CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A5 buck special light twelve
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a browning a5 light twelve buck special - it's a belgium gun made in the late 60's, 23 1/2 inch barrel, it's in nice shape probable 90% with wear around the edges looks like from storage and not from use, the guy that i got it from only shot it once the stored it.

do the buck specials bring more that the typical a5's and what is the approximate value.

thank you,

Scott

Post subject: re: Browning A5 buck special light twelve
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:51 pm 
Crown Grade

$450.00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:37 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

These are very popular in my area. $500 to $650 for a 90% gun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:52 am 
Field Grade

Scotraid- you should be up over $500 without a problem on that one. Those guns are a big hit in my neck of the woods... southern Erie County, NY. Deer hunters cannot use rifles in Erie County, and in the southern half of the county there's some great deer huntin'. Cattaragus and Alleghany counties allow rifles for about 3 years now, and all those hunters dropped their slug guns and bought rifles,so once the bump in the market levels off, your a5 will be back in it.

I see a lot of guys running for a rifle with the new law, yet they hunt in heavy woods/ thick brush and only have 50 yard shots. A good old deer slug is fine in these conditions.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

The deer barrel does not attract a premium. IMO it is a deduct but I am prejudiced as I prefer wing shootig anyway.

Here is an actual gun, a mid sixties Light Twelve from a recent auction with 450 "views" and 24 bids:

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listin ... =889565291

The final price?

$350

This auction ended 3 days ago. This is an actual purchase. Keep your eyes open as you don't have to pay a premium if you do your homework. There are more of these for sale than there are people looking to buy them.

Sure this is a great price and the other prices quoted by two very knowledable posters are not out of line, but there better deals available for those that put in the effort and are patient.

Class dismissed.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

that looks like a nice gun - do you think that because the vintage of the gun does not match the modern barrel it effected the price? also i read somewhere that after a point the barrels did not match the gun with numbers but lettering on the barrel can date it to the time period of the gun. This seems odd to me becuase it seems that all other makes of guns place such a high value on matching numbers.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:47 pm 
Crown Grade

The factory stopped numbering the barrels to the guns in the mid 1950's. That gun is a shooter, not a collector so the Japanese barrel is not a big deal.

Jeff