it won't eject the lighter loads. It has a single gas port where the original barrel would have two.
If I opened up that single port to equal the area of the two holes in an original barrel would that solve it? Secondly, since it's a replacement barrel I don't have the serial number information that would have been on the original barrel. Consequently, I can't determine anything about the gun. There is a number (4508V) on the receiver. Can anything be determined by this? I believe it to be a higher grade gun as it has very nice wood, plenty of scroll work and cut checkering on the fore end - however the stock is pressed checkering which didn't seem typical.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 Question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

joerberg wrote:
Hello,

New guy here. I'm getting into shooting skeet and would like to use my 1100. However, it has a Hastings replacement barrel which is a problem for two reasons; first of all, it won't eject the lighter loads. It has a single gas port where the original barrel would have two.
If I opened up that single port to equal the area of the two holes in an original barrel would that solve it? Secondly, since it's a replacement barrel I don't have the serial number information that would have been on the original barrel. Consequently, I can't determine anything about the gun. There is a number (4508V) on the receiver. Can anything be determined by this? I believe it to be a higher grade gun as it has very nice wood, plenty of scroll work and cut checkering on the fore end - however the stock is pressed checkering which didn't seem typical.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

It sounds like you have a barrel that is made for 3" magnum loads. That's why it won't eject 2 3/4" target loads.

Yes, you could open up that one gas port to make the 2 3/4" loads work in your gun, but if you later used the same barrel on your gun (or any gun) with 3" magnum loads, the extra pounding from the bolt could cause premature parts breakage.

I believe that the number on the receiver is likely the serial number of the gun. The barrel is probably an after-market barrel.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Found these notes on 1100 gas ports, hope they help

for reference, skeet ports are supposed to be 0.086", and a standard 1100 field or trap ports are supposed to be 0.079". Magnum should be 0.073".

Note that standard field and skeet guns have two ports, magnum guns only have one port.

My wife has an LT20 magnum with 28" barrel, it would not function properly with light target loads, I opened up the single port to .093" and it now cycles the target loads. As Ulysses mentioned using magnum loads after making this modification will likely cause premature wear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

If you have the SN, AND anybody's still working in Remington Customer Service (Remington assets have been sold to other companies), a simple phone request with the SN should give you the DOM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Newbie here,just found a rem.1100 competition 30"bárrel,wood stock,trap,unfurled,beautiful gun,what's it worth?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Previous post should say unfired