It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ejectors into Extractors-Citori, Cynergy & BT-99(w/pics)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:50 am 
Limited Edition

I recently sold my 725 Sporting and bought a 20 gauge Citori Lightning. I saved the 1911 FP springs from the 725 and converted the Lightning to extract only.

When I reinstalled the original springs in the 725 before I sold it, I noticed the tool I had made was prone to slipping with the stronger springs. If you grind a small cup (I used a Dremel) at the base of the slot in the screwdriver blade as shown below, it holds the cone on the spring guide rod firmly at the base of the slot and prevents slipping.

It's much easier to lever the original springs out with the ejectors in the "tripped" position, installing the rods with the 1911 springs in place is a fingertip job, not much effort required.

Sean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Question for the 725 folks. I am very interested in doing this and I've seen those who chose the Wolff Firing Pin Spring 1911 Extra Power over the brownells link in the OP (which are now Wilson combat extra power. After using these are they both pretty much the same or has one functioned better for anybody out there? Just curious before I order them up.

Thanks for the Great thread with lots of info and pics!

Ryan

https://www.southerntrust.com/white-marsh/ryan-lowry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It really doesn't matter which 1911 spring you use. They are all close enough to work with this mod.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kind of what I figured. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:08 am 
Limited Edition

I'm not sure which ones I have, they needed to be shortened by a couple coils to work well with my 725. After doing that, they would occasionally pop a shell clear of the barrels, maybe one in 500.
The same two springs in my 20 gauge Citori don't seem as strong, they haven't popped a shell clear yet. Might be shorter ejector hammers on the smaller frame.
If you're inclined, you can try making softer ejector springs for your gun. I did that with an old SKB 500 I have using 0.017" spring wire wound around a coat hanger for a mandrel. Guitar wire works too, I'm told. Mine work just fine. I have a video of the process, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just changed out the original springs in my 725 for the Wolff extra power springs. Everything went fairly smoothly with the exception of getting the assembly back in the forestock. Like Chilly I had to use the screws to carefully pull it into position but it was a knuckle biter worrying about chipping off a corner of the wood where things had to rotate into place. It was really tight.
Now I need to shoot it and see how it works:-))
Thanks for all the instructions and tips, really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:51 am 
Field Grade

I also did the conversion about a month ago. It was not difficult but I am a little disappointed that the shells do not lift out at all; All that I read lead me to believe the shells would "lift" about 1/2" or so. Not the case with my Browning Special Sporting. 1992 original. Great Clay's Gun!

( Still better than flying six feet or so )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:03 pm 
Limited Edition

That's odd.. it is based on a Citori, right? The only thing I can think of is the springs are too weak to drive the hammers hard enough to fully raise the empties. All my guns pop them up to the full travel of the ejector plates. They actually "eject", but not enough to clear the barrels.
The ejector hammers still do their thing, just with less authority.
You should be able to pull the ejector plates out to their full travel easily.
If they are sticky, the 1911 springs may not have enough power to move them and the empty hulls.
I'll try to get a video of the way mine works in the next few days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:14 pm 
Field Grade

Chilly, Yes Citori Special Sporting Clays edition....... Bought the spring from Brownells just like the sticky said. I still like it better that full "ejection".... :D

Maybe there is a little stiffer spring I can try..............

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Or, if you're ambitious you can make your own. This is what I did with the springs to convert my SKB to extract only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-IhCVB9qEc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Springs ordered today. Looking forward to moving to extractors.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well it took awhile to try my 725 after making the change to the Wolff extra power springs, but they work great! The shells pop out just far enough to be easily grabbed (even with gloves), but never eject out of the gun. Really nice to be able to just open the gun without having to play catch.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Took the 725 out for a test drive with the spring conversion today and it worked like a charm. Thanks again for the informative thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Great tip. I have been looking at a new Citori 725 but I prefer extractors. Looks like I found my solution.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:26 pm 
Field Grade

bojo wrote:
Take all the screws out ofthe forearm iron. I would mark them with a marker to locate how tight they were put in at the factory. From the inside push the take down lever out carefully with a piece of a paint stick using just (2) screw holes; not the one closest to the hinge. This one has a screw insert in the forearm. Push lever assembly out carefully and evenly until it clears the wood.

Once you have the lever out. Turn it over on a rag or very soft surface; the hole for the lever should face up to you. Now take the paint stick and gently push the hineg assembly; it comes out on an ANGLE keep pushing until it begins to clear the wood- the Browning logo will move away from the wood. It will then break free.

If it doesn't pull out you have to push it out from the lever hole.

Let me know whether the ejector pin walks at the end of 100 rounds.

This wise advice was what FINALLY enable me to remove the iron.

I tried a few times to remove the iron, but was never successful. I didn't want to damage the wood, so I gave up. Earlier this morning I decided to try again and so, I re-read this post.

I used wooden dowels to push out the locking lever. I cut them to identical length and inserted both, at the same time, into the screw holes that hold in the lever. Then, I turned the wood over, so the lever was facing UP. A few taps with a rubber mallet on each side of the lever free'd up the lever assembly and it came right out.

Inserting the paint stick through the lever hole opening in the wood (from the outside) and tapping very lightly with the mallet freed up the iron assembly.

F I N A L L Y ! ! !

Removing the original springs was no problem. But, like others, I did have to cut 2 coils off the new springs to fit them in place.

I reassembled everything and took it out to the range for test drive. It worked wonderful. I shot 150 rounds (including a squad of doubles) without incident. And, my ejector pins did not budge.

Thanks to "Rastoff" for this thread and thanks to "bojo" for clarifying how to get the iron out of the wood on the 725.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for the instructions. I am long time 1911 fan so I had a few firing pin springs around. 10 minutes and the job was done. The results: exactly what I wanted. My XS Special is used exclusively for Skeet and Sporting Clays/Five stand. Extractors are the bees knees.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am a 1911 fan and had a few firing pin springs readily available so I performed the surgery on my XS Special. The instructions are excellent, the process took about 15 minutes because I was very deliberate at each step. The extractors work perfectly and I very much like the reversible procedure, thank you for posting the instructions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:02 pm 
Field Grade

Not to intentionally necro an old thread but just wanted to share my thanks for this info. I have a 725 trap and I've sheered a couple of ejector retaining screws. The force of the factory ejector springs I guess is just too much for the soft metal screws/pins they use to retain the top half of the ejectors. This mod eases the pain on those retaining bits.

I also snapped the takedown lever spring. Good grief. So I was gonna have to tear into the forearm sooner or later -- why not replace the lever spring and try this mod in one go.

Taking the takedown lever iron out was quick. After removing the two screws holding it to the wood, flip the wood over so the lever side is down. But raise the wood at both ends a 1/4" or so. (I used two small piles of cleaning patch cloths haha.) Using a fat, flat-tipped punch, ever-so-gently tap, through the screw holes (alternating holes every other tap or so), to knock the iron out of the wood. Cake.

As for the ejector spring assembly, I removed the remaining screw and just put the forearm back on the gun (minus the takedown lever iron still of course). It fits snug enough still that when going to remove the forearm again every-so-gently, the wood separated from the iron easily. Of course the ejector spring iron assembly is then removed form the gun.

I have a pair of Benelli M2 20ga field guns I haven't shot in some time. I figured until the 1911 springs show up, why not try those M2 firing pin springs. They are a little long but work just dandy for the short-term until the other springs arrive. If I sheer another retaining screw now I'm gonna have to question Browning's materials choices.

Cheers & happy 2017!

Keith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stickied threads are not considered zombie threads. I'm glad it helped you out.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Did this, worked great, thanks!

I can't remember anyone mentioning this, but it looked to me as though the Wilson extra power springs had a slight taper. Prolly doesn't matter, but I put the thinner ends towards the ejector hammers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next