CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maxus forend play
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:46 pm 
Field Grade

I just got my Maxus yesterday, one thing and another meant i never got the chance to shoot it, anyway I got it home cleaned it etc and I am over the moon with it. Before i bought it i did see comments about their being play in the forend, mines has that!!

I was wondering if anyone found a fix for this, it looks like to me its the design thats letting it down, the forend attached at the front towaards the muzzle, also on the inside of the forened their is a retaining lug that locks into the reciever on the right side but nothing on the left side. its this left side that has the play in it, maybe just 1mm or so but its enough that it moves, I was thinking some vinyl on the inside on the forend might just tighten it up abit!!!

Anyone found a fix for this?

Post subject: Re: Maxus forend play
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

No fix I know of. I don't notice the forearm play when shooting. The forearm does not move forward or backward and only moves side to side about 1/32 or less. I tried some double sided mounting tape on the barrel ring but then the forearm wouldn't slide over it; so the clearances are very tight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:33 pm 
Field Grade

I notice this everytime i pick the gun up so i'm going to dabble with sorting it, I think its the gap at the bottom of the forend where you load the cartridges that is causing the problem. I'm going to stick little nits of rubber in there to take up the play, I will report back on my findings!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 am 
Tournament Grade

johnnytheboy wrote:
I notice this everytime i pick the gun up so i'm going to dabble with sorting it, I think its the gap at the bottom of the forend where you load the cartridges that is causing the problem. I'm going to stick little nits of rubber in there to take up the play, I will report back on my findings!!

How did it work???

George Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Put 50 rounds thru my Maxus yesterday at a skeet range.
Single fed the receiver and had no trigger or ejection issues and didn't notice any recoil since I was concentrating on the bird; shoulder felt no pain.
Noticed that the forearm loosened side to side just a smidge more than its original 1/32" looseness; however, when I am shooting, it is not noticeable.
I think finding the right spot in the forearm to pad with a filler is the quest.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

RickM46 wrote:
Put 50 rounds thru my Maxus yesterday at a skeet range.
Single fed the receiver and had no trigger or ejection issues and didn't notice any recoil since I was concentrating on the bird; shoulder felt no pain.
Noticed that the forearm loosened side to side just a smidge more than its original 1/32" looseness; however, when I am shooting, it is not noticeable.
I think finding the right spot in the forearm to pad with a filler is the quest.

BINGO... Please when you find that sweet spot... PM me and let me know and all of us know where it is... It really isn't a concern of mine at all. but if I can find a way to stop it,,, I too will do the same.... Thanks... I love my Maxus and I've had it for 4 days and 300 rds... WOW... is all I can say. I have shot many autos,,,, this one is my favorite and I am so glade I droped the dough for it... worth every single penny.....

George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:48 am 
Limited Edition

In the right hand side of the forearm there's a small pad of plastic that pushes up againced the barrel. I wonder why Browning didn't put one on the left side. On my Maxus the right side feels solid but the left side moves around a little. It should be an easy fix, it just hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it yet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Clampdaddy,
If you could give us the exact location of that plastic pad, that would be appreciated.
For instance how far back from the front, how far down from the top edge, and the thickness of the pad. The dimensions of the pad would help also.
Mine has no plastic pads at all.
I am thinking double sided mounting tape might be a fix for us.
Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Here's that little plastic spacer I am talking about. Without actually measuring it I'd say its roughly 1/4 inch long, 3/16ths wide, and 1/16th thick

And here you can see a small spot worn thru the camo on the chamber area where it presses up againced the barrel.

When I wedge something between the forearm and barrel on the other side all of that forearm play disappears so I'm thinking that simply adding in an improvised plastic spacer with crazy glue or a tiny screw would remedy the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

The picture shown is exactly what I have on my 2 week old maxus. And yes, I concur with the statement that the same type of space on the other side would stop this minor movement of the forearm. I too plan on adding a spacer pad on the other side using Gorilla Super Glue and I'm sure it will not only stay, but completly stop all movement. I think in the furture, Browning will be doing the same, can not get a answer from them as to why they haven't done this already... Still standing by to stand by....

George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Clampdaddy and Dyllan,
My forearm is wood and has a smaller metal U shaped trim ring around the rear edge of the forearm.
Just to be clear, it looks like that spacer is in the shape of an oval or ellipse and it is located about
3/16" down from the upper edge of the forearm and
1/2" forward of the longer vertical edge of that tapered mounting ring.
Is the above so?
Any ideas of what material could be used to make the space?
I was thinking about double sided Scotch mounting tape.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Clampdaddy and Dyllan,
Just did a little experiment with some Scotch double sided mounting tape:
Scotch Mounting Tape, All weather, product 4011T from the hardware section of Walmart. It is about 1/16" thick but compresses.
I cut 2 pieces roughly the dimensions mentioned above and left the red plastic cover on one side of each piece (one side of double sided tape has a plastic cover). I then located them about 1/8" further rearward than the factory one shown above on each side of the forearm. That alone cut the movement in half; barely noticeable. Will experiment further - maybe doubling the thickness.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

RickM46 wrote:
Clampdaddy and Dyllan,
Just did a little experiment with some Scotch double sided mounting tape:
Scotch Mounting Tape, All weather, product 4011T from the hardware section of Walmart. It is about 1/16" thick but compresses.
I cut 2 pieces roughly the dimensions mentioned above and left the red plastic cover on one side of each piece (one side of double sided tape has a plastic cover). I then located them about 1/8" further rearward than the factory one shown above on each side of the forearm. That alone cut the movement in half; barely noticeable. Will experiment further - maybe doubling the thickness.

Awesome idea... standing by for the rest of the results... Thanks!!

George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:23 pm 
Limited Edition

My Maxus has bigger problems right now. The spring in the gas piston is busted all to hell. :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

clampdaddy wrote:
My Maxus has bigger problems right now. The spring in the gas piston is busted all to hell. :(

What the hell!!!! And this had nothing to do with you doing anything to it??? Not saying you would, just can't believe the gas spring is broken,,, there is hardly enough presure to break the damn thing... Holly sh*t, I hope this is just a 1 in a million thing.... sucks for you abviously,, but damn...
Well no worries, I'm sure Browning will send you anouther for free,,,? .... I hope...
Keep us up dated on this will ya???

Respectfully,
Mark
PS. My maxus dropped 3 woodies, 2 blue bills and a mallard this morning.... Love this gun and love Duck Hunting... just wish I would have found this love years ago... just too busy in the military I guess... But I'm taken advantage of it now that I retired... {hs#

George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Clanmpdaddy, sorry to hear about the spring; from what I've read about Browning, they will make it right.
Regarding forearm play, I doubled the thickness of the pieces of tape by attaching two pieces together and that even cut the play down to almost non-existent - will experiment further by moving the pieces as far rearward as possible. The closer they are to the chamber area the tighter the fit. Also noticed another 2 spots near the front of the forearm on both sides that could use some pads but I am thinking too many pads may be over the top.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have placed 2 pads (1 on each side of the forearm) at the approximate location of the factory pad shown above. My pads are more rearward than the factory pad and about 1/4" down from the top edge. The pads are made from the double sided mounting tape I mentioned above and are double thickness.
There is no movement in the forearm now. However, the test will be over time and with removals and installation of the forearm for cleaning.

Update 12/22/10
The double sided tape has compressed a bit and there is a bit of movement but still less than originally and only noticeable if you are looking for it. Will go shooting next week and see how it holds up.

Update 12/26/10
Read a bunch of threads on how some Beretta forearms have split.
Have re-thought the fix above and do not want to overly shim/stress the forearm wood so will only add more if the ones in there compress to nothing. Will shoot this week.

Last edited by RickM46 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 am, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

RickM46 wrote:
I have placed 2 pads (1 on each side of the forearm) at the approximate location of the factory pad shown above. My pads are more rearward than the factory pad and about 1/4" down from the top edge. The pads are made from the double sided mounting tape I mentioned above and are double thickness.
There is no movement in the forearm now. However, the test will be over time and with removals and installation of the forearm for cleaning.

I have .jpg pictures on my computer but don't know how to get those pictures into this post so here are links to them at Photobucket.

http://s870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/RickM46/Browning%20Maxus%20Forearm%20with%20Pads/?action=view&current=DSC00737.jpg

http://s870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/RickM46/Browning%20Maxus%20Forearm%20with%20Pads/?action=view&current=DSC00739.jpg

Update 12/22/10
The double sided tape has compressed a bit and there is a bit of movement but still less than originally and only noticeable if you are looking for it. Will go shooting next week and see how it holds up.

Update 12/26/10
Read a bunch of threads on how some Beretta forearms have split.
Have re-thought the fix above and do not want to overly shim/stress the forearm wood so will only add more if the ones in there compress to nothing. Will shoot this week.

Update 01/06/11
Have shot 322 rounds thru the Maxus and cleaned it 3 times with the above double sided tape as pads on the forearm. The movement of the forearm has not increased and movement is under 1/32" and only noticeable if you are looking for it. I will only replace the pads if they deteriorate. I am happy with this fix. If anyone has a better one, let us know. One other possibility is to order the stock pad from Browning if it is in their parts list. BTW, last time I checked, the parts list for the Maxus is still not on the Browning website.

Update 01/25/11
The 3M double sided tape has continued to deteriorate but the movement in the forearm is still under 1/32. I am going to change to the fix by PCM below.

Last edited by RickM46 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here is a better fix from PCMS.
PCMS,
Here is the helpful picture of the forearm fix that you sent me.
I had to use my old Sony Cyber-shot camera to reduce its size below 1M (I didn't know how to use the other software on my machine to reduce it but my old camera had that capability....an old dog did a new trick!!).

I have also included the text of your email so that we can buy the rubber bumper and install it on our guns. Thanks a bunch; it's stuff like this that makes this website priceless!!
I am off to Home Depot to get the bumpers to make the fix.
My use of 3M Double Sided mounting tape is slowly deteriorating.

Text from PCMS:
The bumper is a rubber "Surface Guard" dome style. The base circumfrance is labled on the package as 10mm. Bought at home Depot. ALL I did was take the Exacto Knife in the picture and ' shave' a slice off the to to reduce thickness....got it right first time! ( But the pack of bumper guards contains a bunch, no need to worry about running out )

I then used the same knife to cut the now ' shaved bumper' in half.

I then simply took on half and stuck it to the bottom of the reciever. (BTW, i did clean the reciever spot really, really well with a cotton ball and some automotive degreaser first). The bumper stuck on with its own adhesive and hasn't moved since.

It's awesome Rick, the problem is completely fixed.

Let me know if you need any more pictures or info. Feel free to please insert this picture to the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Folks,
Here is my final fix to my loose Maxus forearm.
Per PCMS, I went to Home Depot and picked up two types of bumpers made by Surface Guard:
Vinly bumpers 3/8" x 10mm and
Felt pads 1/2" x 13mm.
Thanks to PCMS for finding the above!! These lead to a number of solutions.

I used the felt pads instead to allow for expansion and contraction of the wood forearm. The felt pads provided zero movement of the forearm. I cut one pad into two. Each half is placed at the upper rear corners of the metal trim piece on the rear of the forearm. Clean those areas with isopropyl alcohol first. The forearm is now snug, and, when removing, you have to push lightly forward with your thumb against the metal rear trim on the forearm. It slides on easily and locks in place easily.

Here are some pictures: