It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-war Browning Auto-5
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Browning that was given to me recently. A pre-war (I think ) auto-5...Serial 3088 M..any help on valuation?

Post subject: Re: Pre-war Browning Auto-5
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:33 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

If the serial number is 3088, the gun was made in early 1925.

As to the value of your gun, my crystal ball is a bit cloudy this afternoon and I need to know what gauge your gun is. Also, what is the chamber legnth,choke,barrel legnth,grade,barrel type,location of the serial number,location of the safety,type of stock,any modifications,all markings and printing on the gun and (most important) the condition.

Your gun could be worth from $75 to $2500 but it is most likely in the $200 to $300 range.

Bye the way, if the serial number is on the left side of the receiver,you do not have a Belgium Browning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:41 pm 
Field Grade

"If the serial number is 3088, the gun was made in early 1925."

With due respect, not necessarily. "3088M" would be indicative of a Standard Weight made in 1958. Somehow, I have a feeling this is a 1958 Browning Auto-5 Standard Weight in 12 Gauge, though I too have have no idea of the choke, rib (ventilated, solid, or lack thereof), barrel length, grade, or stock type. Choke is pretty easy to figure out if you have the code for it. They're on the rear left hand side of the barrel. That's as follows...

* is a full choke
*- is improved modified
** is modified
**- is improved cylinder
**$ is Skeet choke
*** is cylinder bored

Also, what's the barrel address on your gun? Some pictures would help, as well. And, if I am wrong and it's not a 1958 gun, a four-digit serial number, IIRC, would indicate manufacture around 1902. In that case, you'd have the safety mounted in front of the trigger guard. Or is yours mounted behind?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Dalkowski110 wrote:
"If the serial number is 3088, the gun was made in early 1925."

With due respect, not necessarily. "3088M" would be indicative of a Standard Weight made in 1958. Somehow, I have a feeling this is a 1958 Browning Auto-5 Standard Weight in 12 Gauge, though I too have have no idea of the choke, rib (ventilated, solid, or lack thereof), barrel length, grade, or stock type. Choke is pretty easy to figure out if you have the code for it. They're on the rear left hand side of the barrel. That's as follows...

* is a full choke
*- is improved modified
** is modified
**- is improved cylinder
**$ is Skeet choke
*** is cylinder bored

Also, what's the barrel address on your gun? Some pictures would help, as well. And, if I am wrong and it's not a 1958 gun, a four-digit serial number, IIRC, would indicate manufacture around 1902. In that case, you'd have the safety mounted in front of the trigger guard. Or is yours mounted behind?

I will have to look at the safety again..think it is in front but it is a 12, 28" mod(I think) smooth barrell will have to look. Exc condition. wood is perfect, no scratches. rear stock is similar to Weatherby Orion Pistol Grip. I have it in an off-site safe so I will be able to llok by Tue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:10 pm 
Utility Grade

A5guy wrote:
If the serial number is 3088, the gun was made in early 1925.

As to the value of your gun, my crystal ball is a bit cloudy this afternoon and I need to know what gauge your gun is. Also, what is the chamber legnth,choke,barrel legnth,grade,barrel type,location of the serial number,location of the safety,type of stock,any modifications,all markings and printing on the gun and (most important) the condition.

Your gun could be worth from $75 to $2500 but it is most likely in the $200 to $300 range.

Bye the way, if the serial number is on the left side of the receiver,you do not have a Belgium Browning.

I will get all of the info for you. Def Belgium made. Serial is under shell feed. stamped belgium. will get some pics for you guys on Monday

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:44 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Dalkowski is correct. I missed the "M". The gun should have a blued trigger instead of a gold plated one if it it a Standardweight. If it has a pistol grip,it is not a pre WWII gun.

These are the least desirable of all the A5's but the value should be in the $250 range. Very sturdy guns that will last a lifetime and more.