It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ejectors into Extractors-Citori, Cynergy & BT-99(w/pics)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:37 pm 
Limited Edition

This pic shows the forearm iron removed, the right side ejector hammer in the tripped position, and the end of the screwdriver I modified to remove the ejector spring. The original and replacement springs as well as the spring guide rod are shown in the background.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

You can pick up a set of cheapo hollow ground screwdriver set (bits and driver) at Harbor Freight for under $10. The metal may give, but I would rather have the bit give then shear the head off of a screw.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:48 pm 
Field Grade

Just did this mod on my Older BT-99 Plus, Fairly easy to do, works Awesome!

Muller Chokes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I made a modification which make the spring changing easier on the Citori. Fire both barrels using spent shells or dummies. Open the action and then remove the forearm. This removes the spring tension. Removing and anchoring forearm bracket, the spring and ejector hammer spring guide can easily be remove with needle nose pliers. Make sure to hold the spring and guide with finger and thumb while removal.
Unfortunately the spring change did not work for me. The ejectors usually only move as far as in the picture for the top barrel (no spring). So I am thinking about buying a pair of ejector springs and cut off coils or finding a compression spring somewhere between the two.
Any suggestions appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Proud new owner of a late model Citori here. I don't need the shells lifted very far so I think I would be happy enough with simply removing the ejector springs. My question is what to do with the little rods inside the spring? It may be obvious once I get in there, but I'd like to know beforehand. Do the rods go back in place? Or are the springs and rods both removed? Any risks running the gun without springs?

Thank you all for your help!

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:05 pm 
Utility Grade

The springs hold the rods in place against the hammers. The rods have no way of being held in position once the springs are removed.
I found the easies way to remove springs is to release the hammers, If you dry fire both barrel (remember citori has inertia triggers, the second trigger need to be set by bumping the gun butt or switching barrel selector) and open the action and carefully remove the forearm the hammers will be released. You can also release the hammers by releasing the ejector sears (part no. 23). The sears are held in place by the pin to be remove in the original post. This takes the enough press off the spring that they can be remove with needle nose pliers. Remember to hold the spring/rod with thumb and finger. If you want you can do this without removing forearm bracket, but be careful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:51 am 
Limited Edition

I'm not sure if that'll cause problems or not (running without any springs). My concern would be the loose hammers with nothing to positively locate them. My gun is a 725, slightly different. If you can get a set of 1911 springs without too much trouble, that's the path I'd take. If you shoot with gloves, picking shells off the extractors is a nuisance on every shot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

zaphor wrote:
Unfortunately the spring change did not work for me. The ejectors usually only move as far as in the picture for the top barrel (no spring).
Did you press the trigger before opening the gun? This would account for the ejector not lifting the shell very far. Remember, the ejector hammer won't fire unless the trigger has been pressed.

oldeskooldave wrote:
My question is what to do with the little rods inside the spring?
You will have to take them out. Without the spring, they would just flop around inside the forearm and cause problems. I'm not sure how the ejector hammers will fare without any tension on them.

zaphor wrote:
(remember citori has inertia triggers, the second trigger need to be set by bumping the gun butt or switching barrel selector)
You don't have to bump it or move the selector. Just turning the safety on and back off will select the second barrel.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Rastoff wrote:

zaphor wrote:
(remember citori has inertia triggers, the second trigger need to be set by bumping the gun butt or switching barrel selector)
You don't have to bump it or move the selector. Just turning the safety on and back off will select the second barrel.

That's something I didn't know.. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I have done this modification to my 12 and 20 ga. Citori's.
I didn't slot a screw driver as above but slotted slip joint
pliers for the spring compression.

Put the new springs in by hand.

Works great. Thanks for the idea!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:33 am 
Field Grade

Excellent info. I used it to convert my Citori XT. I ordered the 1911 springs but before they arrived was fooling around with the ejector mechanism. I accidentally popped out the springs and my fingers weren't strong enough to get them back in.

Looked through my parts bin and found the Browning Buckmark Pistol Recoil spring fits too. You can get both extractor springs from one recoil spring. I installed in on my XT and it works great. When the 1911 springs came in did my wifes XT with them.

The Buckmark spring is slightly stiffer than the 1911 spring but still extracts instead of ejecting. If you own a 1911 buy the 1911 springs for dual purpose parts. If you have Buckmark pistols then the Buckmark spring can be bought to also serve dual purpose. (I always like to keep spare parts around especially springs.)

BPS Trap
A5 (Belgian Light)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:34 am 
Field Grade

1911 versus Buckmark Recoil Spring Observations/Comparisons.

I have the 1911 springs in my wifes Citory. Yesterday one of her barrels quit lifting the spent shell. I believe the problem is the longer 1911 spring buckled on the shaft and was contacting the forarm preventing the ejector hammer from cocking. I rotated the spring on the shaft and it now has the buckled part facing away from the forarm and the ejector hammer is able to cock again.

The Buckmark spring is stronger. There is no buckle when it is installed. It has to be cut off to roughly the length of the shaft flange to the end of the shaft. If too long the shells fall out when the gun is opened. My shotgun was new when I did the installation and it worked fine as an extractor initially. Then it developed more spring and started causing the shells to fall out. It was a light enough ejection that all I had to do was hold the barrel vertical and they would drop back down. I've since cut the springs shorter to the length specified above.

Cost comparison. Buckmark spring and 1911 spring cost the same but you get both replacement springs from one Buckmark spring. Cost of both is so low I'd recommend buying both to see which one you find works the best for you. I'm still unsure which we will end up with in both guns or if they both work equally so don't bother with more changes.

BPS Trap
A5 (Belgian Light)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:06 pm 
Field Grade

TyrVater wrote:

I have the 1911 springs in my wifes Citory. Yesterday one of her barrels quit lifting the spent shell. I believe the problem is the longer 1911 spring buckled on the shaft and was contacting the forarm preventing the ejector hammer from cocking. I rotated the spring on the shaft and it now has the buckled part facing away from the forarm and the ejector hammer is able to cock again.

The Buckmark spring is stronger. There is no buckle when it is installed. It has to be cut off to roughly the length of the shaft flange to the end of the shaft. If too long the shells fall out when the gun is opened. My shotgun was new when I did the installation and it worked fine as an extractor initially. Then it developed more spring and started causing the shells to fall out. It was a light enough ejection that all I had to do was hold the barrel vertical and they would drop back down. I've since cut the springs shorter to the length specified above.

Cost comparison. Buckmark spring and 1911 spring cost the same but you get both replacement springs from one Buckmark spring. Cost of both is so low I'd recommend buying both to see which one you find works the best for you. I'm still unsure which we will end up with in both guns or if they both work equally so don't bother with more changes.

Would this be the correct Buck Mark spring? http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/ ... 3=Browning

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:43 am 
Field Grade

mh454 wrote:
TyrVater wrote:

Would this be the correct Buck Mark spring? http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/ ... 3=Browning

Thanks!

No that appears to be a firing pin spring. The spring is the "Recoil Spring Buck Mark Rifel, Pistol". It's the spring that fits over the recoil guide rod. I ordered mine from Midway USA and it's shown there with Browning "# B5150481" and sells for $2.99.

They are currently out of stock but suppose to be back in stock 17th this month. I have three currently on back order since I used my last one for my wife's Citori and want to keep spares for my pistols.

Brownells might have them in stock. You can cut both springs out of one recoil spring but I'd order extra in case something goes wrong cutting it down.

I set the length on mine by putting it on the ejector rod and cutting off all of the spring protruding beyond the end of the rod with a set of wire cutters.

BPS Trap
A5 (Belgian Light)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:15 pm 
Field Grade

TyrVater wrote:
No that appears to be a firing pin spring. The spring is the "Recoil Spring Buck Mark Rifel, Pistol". It's the spring that fits over the recoil guide rod. I ordered mine from Midway USA and it's shown there with Browning "# B5150481" and sells for $2.99.

They are currently out of stock but suppose to be back in stock 17th this month. I have three currently on back order since I used my last one for my wife's Citori and want to keep spares for my pistols.

Brownells might have them in stock. You can cut both springs out of one recoil spring but I'd order extra in case something goes wrong cutting it down.

I set the length on mine by putting it on the ejector rod and cutting off all of the spring protruding beyond the end of the rod with a set of wire cutters.

Thanks for the part number and information. Going to order two of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

I may have missed it somewhere in this 12 page thread.
Can you post the Cynergy break open tension solution please.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

barrelslime wrote:
Can you post the Cynergy break open tension solution please.

Shoot me an email: rastoff1@gmail.com Include your screen name so I know who you are.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just converted my Citori to extractors. The 1911 firing pin return springs were called Extra Power. First I cut off two coils and the gun was still kicking out the shells. After I cut off one more coil the shells were lifted nicely the way I wanted it.

Thanks Rastoff for sharing that idea. :D

Member of:
Algoma Rod and Gun Club, Delta Waterfowl and NFA.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:40 pm 

Here's a link to another very good post for cleaning O/U's. Hopefully it's not already linked here.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=89866

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I just removed the ejector sears on my Cynergy Classic Sporting as suggested at the top of this thread. It took me less than 5 minutes. Now my shotgun extracts perfectly.

Many thanks to the original poster and to all who have contributed to this thread.

Best regards,

Jesse

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next