It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adjustable choke on muzzleloader??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Has anyone ever put a poli-choke on their muzzle loading shotgun?It would seem to me to solve the problem of loading past a tight choke.In addition,it would allow the shooter to use the gun in a wide range of hunting situations.If this be heresy,be gentle with me.

Post subject: re: Adjustable choke on muzzleloader??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:04 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I doubt that a poly-choke would work well on a M/L shotgun. Black powder makes a whole lot of "crud" and I expect the fouling would "foul up the works", so to speak.

I have seen many M/L shotguns with choke tubes and they get cruddy much quicker than modern guns.

Post subject: Re: Adjustable choke on muzzleloader??
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

Hey not a bad idea! You open the choke for loading then close it for the degree of choke you want. As far as cleaning, so it's a extra part, soap and water makes short work of powder fouling. Just make sure every thing is oiled well when putting it back into the safe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tal is right. It soon wouldn't "adjust" at all!

It's not hard to get anything "you need" for a good load through any choke constriction, once you learn how.

And to find out what you need, look up old V. M. Starr's loads. (Of course he used jugchokes, but it applies to all.)

The likely problem here, is that you are trying to use more, (or different components), than you actually need to.

Remember which party got us to where we are, (along with too many RINOs)!
VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:40 am 
Utility Grade

I used Black MZ last dove season and the small amount of fouling that it left might make it a suitable propellant. I will give it a try and then we will find out for real. I heard alot of bad stuff about this powder being posted by keyboard experts who probably never fired a m/l of any sort. Turns out to be easy to light off & same power as 2f black. Also, never saw any sign of a frequently mentioned "killer crud ring from hell".

So, having obtained a gun threaded for Rem-chokes, plan on trying it out with one of the Rem-choke II's. I can always use it in my 1100 if it doesn't work!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:25 am 
Crown Grade

LOTS of anti-seize on those choke threads............................

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Newtire wrote:
I used Black MZ last dove season and the small amount of fouling that it left might make it a suitable propellant. I will give it a try and then we will find out for real. I heard alot of bad stuff about this powder being posted by keyboard experts who probably never fired a m/l of any sort. Turns out to be easy to light off & same power as 2f black. Also, never saw any sign of a frequently mentioned "killer crud ring from hell".

Do you realize you're dragging up an old, dead post from 2008? :roll:

Black MZ is little more than American Pioneer: a horribly inconsistent propellant. It looks like gravel and gives wildly erratic velocities. It also aggressively attacks brass.

The crud ring you are dreaming about is an issue with Hodgdon Triple Se7en, not Black MZ. Alliant provides no data for muzzleloading shotgun use, nor does American Pioneer.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have always been amazed by the so-called difficulty of loading a less than "open" choked muzzle loader. Even a full choke is just not that hard!
Just make sure that your wads are thin enough to start edgewise and then turn them flatwise, after they are inside the muzzle.

Split thick wads and reassemble them inside the muzzle, build up what ever thickness you need, (much less than what you think).

And forget about substitutes, NOTHING beats real black powder!

Remember which party got us to where we are, (along with too many RINOs)!
VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:01 pm 
Utility Grade

I'd worry less about cleaning the choke than I would about the choke being rendered incapable of adjustment after about 8 shots.

Post subject: Re: re: Adjustable choke on muzzleloader??
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

Tal/IL wrote:
I doubt that a poly-choke would work well on a M/L shotgun. Black powder makes a whole lot of "crud" and I expect the fouling would "foul up the works", so to speak.

I have seen many M/L shotguns with choke tubes and they get cruddy much quicker than modern guns.

Therein lies the problem, all the residue from burning The holy Black Powder.

Now,, it MIGHT stay working if it was always assembled slathered full, FULL I say, of Anti-Seize Compound, ALWAYS I say................... That would keep the residue out of the adjustment thread areas................................