It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BPS locks up with fired shell in chamber and drops live shel
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am 
Limited Edition

Hunting this weekend had a couple issues with my BPS stalker. had one occasion where I fired a shell (Federal Prem. duck load) and needed two hands to shuck the gun after.

Second issue was on two occasions (and I think this may have happened more in the past) it dropped live shells from the gun. twice I was lined up perfectly for the third shot and got a click. Yep, might as well be shooting a Benelli!

So any thoughts on this? brought back two less mallards and two less black ducks and that's a bit much to take from a pump gun in cold weather. I love the look and feel of the gun and shoot pretty well with it but by golly dropping live shells into the water isn't terribly helpful.

Notably my buddies BPS locked up at the same time.

Post subject: Re: BPS locks up with fired shell in chamber and drops live
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:46 am 
Utility Grade

I was hunting wood ducks a few weeks ago with my BPS 20ga and got caught flat footed with a stuck shell after the first shot (got one duck at least). I had to remove the barrel to get it out. This was using Winchester Drylok Ammo, 3” 1oz #3, black box. I went home home and cleaned the snot out of the chamber, did the drill with 12ga bore brush and everything. Then took it to the range with the Drylok Ammo, Federal Blue Box, and Hevi Steel- all 3” mag steel. The Dryok got stuck 5 times out of 6 (had to pull the barrel) the Federal and Hevisteel functioned fine. So, all that to say, maybe the ammo? What kind were you guys using?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 am 
Limited Edition

I use Fed Premium (red box) and buddy uses black cloud.

I did just buy a fancy chamber brush to try the same fix.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:31 am 
Field Grade

I've had a similar problem with my 870 and those cheap federal value pack rounds. I think these manufacturers are skimping on the "brass" and it sometime expands and gets stuck in the chamber. I've only had this issue on my pump gun though, never my Citori or wife's Silver auto loader, I guess it could be the 870s less refined chamber :w

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:30 pm 
Limited Edition

The dropping of the shells from the magazine sounds like a timing issue ,or perhaps a sticky or bent shell latch or stop .

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Acme54321 wrote:
I've had a similar problem with my 870 and those cheap federal value pack rounds. I think these manufacturers are skimping on the "brass" and it sometime expands and gets stuck in the chamber. I've only had this issue on my pump gun though, never my Citori or wife's Silver auto loader, I guess it could be the 870s less refined chamber :w

It definitely seems like many brands are riding the line with regard to the case head integrity. Maybe it’s selective memory, but I don’t remember having stuck shells 20 some years ago.