It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choke tubes in a SUPERPOSED ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

My hunting partner is considering the purchase of a Browning Superposed, with the intent to have Briley add thin-wall choke tubes. I seem to remember a discussion on this topic that indicated many/most Superposed's have barrel walls too thin to facilitate after-market choke tubes.

Anyone have knowledge on this topic?

Has anyone here successfully added choke tubes to a Superposed?

Thanks in advance for any responses....

gold40

Post subject: Re: Choke tubes in a SUPERPOSED ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:04 am 
Presentation Grade

Briley or Teague can usually do it. I am told the minimum barrel wall thickness for Briley is .035, but they do not publish this and I can not confirm it. They are not cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:45 am 
Diamond Grade

I have seen a Super with choke tubes that had been installed. If a person wants choke tubes? I would just buy a Citori or Cynergy myself. Thin wall tubes will not allow shooting steel shot through them. I just cringe when I see a quality older gun that has been altered in this type of manner but to each his own.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:18 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

You might ask Mike Orlen. However, I am with Jiganator on this one I would never do it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:50 pm 
Utility Grade

In Australia about 15 years ago, our government decided we couldn't be trusted with autos any longer, so my super once again became my hunting gun. Then about 8 -10years ago lead shot was banned for duck hunting in Victoria. I had the choice of putting away the super or installing brileys.
I chose to install the choke tubes and have fired many thousands of shots since, best move I ever made. It may no longer be a collectors piece (it never really was), but I never intended to sell it anyway. I used it as recently as yeaterday to hunt using steel.

Planner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:04 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I have put my custom tubes in Superposed barrels that the other big-name shop(s) have rejected, and one installation from long ago is pictured in my icon and in big photo-style at my website listed below.
That Broadway Super is one such gun that was supposed to have been rejected by the others.

kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.