CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strange Maxus Problem - Trigger locking up
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:50 pm 
Utility Grade

I just got a browning maxus the other day and brought it out to the field to shoot it today.

While out I noticed the trigger was locking up occasionally on the second shot, as in the trigger wouldn't budge at all. After a few seconds I could then pull the trigger just fine without doing anything to the gun. Again this would only happen once every few times.

When I got the gun I gave it a decent cleaning. I tried oiling the trigger group but that didn't seem to help. Only thing I have not done is pull the bolt.

I'm thinking it might have too much factory oil on the bolt / trigger group but I can't think of anything else. I don't want to have to send it back to browning after only having it for a few days :-(

Anyone have some suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Strange Maxus Problem - Trigger locking up
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:17 pm 
Field Grade

I have the same problem. check the safety button. make sure the safety is pushed all the way to off safe. I found the slightest movement to safe locks the trigger . hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Other than the trigger issue. Have ya'll had any other issues with the Maxus? Also how do you like the way it shoots?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:48 pm 
Field Grade

no other problems. like it a lot. much better then beretta. easier to clean and to take apart. very soft shooting.almost the same as my 625 with a G2 square stock conversion (recoil reducer ).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:57 pm 
Utility Grade

mholting wrote:
I have the same problem. check the safety button. make sure the safety is pushed all the way to off safe. I found the slightest movement to safe locks the trigger . hope this helps.

Hmm I'll have to keep shooting it and see if that's the problem. I was wearing thick gloves, but that wouldn't explain why I could get the second shot off after a few seconds.

Thanks for the response!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:31 am 

GoodOmens wrote:
mholting wrote:

Hmm I'll have to keep shooting it and see if that's the problem. I was wearing thick gloves, but that wouldn't explain why I could get the second shot off after a few seconds.

Thanks for the response!

It could be the answer, if you gloved finger maintained contact with the trigger and brought the interrupter into play. See if you can make it do that without a glove on.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You may be "trapping" the trigger, i.e. not fully releasing it after the first shot. Since this always happens on the second shot and since the problem always cures itself by simply releasing the trigger and waiting a moment, then that's a pretty sure sign that you are trapping the trigger.

If it were a safety related problem, then I would think that you would have to move the safety in some way in order for the gun to fire the second shot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:15 pm 
Field Grade

Ulysses wrote:
You may be "trapping" the trigger, i.e. not fully releasing it after the first shot. Since this always happens on the second shot and since the problem always cures itself by simply releasing the trigger and waiting a moment, then that's a pretty sure sign that you are trapping the trigger.

If it were a safety related problem, then I would think that you would have to move the safety in some way in order for the gun to fire the second shot.

Thats Your problem right there. With gloves Your not letting the trigger reset forward.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

My shooting buddy struggled with this same issue on his Maxus. It started on the skeet range this summer. He wasn't releasing the trigger enough after the first shot and he wasn't getting off the 2nd shot. It was a little troubling to me because he's a very experienced shooter and I've NEVER seen this happen to him shooting his other semiautos. (He has 18 shotguns and is good with most of them). He shrugged it off and has trained himself to let up on the trigger on his Maxus.

My take is that this is an issue with the Maxus. At least for some?? For my buddy it wasn't related to gloves. This happened quite a bit on the skeet and sporting clays range. I told him he should send it back to Browning. He shoots Browning A5's, Rem 1187's, Rem. 11's, SKB OU's and SxS's, and I've never seen this happen to him with any gun other than the Maxus.

I've been wondering if this would surface in a forum like this. Now it has.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:51 am 
Tournament Grade

I have shot just under 300 rounds in my MAXUS. About 1/2 have been shot with
gloves on crow hunting. I have had zero problems with trigger.

TT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:11 am 

Trigger-Time wrote:

TT

Good for you, some are not that graceful or have gloves that increase the chances of the problem.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Curly-Nohair wrote:
Trigger-Time wrote:

TT

Good for you, some are not that graceful or have gloves that increase the chances of the problem.

I must be one of the "graceful" ones too. :lol: I have countless rounds through my Maxus with no problems of the trigger hanging up. I have worn gloves a few times, but I use thin mechanic style gloves which give a good feel of the trigger and let me blow my goose call. My one lone issue with the Maxus, and it's a small one, is that the safety slides almost to easily. Especially with it being a rear mounted safety where just reaching for your trigger could disengage it. Of course, you should never reach for the trigger unless you are shooting at something, but I just saying it could be a problem for some. Aside from that, I love my Maxus. I have shot it in temps as low a 10 degrees and in conditions where I have had water rolling out of the action without a single misfire or jam. It is far easier to clean then my Beretta 391 and a pure joy to shoot. Barring any reliability issues, the Maxus will be my main shotgun. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

My buddy has gotten past his trigger issue with some concentrated effort, but I can assure you he's no beginner with a shotgun. I've been shooting skeet, sporting, and hunting with him for many years. If he were a rank amateur I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought.

I was just brought it up because I thought it was very odd at the time and I wondered if this issue would surface with other Maxus owners.

I am betting it will be mentioned again by someone at some point. If yours works for you, great! The Maxus seems to be a fine shotgun so far. I personally believe that there must be a slight issue with this on SOME of the guns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's quite possible that when Browning designed the new "Lightning Trigger System" on the Maxus, they may have used a lighter trigger return spring to make the trigger pull lighter and more crisp. In so doing, they may have also inadvertantly made it easier for shooters to "trap" the trigger.

A simple cure would seem to be a stronger trigger return spring, but then that would make the trigger pull a bit harder. I guess it depends on what you place the most emphasis on and how you plan to use the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:04 pm 
Limited Edition

DE wrote:
My buddy has gotten past his trigger issue with some concentrated effort, but I can assure you he's no beginner with a shotgun. I've been shooting skeet, sporting, and hunting with him for many years. If he were a rank amateur I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought.

I was just brought it up because I thought it was very odd at the time and I wondered if this issue would surface with other Maxus owners.

I am betting it will be mentioned again by someone at some point. If yours works for you, great! The Maxus seems to be a fine shotgun so far. I personally believe that there must be a slight issue with this on SOME of the guns.

I don't doubt that your buddy had problems at all, and I am glad that he was able to figure how to work past it. It is foolish to think that every Maxus made is going to be trouble free. This post does make me wonder if in Browning's effort to get a faster lockup time, that the Maxus design might be more prone to trigger trapping. Being a new gun, it might be be awhile before all the issues are known. I personally wanted to wait to see how the Maxus did in real world conditions before buying one. But when my 391 had to be sent back for factory service at the beginning of waterfowl season, I had to get another gun. The early reports on the Maxus have been very good, so I went ahead and got it. It may take a few years before any real problem trends emerge, but only time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Don’t know if this will help

I went out and shot 10 shells and tried to get trigger to lockup with
no luck. I then pulled trigger group out of mine, I could not get it lockup.
Until I pushed the safety ½ off (en·gaged) and pulled trigger then it would lockup every time.
Hammer releases from sear and moves a little, I guess a disconnect
catches hammer but for the life of me I can’t see the disconnect.
Safety also locks up I have to reset hammer onto sear to get safety to move.
It takes very little forward movement for trigger to reset. It dose seem
to have a light trigger return spring. I tried same thing on 1100, on it safety
is on or off (how it should be).

The speed of the locking time of the lighting trigger is something I don't think I will ever know is there. Mine dose have about the best trigger I have ever fired on an factory semi-auto shotgun. It has very little creep and breaks clean.

If you pull your trigger group and pull trigger make sure you put
your thumb on hammer to keep it from flying forward. I don’t know
if it would cause any damage but I don’t think it would be a good idea
to let hammer slam forward on its own.

TT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:07 am 
Limited Edition

I preface this as a 30 year+ Browning user and an avid fan of all their artilary. Here is my experience with the Maxus. I purchased mine in mid October and quickly found after taking it to the pattering board that the rib was mounted crooked on the barrel. One call to the service dept landed me a call tag that ended up in a replacement,{great}. Upon recieving my second Maxus intial cleaning was performed and it was off to shoot some winter doves. I immedeatly had trigger problems in that the after the intial shot I could not fire the second and would have to stroke the trigger several times to get it to fire. As all you maxus owners know by now the barrels of these guns have great lock-up in the reciever, well upon revieving my third one, removing it from the box to assemble when I stuck the barrel into the reciever it just flopped in my immediate response was wow that's strange. When I installed the forearm I could hold the barrel @ about mid way and twist it in the reciever with my hand and it would move back and forth the width of the rib. Obviously extreme tolerance where the barrel pins into the reciever. Another call landed me a call tag and back to Browning it goes. I recieved a call yesterday that they wish to refund my full purchase price on the gun as a good gesture. I was really looking forward to the Maxus experience and was willing to perservere through as a faithful fan but I am over it at this point being season is nearing end and I still have no Maxus. I am thankful for the refund. Funny thing is that through this process dealing with the the guys in St Loius and asking some questions none of them shoot on a personal basis any of the newer Browning autos, They shoot A5's, Winchester SX1's and Old Citori's. What does that tell you???
This is my experince I thought I would share with my fellow shotgunners

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:43 am 
Tournament Grade

dovebuster,

I was all set to buy a Maxus but after reading your experiences I don't know.
Like you I am a Browning fan BUT these problems are inexcusable on a firearm that claims to be "the best there is."
A rib on crooked? Sounds like something made in China.
I may just look around for a good A-5 Stalker or another Citori

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:01 am 
Limited Edition

I was exspecting something really upscale in the way of a new auto from Browning and I really think the new gas piston and sleeve is a step foward but all the other features are a step backward from the Gold SL gun. Another issue try dry firing your Maxus then palcing the saftey on and resetting the bolt. If not done with quick force it will jam. This is due to the hook at the end of the hamer struts that will not clear the saftey plunger. I think Browning needs to consider some designs changes immedeatly.

Last edited by dovebuster on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:02 am 
Utility Grade

Well, to give you my evaluation of the Maxus, my hunting partner and I each bought a Maxus in late Sept. We hunted alot, at least 3 to 4 days per week since the first of October until mid Dec. Neither of us has run into any of the issues brought up here. Each of these guns have seen over 500 rounds without a misfire or hiccup. They have hunted in down pours and very cold temps, -10 degrees celcius. They have been exposed to mud while hunting ducks and geese on mud flats and corn fields. I was a Gold owner and these guns are, in my opinion every bit as good or better. Fast cycling, very little felt recoil, very easy to clean and dis-assemble, I know, I sound like a browning advertisement but this has been my experience to date.

Chessie