Shotgun Forum banner

Browning Citori XS - Butt Stock Removal?

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rico1153 
#1 ·
I posted this question in the Gunsmithing & Restoration Forum, but wondered if this might be a better forum to get the info I need.

I have recently purchased a new Browning XS Skeet shotgun. It has an adjustable comb. I would like to remove the butt stock in order to 'degrease' and then oil the internal trigger mechanisms & firing pins. I have removed the butt stock before on my other Citori, however, the butt stock screw on this gun is unlike those I have seen on other models. It is not a screw, or hex head bolt. It appears to be a torx screw but, to be honest, as it is at the bottom of a 7-8" hole it is difficult to make out perfect details when seen with a pen light.

I have read in other posts that their Browning XS gun was supplied with a 'hex headed tool' for the removal of the stock. My gun came new in the box with what I thought were all the accessories but no such tool was included. Also, extra long hex wrenches do not fit into the opening, so I am pretty sure it is not a hex wrench that I need, as I mentioned above it appears to be a torx screw.

Can anyone provide any insight into what tool can be used for the removal ofthis screw and a source where I could purchase this tool? If it is a torx screw, anyone know which size?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a XS Skeet. The bolt is a Allen head. I can't remember the size. I think 3/16" or 5/16". I use a long T-handle allen you can get them at most any hardware store. You will need to take the pad off and you will need to take the adjustable comb off as the pins that the comb mounts with stick down into the hole that the thru bolt uses. I would also say that you may want to use some blue loctite (NOT RED) on the bolt as I have had the bolt loosen up on me.

#4 ·
500sks said:
I have a XS Skeet. The bolt is a Allen head. I can't remember the size. I think 3/16" or 5/16". I use a long T-handle allen you can get them at most any hardware store. You will need to take the pad off and you will need to take the adjustable comb off as the pins that the comb mounts with stick down into the hole that the thru bolt uses. I would also say that you may want to use some blue loctite (NOT RED) on the bolt as I have had the bolt loosen up on me.
A long 6mm allen key is what you need if it is not a straight slot style. The rest of the info is correct

#5 ·
The wrench is not just laying in the box with the rest of the stuff that your new gun came with. If you have the original Browning box, take another look. The hex key is usually located between the styrofoam and the outside of the cardboard box. There is a small pocket cast into the styrofoam, it's made to hold the wrench. Most people overlook it. I had the same question with my XS, my gunsmith told me to look between the styrofoam and the cardboard, lo and behold there it was. Then I dug out the box for my 525, it had one also!

#7 ·
FYI, wanted to let folks know that I finally was able to remove the butt stock. The tool was an allen wrench AND removing the adjustable comb at the same time (Duh!!!). Without removing the comb, you can insert the tool, but it interferes just enough to keep it from seating, so I thought i had the wrong size.

Just to let you know, I am fairly new to skeet shooting having been shooting for only a couple of months. I had been getting scores in the 16 - 17 range (pretty frustrated). The first two rounds with this gun shot a 22 and then a 21, really happy with the purchase.

#8 ·
Disregard about Allen wrench. The White Lightning has a slotted screw fitting. Now to find a wide blade wide tip screwdriver with a 7 1/2 inch shaft or a wide tip screwdriver bit that I can use my socket set to unscrew it.Does anybody know if the Citori White Lightning comes with the 6mm Allen wrench that was mentioned re the skeet models? And is the White Lightning wrench the same size? My Browning box is in the storage unit and not convenient to drag it out to see if I have that wrench. I need to pull the stock and clean/lube the innards.

Also, is that all there is to it - pull the butt plate, remove the Allen screw and the stock comes off? I hope it is that simple. Seems like it would be difficult getting the Allen screw back in place when reassembling - since it is so deeply set in the stock. Any tricks to this?

Thanks,
Jim

#9 ·
No, I don't believe the wrench is supplied with the gun. I've never seen a Browning supplied with the stock removal wrench. Some come with the Allen head bolt and some with the slot head bolt. Browning seems to have a random selection of these bolts and I've seen both on the same model of gun. You'll just have to look down there once the recoil pad is off.

Yes, it's that easy. Just remove the recoil pad and then remove the stock bolt. The stock to receiver fit should be snug so, it won't just fall off once the bolt is out, but it will come right off.

#10 ·
Mudpuppy,

For my other Browning Citori and Superposed, I just needed to find a good long shanked screwdriver to remove the butt stock screw, and the stock came off very easily. As noted, be sure to pull the butt stock straight back, do NOT twist, as you can easily chip the stock.

Rastoff,

When I contact Gamaliel (Where I ordered the shotgun) they said the gun 'came with the tool', and indeed there is a cut out in the styrofoam packaging for the tool (It is in a funky location on the side, outside of the main compartment so you do not see it immeidately). They sent me the wrench, no charge. So I think on at least some of the models, they do supply the allen wrench.

#12 ·
ECWis said:
The wrench is not just laying in the box with the rest of the stuff that your new gun came with. If you have the original Browning box, take another look. The hex key is usually located between the styrofoam and the outside of the cardboard box. There is a small pocket cast into the styrofoam, it's made to hold the wrench. Most people overlook it.
You saved my Butt! Bought a new Browining XT Gold and after 200 rounds the stock came a bit loose. Was about to go and try and find a long allan driver when I found this post, I looked and Lo and Behold there was the coveted wrench in the styrofoam right where you said to look!

Thank you!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.